PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Kwidge wrote: »
    I'm a little late to the party buy gonna get stuck in! Better late than never right? I'm going to be moving to another city soon so need to start decluttering in a big way. Very inspired by all your great work folks!

:hello: Kwidge, it is never too late to join the party :rotfl::):D

‘Getting stuck in’ is a great philosophy :T Do NOT worry if when you start it looks a bit untidier/more cluttered than before you started - you will soon start to notice clear spaces & nicely boxed & labelled stuff :rotfl: & the relief you feel when an item/any item is out of your home is palpable :rotfl:

So good luck in the great declutter :T

F819 Large bag of coat hangers to the Tip

MrsSD
    F819/F20,180 :rotfl:
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also move things around the house so looks better and easier to clean. I always wonder why didn't I do it years earlier.

607-618 books to League of Friends shop.
    619 plastic folder for some of the books went to
    620 a perfume sample binned. I didn't like the smell of it.
  • Chieveley
    Chieveley Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    basketcase wrote: »

The couple of questions:
    1 Am I the only one this happens to? (Surely I can't be...)
    2 Given that all the areas mentioned are now far less cluttered and easier to clean, how much of this stuff can I count in my weigh-in?!:rotfl:

Q Are you the only one this happens to?
    A no, I follow the Marie Kondo thread and they call this "woo" were you get a sense of happiness from reorganising and getting rid of clutter. I believe the more you do the "woo" will affect other areas of your life, (goes back to lurking)
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Rootle wrote: »
    18/52 - stand mixer returned to friend (in a cardboard box so that's out too!) and an olive oil bottle finally made it out with the standard glass recycling!? Why do some things just not make it out with the regular household chores!

The cupboard space freed up by the returned mixer is very pleasing!

Congratulations, Rootle (love the name!)

I reckon things hide. They stand still and blend into the background. I've just got rid of quite a large terracotta container sitting on the side of my sink doing just the same! :rotfl:
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • basketcase
    Options
    :hello: basketcase - reading your posts does make me smile :D & I hope makes other posters smile too :T

Glad I made you smile...

Re 1. You are not the only one who this happens too :o BUT the big difference is I am never as successful as you have been :( probably because I still have too much stuff :o & not enough tidy rooms:o:eek::rotfl:
    I.e. 3 rooms tidied/sorted with loads of items repurposed :T - I would imagine anywhere between 24lbs up to 75lbs :rotfl: as divisible by three:rotfl::D:D

Who on earth said anything about TIDY ROOMS?! :o:o The place is a total bombsite with little wells of organisation...:eek: (Think chickenpox - ya gotta scratch that itch... :rotfl:)

Your Cunning Plan sounds wonderful - especially sharing the downstairs bathroom for the duration :D. I shall 'check on progress' every so often.

Better find some food.
    Did the bookcase sell?

CHALLENGES
    24 for 2024
  • basketcase
    Options
    Hi Kwidge! :wave:

Not been here long myself - it's a great thread. Loads of ideas and encouragement.

Go for it!

CHALLENGES
    24 for 2024
  • basketcase
    Options
    Chieveley wrote: »
    A no, I follow the Marie Kondo thread and they call this "woo" were you get a sense of happiness from reorganising and getting rid of clutter. I believe the more you do the "woo" will affect other areas of your life, (goes back to lurking)

At the moment, I think it's more "aaaargh!" than "Woo". :D But I know what you mean and am looking forward to it

CHALLENGES
    24 for 2024
  • basketcase
    Options
    A bit of a side-tracked day, with decluttering leading to cleaning, as per my earlier post. MUST concentrate on what we’re jokingly calling The Lavender Room (ie the dumping ground that is DD’s room) tomorrow. As well as my foray into the world of window ledges :D, I did a few other things.

1) By the side of my sink was a large Terracotta jar containing a plantpot and a 2 litre bottle with a watering rose for indoor plants. Not sure why the bottle was there – I have a watering pot! Why have I only just noticed these things?! They're gone now.

2) A while back I bought a couple of oven cleaners - because I’ve got a dual oven (big fan oven and grill-!!!-small oven) so thought I’d need two). At last I’ve actually got round to cleaning the ovens and associated racks. Don’t know how long it is since I did them but, quite honestly, they were a disgrace.:eek: NEVER AGAIN... :o Also thought I'd use the rest up on the grill and some of my seen-better-days ovenware. I’ll see how that turns out. If they end up sparkling, YAY! If they don’t I’ll weigh ‘em, fling ‘em and get new ones.

I decided in the end that I would weigh the repurposed stuff because if I’d followed my original plan the things would’ve been flung and then I’d definitely have weighed them.

So, today's effort and totals:
    Mixed recycling, 1lb, Recycled
    Terracotta jar (large)/plantpot/bottle with watering rose, 1lb, Repurposed/ Recycled
    Bottle of Sesame Seed Oil (use by Dec 2012:eek:), 1.25lbs, Recycled
    End of tube of Shea Butter hand cream, 0.25lbs, Used/Recycled
    3xMugs (yes, those mugs:D!), 1.75lbs, Recycled
    2xOven Pride Oven Cleaners, 3.25lbs, Used/Recycled
    Steel bathroom thingy (Shower caddy?), 1.5lbs, Repurposed
    Cutlery Holder, 0.5lb, Repurposed

Totals
    Daily total 19.5lbs
    Running total 202.5lbs

Don’t know about you, Mrs SD, I think I’m the one hogging the thread. :o MUST learn to multiple quote... Apologies to all. I’m off to bed now.

CHALLENGES
    24 for 2024
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It has been about 3 weeks since I've been here.Lovely to see so many new faces around here :T.

I got to the charity shop this afternoon.Out of the house:
    734-746:13 My Little Ponies
    747-748:2 T-shirts
    749:strappy top
    750-751:2 pr bedsocks
    752-753:2 books
    754:My Word card game
    755:pocket mac
    756:purse
    757:handbag
    758:pair of shorts
    759:McDonalds Peter Rabbit toy
    760-774:15 more books from 14yo son
    775:perpetual ball
    776-778:3 t-shirts
    779:aviator hat
    780:1 pr jeans
    781:a belt
    782:pink purse
    783:Whose Hiding book
    784:Brain Box game
    785:massager

Binned:
    786-787:2 bottles nail polish
    788:rubber toy snake (didn't really think the charity shop would appreciate opening a bag of donations and a rubber snake falls out :eek:)
    789:hair-clip
    790:pair of kid's scissors
    791:plastic doll's feeding dish

Off to catch up on the thread......
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• basketcase
    Options
    Hi all!

My goodness, it’s quiet on here today.

Wow, Saver-upper – that’s an impressive haul! :T

Well, my ovens now look amazing – the decluttered oven cleaner really took everything off! It also worked on the ovenware. Unfortunately, some numpty (guilty!) failed to realise it was non-stick ovenware, so what the cleaner took off was the Teflon...:wall: Will weigh the items tomorrow when they go to the tip.

The oven cleaner also seems to have taken the lining off my nose and throat (cleaning stuff often does), so I didn’t get as much done as I’d’ve liked.

Mixed recycling, 3lbs, Recycled
    As I wasn’t feeling so good, I decided I’d just tackle 1 simple thing - the ‘To Sort’ bag, started just before I broke my wrist/Christmas/got flu etc and added to since. All sorts of stuff in there: old and new filing, folders, books, magazines, Christmas catalogues(!) etc, 26lbs :shocked:, Binned/shredded/recycled/ filed/put in its proper place as necessary.

Question to me – why did I keep shunting it around thinking “Ah yes, that’s stuff to sort” instead of just sorting the blimmin’ thing?!

Totals
    Daily total 29lbs (way more than I expected!)
    Running total 231.5lbs

CHALLENGES
    24 for 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing