Going with Bonkers The Pedigree Pooch or Muttley The Unloved Runt ?

Options

Comments

• firestone
    Options
    while you can read reports about dog funds by googling - its Bestinvest who do a 6 monthly report that
    the others quote from i believe
  • aberlyfid_2000
    Options
    woodford !!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    firestone wrote: »
    while you can read reports about dog funds by googling - its Bestinvest who do a 6 monthly report that
    the others quote from i believe

I took mine from Trustnet

If the link doesn't work, try this one.
    You may have to confirm that you're a private investor & accept the privacy policy. Then customise the chart by clicking custom and adding 6 months.
    Sort Bottom to Top
    Then Robert is your Mothers brother.

Then let the battle between Top Dog & Dogs Dinner proceed :beer:
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am using this bonkers method for a small amount. 2 months ago I put half in a China fund and half in Japanese smaller cos. So far I'm up 0.37% and 2.89% respectively. Japan Smaller Companies has been off the charts anyway for the last 5 years.

I used Morningstar to find the best performers over the previous 6 months.
  • Broken_Biscuits
    Options
    woodford !!

There are a few Woodford bashers but the wpct is unlikely to be the worst. I would think worst is Probably an energy fund or something that invests in the Middle East.
    Best is likely to be small caps or something that invests in Asia (or both).

I wouldn’t mind having a punt on either of my examples doing well next year. I would think wpct would pick up a bit too in 2018.

Interesting ideas. Momentum and value investing are not new ideas though and there will be a fair bit of already carried out research on both to read if it interests you.
  • oz0707
    oz0707 Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    I have been doing something slightly similar to the dogs option by popping money into "mainly FTSE 100" companies that hit the headlines with big drops. Its a bit haphazard as I don't always spot them in time and if I don't like the company or the reason for the drop, I don't invest. Its been pretty profitable so far 20% up in the year but might well be more by luck than anything else. Once anything is 20% up I top slice and use the money to invest in something else. HL purchased in May has been my best of the year but I sold out of WPP at a loss after a few months. This is not something I would try with my main portfolio but its quite fun I have a portfolio of 9 shares at the moment.

I use this strategy although its more of a gamble. Did you go into SAGA? I did but should've waited a week after the big drop. I think to fine tune the strategy there is not many occasions when the market oversells and immediately corrects itself. Usually you can wait a week or two and perhaps buy a little closer to what one would hope is the bottom!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    firestone wrote: »
    good luck with your plan will see how you get on - there is also the opposite idea called follow the dogs where you invest in last years worst funds and then assume they must go up but either way its going to be more interesting then a tracker in one way or another!

Interesting idea, but you would need to do some work to eliminate the really bad funds (performance dragged down by high charges; 'closet trackers' in poorly-performing sectors).
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem with dog funds is the Best Invest reviews always seem to show the same dog companies with the worst funds eg Scottish Widows. They never get better.
  • Ray_Singh-Blue
    Options
    good luck. Got to be in it to win it.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    I have been doing something slightly similar to the dogs option by popping money into "mainly FTSE 100" companies that hit the headlines with big drops. Its a bit haphazard as I don't always spot them in time and if I don't like the company or the reason for the drop, I don't invest. Its been pretty profitable so far 20% up in the year but might well be more by luck than anything else. Once anything is 20% up I top slice and use the money to invest in something else. HL purchased in May has been my best of the year but I sold out of WPP at a loss after a few months. This is not something I would try with my main portfolio but its quite fun I have a portfolio of 9 shares at the moment.

how much do you put in each share?
    Another night of thankfulness.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport