Going with Bonkers The Pedigree Pooch or Muttley The Unloved Runt ?

Murphy_The_Cat
Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 31 December 2017 at 4:22PM in Savings & investments
A little while ago on this forum, I came across the term "Bonkers Portfolio" (I can't find the post), which linked through to this article.

Long story short, I've found a "spare" £1000 and invested/gambled/thrown away into [FONT=&quot]First State Japan Focus B Hedged Acc GBP (the top performer when I decided to have a go)which I'll leave in place for 6 months and then repeat the process with the top performer from the preceeding 6 months.

I'm not going to pretend that this is in anyway a sensible way to invest your money, but I'm happy to give a semi regular update, for people to follow my stupidity/deep understanding of the worlds financial markets (please delete as you see fit).

Murph

p.s. long time lurker on this sub forum, first time poster.

[/FONT]

Comments

• firestone
    firestone Posts: 520 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2017 at 6:54PM
    good luck with your plan will see how you get on - there is also the opposite idea called follow the dogs where you invest in last years worst funds and then assume they must go up but either way its going to be more interesting then a tracker in one way or another!
  • Oooh, it would be fun to have a race! :D I’d be happy to stick £1000 in the bottom dog and see who wins over the long run, if you’d like? No worries if that’d mess up what you are trying to do!
    Hmmmm, need new siggie :cool:
  • Bonnie151 wrote: »
    Oooh, it would be fun to have a race! :D I’d be happy to stick £1000 in the bottom dog and see who wins over the long run, if you’d like? No worries if that’d mess up what you are trying to do!

I'm happy to set it us a race to the bottom/top !:beer:

Once you've invested/gambled/thrown away onto your Dog Unit, update on here and I'll sitting amend the title accordingly.
  • Sounds very interesting; I'll be monitoring.
    : )
  • This IS a good method - momentum, used by many professionals, I strted with £5k (not much in reality) and next switch date is 20 APril - more info then
  • OK, I’ll work out the current dog and stick £1000 in it when the markets reopen on Tuesday and update with the fund details (am quite curious now to see where I’ll be putting it!)
    Hmmmm, need new siggie :cool:
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2017 at 8:53PM
    There was an article in the Telegraph a while ago (in first post) with this exact system, and with historical data it worked quite well, beating a tracker. Sometimes you got out too early on a winning trend after 6 months, and sometimes you held on to a loser too long after the fact, but overall it was ok. I'm not brave enough to try it with a large sum though.
  • Actually this really does sound like a great idea. I'm tempted to somehow follow suit in some way but not matching your specific choices; eg. I'm wondering how I'd fare in comparison if I bought, say the tenth best performing fund every six months, rolling over the proceeds from the previous six months every time, in the same way that you will be. Maybe others will come up with some method of their own; eg. third worst performer; median performer etc.
  • capital0ne wrote: »
    This IS a good method - momentum, used by many professionals, I strted with £5k (not much in reality) and next switch date is 20 APril - more info then

I look forward to the update :j
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been doing something slightly similar to the dogs option by popping money into "mainly FTSE 100" companies that hit the headlines with big drops. Its a bit haphazard as I don't always spot them in time and if I don't like the company or the reason for the drop, I don't invest. Its been pretty profitable so far 20% up in the year but might well be more by luck than anything else. Once anything is 20% up I top slice and use the money to invest in something else. HL purchased in May has been my best of the year but I sold out of WPP at a loss after a few months. This is not something I would try with my main portfolio but its quite fun I have a portfolio of 9 shares at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback