ATM failed: no cash, but money debited

Options
2»

Comments

• chattychappy
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    As an aside, I wouldn't recommend my elderly mother to take out £500 at an ATM, which seems quite an insecure thing to do (I wouldn't do it myself if I could avoid it), I would advise her to go into a branch to withdraw that much where she can put it away safely before stepping outside (obviously finding a branch is becoming more difficult, so it may be eaiser said than done).

Quite right. These days she is pretty housebound and I'm always with her if she doing any banking/using ATMs etc.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    By way of outcome, the matter has been resolved.

Lloyds didn't text her back on Wednesday (27th) as promised. She called again and they couldn't find any record of her previous calls or the promise to contact her. They listened to the story and asked her to call back after a further two days. She called on Friday 29th and they asked her to give it another 48 hours and then they would "treat it as a dispute". Well, she had disputed it back on the 24th regardless of whether they wanted to call it a dispute or not.

The money was credited back on Saturday 30th without any further contact from Lloyds and that was the end of it.

(Apologies for the delay updating the forum, wanted to doublecheck the dates.)

Lloyds use of language and their failure to retrieve the record of the previous conversation caused unnecessary worry, but as many here predicted she got her money back.

Thanks again all.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good to hear this has been resolved. Lloyds customer service not at all customer oriented or service minded.
  • Johnnyshox
    Options
    Hi did your mum get her money back
  • Johnnyshox
    Options
    Hi guys.2 wks ago last friday i went to draw out £180 from a cash machine at a petrol station near chester.the machine made the usual noises but no cash came out.at yhe same time the screen went into a funny mode where data was going down at like 100mph.then after a while the screen went dark like it went off.then it went back on as normal.my card came out but no money
  • Johnnyshox
    Options
    So i rang the cash machine and they asked for my last 4 card digits then yold me to ring my bank.i rang barclays security division who asked me qiestions for 10 mins about the amount.bank machine postcode and amount etc.the chap on the other end checked my account and said the 180 had been debited from my account.they told me normally its back in next day but some times can take 12 working days if it goes to an investigation.
  • Johnnyshox
    Options
    So this weds will be the 12th working day.i understand they will check the atm cctv and may monitor the call to the atm owner but my biggest fear is what do i do if they for some reason dont return my £180.
  • Johnnyshox
    Options
    Ive been with barclays over 30yrs and this type of thing has never happened before.anyone else have a similar thing happen.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It won't be resolved or answered any quicker by post-building either Johnnyshox
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    This has happened to me before with £10 and although I was told the investigation could take up to 14 days, 24 hours later, I was told I'd be refunded.
    :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport