* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• VintageHistorian
    Options
    I was going to buy the couples in the family a joint gift & a very small token gift.
    and for the kids, £10-15 on presents or in cash.

Ideas on joint gift ideas?

Welcome Charley! For joint gift ideas you could try putting together a little hamper. There's lots of ideas on Pinterest and there's normally a homemade hamper thread on this forum once we get a bit closer to Christmas. Off the top of my head there's two easy/cheap ones I've seen on Pinterest. The first is "movie night" hampers (with popcorn, soft drinks, packets of chocolate, and occasionally cheap DVDs if you can find ones they'll like). The second is "ice cream sundae" hampers with a bunch of toppings and sauces and cute cardboard cups (you can get nice decorative ones on eBay). Maybe one of the giftcards could be for Tesco or Waitrose so they can buy some tubs of ice cream that they've always wanted to try?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • Charleyalmostking
    Charleyalmostking Posts: 148 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2018 at 4:18PM
    Options
    Welcome Charley! For joint gift ideas you could try putting together a little hamper. There's lots of ideas on Pinterest and there's normally a homemade hamper thread on this forum once we get a bit closer to Christmas. Off the top of my head there's two easy/cheap ones I've seen on Pinterest. The first is "movie night" hampers (with popcorn, soft drinks, packets of chocolate, and occasionally cheap DVDs if you can find ones they'll like). The second is "ice cream sundae" hampers with a bunch of toppings and sauces and cute cardboard cups (you can get nice decorative ones on eBay). Maybe one of the giftcards could be for Tesco or Waitrose so they can buy some tubs of ice cream that they've always wanted to try?

Thank you I love those ideas !
    I think I'll keep the gnome for my dad
    and do this for my auntie & uncles instead as they had children.
    Be a nice chilled gift for them as they love movies

Do you think it's cheeky if i did a family box for them and then just only buy the kids a few presents?
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Charley.I think a family gift is perfectly ok. A couple of DVd's sweets,popcorn etc.Same for the ice cream theme too.I think a family activity gift would be lovely. How about a games night hamper? Game,sweets,pop etc.

GYD excellent news about the kitchen.You have had such an upturn of fortunes in your family in the past year,long may it continue.I know what you mean about gifts for your DS.I feel the same,they don't want or need anything but the gifts represent your love.

Mrs I,what dreadful news. I am so sorry,you must be so upset.Obviously your health is important but you must be so disappointed xxx

DOJ brill bargains there,wish there was a store near me,or any stores would do! I live in the middle of nowhere so have to travel to go to any shops,perhaps a good job lol.

How is everyone? Not heard from some people for ages.

Vx
     :
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    FREE so sorry to hear that your migraines have flared up again, I do hope it’s just a blip. Could anything to do with the diet be triggering them?

MRSINVIS I’m so sorry you’ve had bad news and can’t go on your trip this year. Hopefully the very good meds they have for heart related issues now will soon get you stable and you’ll be flying fit again soon and able to go next time.

CHARLEY your plans and ideas sound good to me. I second what VULPIX says and I’m sure your aunt and uncle will be very happy with a family gift and a small pressie for the children.

LAZYSHEEP thanks for the link, I’m keeping fingers crossed that there are some good bits on offer on 25th.

Had a lovely weekend, DH has been ok both days and we had a good day with step DD and the two grown up grandies and today we’ve been out for a lovely pub lunch with DD1, DSIL and the two littlies. Perfect.

I’ve made three Christmas money holders now so only nine to go then it’ll be on to the actual Christmas cards.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Free - thank you, the garden has been a project put on the back burner for a long time, so I'm glad we're now done with it! It's so nice to be able to use the space properly :) Sorry to hear you have been unwell with your migraines, not good having 4 in just a week. The fan sounds like a bargain, I might have a look myself.

MrsI - that is a shame about not being able to travel. I hope you are taking care of yourself & hopefully you will be able to book something later in the year.

ChrissyG - get well soon! I know a few people who have been suffering with a sore throat over the last week or so.

Charley - a family hamper would be perfect. I would be thrilled with something like that as it shows there has been thought & care put into the gift. My mum did my girls an ice cream hamper last year & she put different sauces, sprinkles, cones, ice cream cups that I think she bought from dotcomgiftshop and then she put some money in the hamper so we could buy the ice cream.

Not much has been happening here in LMG world really. We had some friends round on the weekend for pizza & a few drinks. It was a lovely evening. Then we went out for Sunday dinner yesterday, it was a really lovely dinner but was so hot that I kind of regretted eating it afterwards because I was so warm. Oh well, at least I didn't have to cook it as well :)

Christmas related, I have been adding to my list of ideas for people & have started making the shadow box frames that I want to give to my sisters & stepmum. I also have a few things put away for people, but nothing much at the moment. We are having our bedroom decorated soon, so I need to start decluttering, rather than adding stuff to it!
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

I would like to join please. I love the build up to Xmas and usually join your lovely group at this time of year. I am a Xmas baby as I was born on the 22nd and came home from hospital on Xmas eve so I have to love it :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Munchin wrote: »
    Hi all

I would like to join please. I love the build up to Xmas and usually join your lovely group at this time of year. I am a Xmas baby as I was born on the 22nd and came home from hospital on Xmas eve so I have to love it :)

Welcome to the friendliest group of Christmas nuts .
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Nice to see you MUNCHIN. :santa2:
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Munchkin,we all love Christmas here,and tbh any other celebration too.x
     :
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Welcome munchin.:wave: