* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• princesskitty29
    princesskitty29 Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Yay it’s raining here! :T I’m sat in bed with a cuppa enjoying listening to the rain on the windows, gosh didn’t we need it. I’m also happy as I’ve survived the first week of the summer holidays! :rotfl: This is the first year I’ve had two to look after and it’s quite challenging as Squeak is crawling and into everything now so I can’t leave him for a second, which makes me feel guilty as I can’t focus on Wiggle as much as I’d like. I’m sure this year will be the trickiest and hopefully by next year things will be a little easier as Squeak will be walking and hopefully starting to talk.

I haven’t done much for Christmas as I’m focusing on Wiggle’s birthday which is next weekend, however I did buy a personalised Tomato Ketchup label from ebay yesterday for my BiL. He loves ketchup so I thought it would be a cute little present from the boys, just need to buy a bottle of ketchup and stick the label on. I love finding stuff like this as he’s one of those people who never needs anything and is tricky to buy for, at least this will be a useful present and a bit different!

Apologies for the long post, I’m just having a catch up.

LMG I am the same – I start my Christmas spreadsheet in January! But you’ve reminded me that I don’t have ideas for potential presents for everyone so I’ll have a little think about that.

freespirit I’m so sorry you’ve been suffering with migranes, you poor thing no wonder you went off your diet it’s just miserable. I’m glad the appt for Thumper went well, and how good that they could see for themselves your DD’s concerns, there is nothing worse than having to try to convince someone of something with no evidence. Fingers crossed they can start getting the support they need as soon as possible as it must be such a worry for your DD.

vulpix glad to hear your DD has successfully found a place and great that any updating that needs doing is purely cosmetic. Exciting times for her! The cat pictures sound like a great present for your DS. I’ll look out for you on Instagram!

GIAYD argh it’s so hard when people tell you not to get them anything, because if you’re like me you want to!

mrsinvisible I’m so sorry to hear you can’t make the trip to China, it’s for a very good reason but it doesn’t make it any easier for you. I hope you’re ok and getting the treatment you need so you're fighting fit as soon as possible.

CHRISSY oh your poor DD. I don’t really know much about these PIP things but from what I can gather on here they’re a nightmare! I’m keeping everything crossed that it goes as smoothly as possible for you.

Charley as others have said a hamper is a great idea. I made a food hamper for my auntie, uncle and cousins one year and they loved it.

DOJ I think I missed that you had a baby – congratulations!! I hope you are all well. I wish I lived near a Poundworld as the bargains sound amazing!

Peppa it sounds like you’re busy working away at Christmas things – it’s getting me motivated now! What a lovely idea for your DGS’s I’m sure they’ll love it.

Munchin hello and welcome back! :wave:
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Isn't today so much more pleasurable weatherwise? Got 2 cakes in oven, 1 more to go, then 2 more nearer Christmas, they don't like raisins etc, so can't make before then, so by weekend, and more importantly before I go on holidays, I will have made 18 cakes. I also have 2 full free weekends before I go, which means I can do something about the house, it is a complete bombsite, not having time to do things, and stuff building up that needs to be packed. Having to vacpac, so I can get as much as possible in cases. Thank goodness I have 2 x 32kg allowance!

Hope to go through"' and wrap, all the gifts I have before I go also, can then work out who I need to buy for. Need to go to Costco next week, hoping their Christmas cards will be in, so can make a start on those also.

On weightloss news, I finally reached the 3st 7lb mark, and am now suddenly racing towards 4, would love if I could do it before I go, but hey, still a lot lighter than I was when I went last year :D
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Sorry GTQ but it’s a resounding NO from me. The heavy rain yesterday and the night before was great but the non stop drizzle and thick cloud today is just depressing. I’ve had enough rain now, bring back some sunshine!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,the fields are looking greener already after some rain.It feels much fresher today too.

GTQ I am in awe. Both for weightloss and making 18 Christmas cakes.I am crawling along with the weightloss at 1lb a week.

Well yesterdays plans all went by the wayside. It rained so much we didn't go to the open garden.DS was stuck on the motorway for 2 hours behind a very bad accident so in the end just drove near Birmingham sat for a couple of hours then turned round and went home again.At least he was going home.I did tell him before he set off that the roads would be greasy after such a dry spell then rain.

As it is cooler today I intend to give my kitchen a much needed bottoming.

Need to start writing lists for Christmas #excited.

Vx
     :
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Our hosepipe ban starts next week, but read in Martins newsletter that blue badge owners are exempt from it. wonder how that will go down locally!

I totally agree that people who need to use hosepipes for some reason should be able to, however I do still think there should be caveats to use - I can think of no actual reason anyone 'needs' to water their lawn for example (including several very green, non artificial ones in our road that are no use to man nor beast). Brown grass might not look nice but grass will come back, in times like this (which are very rare really) we should all be sensible using water where it's really needed not for aesthetic reasons.

Sorry...soap box away :rotfl:

stokiebecks our local Poundworld is closing, if I remember when I'm next in town I'll stick my head in and see if there's by any chance any white tinsel. Don't hold out hope as its like the locusts have been through (though loads of hanging baskets for some reason) but I did see some xmas stuff the other day when I went past. Failing that, have you checked fleabay?
    Was this a brand they sold in PW? It looks familiar
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snowflake-Effect-White-Christmas-Tinsel-2-Metres-6-5-Ft-Tree-Decoration-Garland/382524097144?epid=22021637747&hash=item5910368278:g:iCYAAOSwjNZbUi7Q
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    Rain seems to have stopped, good. l don't want it raining when they do the conservatory roof. Have given myself the week off housework, as l don't see the point when it is all upside down with having to move everything out of there till it's over with. Taking a friend shopping in charity shops this morning as he wants a red hearthrug. Other than that the day is unplanned and could go anywhere. Our Poundworld has some Christmas bits still, so l will look see if there is any white tinsel for you too Stokiebecks. Hope everyone is ok, and are getting the weather they prefer.
    My friends DD recently took over an allotment, but so far they haven't done anything to it, lt is a big undertaking so l hope it goes well for them. Right, now, it is time to get motivated, (at least get out of bed!!)x
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I totally agree that people who need to use hosepipes for some reason should be able to, however I do still think there should be caveats to use - I can think of no actual reason anyone 'needs' to water their lawn for example (including several very green, non artificial ones in our road that are no use to man nor beast). Brown grass might not look nice but grass will come back, in times like this (which are very rare really) we should all be sensible using water where it's really needed not for aesthetic reasons.

Sorry...soap box away :rotfl:

stokiebecks our local Poundworld is closing, if I remember when I'm next in town I'll stick my head in and see if there's by any chance any white tinsel. Don't hold out hope as its like the locusts have been through (though loads of hanging baskets for some reason) but I did see some xmas stuff the other day when I went past. Failing that, have you checked fleabay?
    Was this a brand they sold in PW? It looks familiar
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snowflake-Effect-White-Christmas-Tinsel-2-Metres-6-5-Ft-Tree-Decoration-Garland/382524097144?epid=22021637747&hash=item5910368278:g:iCYAAOSwjNZbUi7Q

Ohhhh thank you for the link Kerri. I will have a look in my box and see if that is similar/same to one we have :T

Never thought of Ebay to be honest haha
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, I don't know if you all remember about the state of my garden and all the tip rubbish in the garage saga, well its finally going to be sorted. The kids have got someone in to clear most of the garage stuff and clear the garden, so hopefully by the end of the summer I will feel as though a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders. All you gardeners do you have any advice on the best black weed control, it would need to be very robust, as I don't want the kids spending so much money to be in vain if the weeds started coming through again (its so fertile here), then I was thinking gravel on top?

MRSINVISIBLE oh I'm so sorry your trip to China has had to be postponed, hopefully they can stabilise it with medication, then you can rearrange. Haha your DGS would tower over me my legs are only 25" long :D

PEPPAPIG ooh I liked the tree topper as well, I liked the BELIEVE one but wasn't sure on the aeroplane, but loved the matching tree skirt too. I did enjoy it all but a lot of it just isn't Christmassy to me, I turned off when A P came on as I cant stand him. I missed the Alison Cork hour later in the evening too. I absolutely love the book ideas for the GC, the mirror card is a fab idea!

VULPIX oh that will be lovely having you on IG, what a shame your open garden trip was called off, I'm glad DD has had her offer accepted

MURIE oh wow are they both going to Tokyo? That would be fabulous to see all the blossom. I am doing money this year too for my lot, and filling up a small gift bag with favourite choc, popcorn, fizzy etc.

04624181 I have seen a lot of people have got fab bargains at the PW closing down sale

STOKIEBECKS if I get near a PW and they are still open I will look for white tinsel for you

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY wow 18 Christmas cakes that is fab! If I don't get back on before you go, have a lovely time!

CHRISSY I hope DD is ok and that the PIP F2F went well for her
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mr V got a GP app yesterday as he felt like he wasn't breathing very well.Bloods,ECG etc.Surgery phoned later and said go to A & E,get an ambulance if you feel unwell,possible Pulmonary embolism. Notes didn't reach A & E so they did everything again,got out at 1 : 30 am. Blood something or other too high,ECG not quite right but all just within acceptable boundaries.New pills to be taken. Those poor staff in A & E.There was a little girl there from Guide Camp with a rash.We all witnessed a drunk chap raging and wrecking stuff in the waiting room and being "helped" by security and police.

Free, do you want no vegetation at all?It would have to be weed killer (very strong one,not stuff from the garden centre)Then black weed control stuff and gravel on top.Weeds would eventually come through but if you pulled them out regularly it would be ok.It would be pricey though depending on the size of your garden.It might be a similar price to have artificial grass.Would probs be cheaper to have it all real grass and pay some one £15 a week to come and cut it.You need a teenage boy.My son used to cut a neighbours grass for a tenner and it was a massive garden.
    I will try to get on Instagram,it's hard to pin down my I T support (kids).

It is our Wedding Anniversary today. 7 years.Feels like 47. A LOT has happened in the past 7 years.We have moved 4 times,I have had breast cancer,gall bladder out and massive surgery on my spine.Mr V has written off a car on black ice,his Dad has died etc etc.Lots of laughs and good times too.We have just been out for a lovely lunch at a Lebanese restaurant.

Have decided today to have a 60th birthday party next March.Mr V will do the disco (his work)Venue chosen,need to think about bar and food.
    Of course you are all invited.The more the merrier.I actually would love it if any of you came.

When I was in a shopping town last week poundworld was already closed.Shame.

Vx
     :
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wow VULPIX you have crammed one heck of a lot into seven years :eek: Happy Anniversary, I wish you many more happy years together although maybe slightly less eventful ones for the future! Glad Mr V is ok and good for you having the party, wouldn’t it be funny if we all came and none of us would know who the other was, we’d have to wear badges :D

Can’t help with the tinsel STOKIE as we didn’t have a Poundworld, we’ve got two Poundlands but no Poundworld. I’ll keep a lookout for white tinsel anyway.

MRSINVIS yay to the conservatory roof, hope the weather is fine and dry but not so hot they can’t work on it.

FREE I think VULPIX is right, a good weed killer then strong black membrane (don’t get the cheap one from Wilks) one that they use under paving/driveways would be good then your stones or gravel. Just be careful with small gravel if you have many local cats as they do like to use it as a toilet! We’ve got the 20mm stones and they leave those alone. I still get weeds through but they’re really easy to spot and I just pull them out or spray them. I was the same with QVC, I liked the believe banner but didn’t want the plane, I’d have liked the banner behind the sleigh :D

Been out to lunch today with the chemo girls (I use the term girls quite loosely as we’re all knocking on a bit now) which was nice, we had a good laugh and I had a smoked salmon and egg open sandwich with chips so all good, although I forgot I’m doing salmon tonight so a fishy day for me.

Still not got going properly on my Christmas crafting but my Works order came yesterday so I’m fast running out of excuses!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport