* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Morning all!

Yesterday I transferred all my Christmas savings pot into my separate account so it is ready to spend as I see things. I also ordered some my first main bits towards this years gifts. I have ordered personalised slate coasters as family gifts. Think that goes with most home decor so don't need to worry about colour schemes . The adults will then get a voucher for one of the coffee shop chains as we have done that previous years and they have all enjoyed going out for a treat coffee and cake after Christmas when money maybe a bit scarce for some.

My mum has said she wants a walk in greenhouse so hopefully some of the shops will be reducing them now it is getting later in the year.

Must try so hard this year to stick to my budget. I fail most years :rotfl:
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Stokie- we had a personalised slate plaque as a wedding anniversary present but the writing rubbed away very quickly. I would recommend applying a thin layer of varnish over the coaster when they come so they dont wear away while they are being used x. Also Wilkinsons sell off their garden stuff quite cheaply and I know mom has had a walk in greenhouse from there in the past for about £15.
    Mrs I- sorry about China , must have been a blow but health comes first xx.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Finally off work until Aug 25th :T , im taking Dd to her grans tomorrow to deliver their christmas gifts .

After a bit of fiddling around i now have Dd's lucky dip advent completed and quite a lot of items for her and hubby so i feel like im back on track .

Vulpix -Have you been to Denby pottery village ? It looks like it might be worth a visit hoping to go the end of September . It has factory shop , gift emporium and a farm shop among other things its just north of Derby hubby reckons about an hour from us .

Dd's pip f2f seemed to go ok *i think * the lady was nice we were only in 20 minutes and she wasnt asked to do any exercises , just the long wait now !
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Apologies again for my extended absence, still have garden / building saga ongoing, really quite upset we've missed most of this lovely summer with no garden again after the cowboy that stuffed it up last year. Still, worse things happen at sea as they say.

I can however report that I have made progress on the Christmas front.
    I picked up 3 packs of cut little craft coloured penguin gift tags with Pom Pom noses for 30p a pack (not really needed but a future bargain). I was then passing the next day and they had reduced all Xmas items to 5 for £1! So I picked up a few bits for DN x2 including a couple of plastic beakers with twirly straws, some naughty elf pencils and a naughty elf snap game (amazingly with all cards present when I counted them later), and a couple of silly plastic mason jar things for me and OH with straws so we don't spill our Xmas Baileys :rotfl:
    I also picked up a table runner with grey stars that I thnk I might put over our lounge sideboard as it goes with the colour scheme.

Then I was passing yesterday, and the store was closing, they were offering 'fill a basket for £2' well, some people had 10+ baskets! It was crazy, again I picked up a few bits for DN like decorate your own Easter eggs. The shop guy also chucked some cigarette filters into my basket...which is fine ...except I don't smoke :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fab bargains Kerri Gt

Chrissy fingers crossed now for the pip result.Thanks for that idea,might suggest it for tomorrow as we are going to Nottingham to take the borrowed van back. We went to Banbury today to move my son with the van and went past the wedgewood factory and I thought that would be somewhere to visit. I usualy try to save my Tesco vouchers to spend with Denby.Derby is about an hour away from me too.

Stokie,budgets are only estimates!

Today we moved my son in 30 degree heat.Up 2 flights of stairs.Some of the furniture has come back as it wasn't needed and in the case of an arm chair wouldn't fit through the door! I have had this arm chair in my kitchen now for the past year. It is though a very well travelled arm chair. His sister had it in Sheffield for a few weeks and then sent it back again. It may have to go to Nottingham to Mr V's Mum's garage.

My house is a complete tip with all my sons stuff,he has had it in storage at his GF's parents barn since before he went to Cananda.He has also been to his Grans and got boxes of books from her loft.I think he needs to take a lot of stuff to the charity shop.

I had my Christmas stash out the other day.I have had some ideas for people too.

DD2 is going to Anglesy tomorrow camping with her friends family for a few days.

I am dreading anyone calling unexpectedly whilst the house looks like steptoes yard,I am just too busy to sort it!

Vx
     :
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, my Christmas prep has also started properly now. I picked up a lovely ballet play set for my youngest dd at TK Max. I had seen it last year in Smyths and it was over £40, TK had it for £16. It's a little play set for a doll, with a ballet barre and a piano. She's going to love it.

I also picked up a led blossom tree in bargain buys. It's closing down. It was meant to be £20 but she gave it to me for £3 because the AV adapter was missing. I found one at home to replace it. But discovered the little plastic flowers (the blossoms) that go over the lights were missing. It took me ages after I put it up to figure out what was missing lol. But it still looks nice. I'll see if I can buy spares online. But I've always wanted one so I can have a sort of Christmas tree up all year.
    I picked up some other nice decorations all with 70% off.

Nothing much has been happening. We have been enjoying a quiet summer holidays. I have a week and a half until I go back to work and the kids go back to school. I'm starting to feel that dread creep in. But I look forward to the routine too.
    ive been spending my evenings reading and sewing dance outfits for both my daughters. Nothing very exciting but nice and relaxing.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • kerri_gt
    Options
    Well done on the moving stuff Vulpix I expect now DS has stuff in one place he'll find it easier to sort (or not)

nic2075 It always seems so early for the kids going back to school in Scotland - of course they break up early but to me back to school always means the start of autumn.
    Well done on the LED tree - are all the blossom bits missing? Perhaps if it's only some you could move the others about to make it look more even, or remove them altogether? Our LED tree just has the lights (unless it was the blossom bits you specifically wanted?)

Forgot to say I also managed to get some gift bags (deff not needed) and some snow in a can in my 5 for £1 haul. We have a little snowman that we've had for many many years (one of the first xmas decs me and OH bought) and he's starting to look a bit bare in some places so I'm hoping a touch up with snow will make him look less naked.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    my roof is on!!!!!!! Yaaay, I have never seen 2 men work so hard for 3 days, 10 hr shifts. Now the plasterers (Steven and Peter) are working their magic on it. Hopefully done today, then carpet fitter (Ray) can relay carpet and then it is down to me. I name dropped them because l am a nosy mare and asked, so they are all in my little SOS trades book. You are all getting on with your Christmas plans and purchases, l'd better get my skates on too.

Nic, if you cant get the blossoms, collect some plastic bottles and cut out the 'bobbles' on the base, flute the edges, put a hole in the centre and use them. Because they are led lights they wont get hot so not dangerous. (If you cut a cross rather than a hole in the bottom of the bobbles they will cling to the wire better).

Fave cos is coming for coffee and cake in 10 mins, maybe we can empty one of the Christmas cupboards and decide what is for whom and see if l need anything else,
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, thought I would just pop on, I am waiting for my shop to arrive it was due 12.30 - 1.30, the guy rang me to say he was about an hour behind, its now 3.00 and still no sign :o

VULPIX yes I don't want anything to grow through it, it was a wooded area before it was built and it is so fertile, but we get brambles and nettles, so its better if I just keep it simple (also because I am just too lazy). Where would I get really strong weedkiller from?Congratulations on your anniversary, wow that was a lot to pack in those 7 years, I hope the next 7 years aren't as full on! I hope MrV is ok now, is his breathing back to normal now? My kids have got so much as well, all that seemed a good idea at the time or while it was en vogue! That will be exciting planning your 60th party, do you have a theme in mind?

PEPPAPIG that is the thing I don't know what is good and what is not so good with the black weed control, was wondering about pond liner but I think that will be too expensive, its a big garden. Thanks for the gravel size tip. Its bad enough having a dog let alone everyone elses cats! Glad you had a lovely lunch with your chemo girls, its lovely that you all still get together. Yes I was the same I would have loved the sleigh with the banner :D

STOKIEBECKS the slate coasters are a lovely idea, I love getting coffee shop gift cards as well!

CHRISSY glad DDs pip interview went well for her

KERRIGT wow some good bargains had there, the cigarette filters were a bit random lol

NIC aww the ballet play set sounds really cute. I love my led tree and have it on most of the year, I cant help it I just love fairy lights

MRSINVISIBLE oh that is fab that your roof is on, I bet you are so chuffed with it! Are you painting it when the plaster is dry?
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • kerri_gt
    Options
    Free I think the difference with pond liner and weed suppressant is that the latter still allows water permeation for drainage - otherwise you're going to end up with a big....err...pond when it rains as by default pond liner doesn't allow water to drain.

Do you have a garden centre near you that you could ask - even just to get some information / insight to mull over?
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family