* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• princesskitty29
    princesskitty29 Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi all, I tried to catch up a bit but couldn’t catch up completely, so a few of the comments below are from conversations a while ago! Sorry if I’ve missed any big news. I’m definitely getting all the cuddles in with my boys now, I have a feeling boys will stop giving cuddles before girls do?

Thanks to those of you who reassured me after I started a thread outside of this one – gosh that feels like ages ago now, thankfully I have forgotten about it!

04624181 Loved your Christmas questions! Here are my answers:
    Panto = I don’t have one, I think I only went to one panto when I was little and that was Cinderella, but I don’t remember it! We’re hoping to take Wiggle to one this year.
    Christmas drink = hot choc/glass of champagne
    Christmas dessert = strawberry trifle – it wouldn’t be Christmas without one!
    Christmas treat = I’ve carried on my mums tradition in our home where leading up to Christmas day we have little bowls of nibbles everywhere, like nuts, Pringles, chocs etc that we graze on.

freespirit Bless your DGS, it must be very difficult for him at this stage as he is too little to understand what’s going on. It must also be extremely difficult for your DD as when you find something like that out you want to know all about it and what you can do to help him, but as they’re so slow you just have to wait around getting frustrated. I do hope they can see how far he is soon, for his sake and your DD’s. I am also a bit like you, I melt in the heat and find myself feeling really lethargic, I am much better when it cools down a little.

vulpix my worst Christmas food is the same as yours, Christmas pudding, cake and mince pies!! I also don’t like mulled wine so it wipes out most festive foods in one go!

girlinayellowdress well done on the weight loss, good job!

Clumsy it sounds like you are doing the right thing with the exercise bike before taking on the swimming lessons. I can’t swim that well and it seems to be the answer to so many ailments so I should probably get better at it too!

mrsinvisible I’m so sorry to hear about your DS2, life really is so unfair sometimes!
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning All,

How fast is timing ticking by at the moment? Add that to real life and health problems and the world seems to be spinning so much faster than it usually is. Cannot believe the kids finish school next week! Then we have 6 weeks of fun and memories to make before they are back at school and the Christmas preparations ramp up to high.

It has been a while since I last posted due to all sorts of reasons which I will not bore you with.

Nic2075-Sounds like you had a lovely holiday. Love that you found some Christmas shops, our family would have been split down the middle, myself and DD loving it and my DH and DS standing outside of the shop completely fed up lol.
    Peppa-those names for your DGs groups at school are absolutely gorgeous. I hope they both really enjoy it. Let us know how your DGs first day goes. I am going back on Monday after a very good chat with my GP. I have to wear my boot at school as much as possible.
    Lazysheep- Congratulations on your new arrival x
    Princesskitty29-There is absolutely no reason to explain the reasoning for putting on a Christmas film to lift your spirits/mood. It is also my go to whenever I am feeling the same way as you. It makes me so happy.
    GTQ-Wow, dentist charges are getting ridiculous now. Sorry to hear about the Egypt property falling through.
    GIYD- Sounds like things are a lot more positive for you all at the moment, which is great. Well done on the weight loss
    Free- I have enjoyed the weather but will admit that the cooler weather/rain the past day or two has been a welcome break. Well done on the hospital appt. You are doing marvellous.
    kerrigt-well done on fixing the tap lol
    Vulpix- My dad gets gout and I have witnessed him have some very painful episodes. He now knows the early warning signs so starts to take the meds straight away. It does not prevent it but makes a flair of it more manageable. Hope you ok. I am starting back at work on Monday, amended duties for the last week. Looking forward to it.
    Chrissyg- 8am-8pm is a long appt time wow! Hope you didn't have to wait too long
    Clumsy42- Sounds like you have designed a good plan to learn to swim and help to gently recondition your heart. Great news.
    TreasureQueen- Hope you hear off the ESA soon. I am sending my PIP forms in tomorrow.
    MrsI-Hope you had a lovely time at the wedding. Sorry to hear about your sons health.
    Princesskitty29- I hope wiggle enjoys the panto this year. This will be our 5th year of doing pantos as a family of 4 and we absolutely love it. It has become a real tradition. This year it will be on Christmas Eve which makes it even more special.

Sorry for the long post, I have not been on for a while. Sorry if I have missed anybody out, I am typing but getting interrupted by kids wanting food, drink and entertaining lol
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vulpix wrote: »

Chrissy G I did house viewings in my slippers too. I wanted to ask you if you have ever been to Naylor garden pots factory shop? It is not far from Cannon Hall which you recommended last year or the year before.
    Any other nice places to visit also most welcome.

I havent heard of that before but may have to have a visit . We loved the tropical butterfly house and the Yorkshire wildlife park .

I have managed to find a local artist who is going to do a drawing of Hannahs crush William Beck so that’s another xmas gift sorted . Crush is understating it “slightly”lol
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks ChrissyG.

Well The purchasing has begun.Lazy Susan cake decorating table thingy and afternoon tea cake recipe book for DD2.

Had an idea for DS,some lecruset mugs which he likes.

Did a days house viewings yesterday with DD1.The one I was pushing her towards which looked lovely in the photos turned out to be a bit rough.Poor workmanship on kitchen etc. So it is back to a complete doerupper currently tennanted to some people who were in bed when we got there,at 5:30pm.It is in the area she wants and 20k cheaper than the one that looks nice in photos only. so she is going to go back with a builder friend.It is a very fast market there at the moment so she needs to get on with it.

We had some rain last night,just a short burst but it feels fresher now.

Vx
     :
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hello all, I am so rubbish at reading & posting lately!! I don't know why I'm so busy because when I actually try to think of what's keeping me busy, I can't really think what I've been doing.

We had a lovely weekend. Took a trip to Ogmore by Sea on Saturday morning. It was very windy down there though so even though the sun was out, it felt quite chilly. Problem is because it was a spur of the moment decision at 9am, we didn't really take much with us, so didn't even have a light jacket we could put on.It was still nice to spend an hour there enjoying the view & then we went somewhere for some lunch a little bit later on. Our garden is about 90% done now, woohoo!! Every year we end up trying to sort the garden out when we've got nice weather, but then by the time we actually finish it, the weather turns again so we don't get to use it. So this year we timed it a bit better & obviously been lucky that we seem to be having a long stretch of good weather.

0462 - time is just whizzing by isn't it! We were having this conversation in work the other day because we were trying to figure out when a particular movie came out. It turned out the movie was 16 years old!! I honestly could have sworn it was only about 8 years old. I also can't believe it's July already. I can actually feel myself getting excited for Christmas now & starting to come up with ideas for people.
    GTQ - dentist charges are ridiculous. OH's father has to have a load of work done & it looks like in total it's going to cost him around £10k!! I didn't ask the ins & outs because the details would probably make me sick, but I was shocked at the amount.
    Nic2075 - I always look out for a Christmas shop when we go anywhere. In Disneyworld they have a HUGE Christmas shop & also 2 smaller shops. Luckily we all love Christmas, so we all go in & have a browse, but as I'm the Christmas fanatic I usually make final decision on what we're buying. I actually came across a Christmas shop when we visited Amsterdam a few months ago, everybody just said trust it to be me that happened to stumble across it.
    Free - well done on the hospital appt. I hope you're keeping well. I enjoy keeping an eye on the insta photos :)
    Princesskitty - I hope the Christmas film lifted your spirits. I got into my car the other day & my music was on shuffle and a Christmas song came on. I was tempted to listen to it, the introduction did make me smile, but I did end up turning it over for now. I think a movie is acceptable though & am considering watching one this weekend while I do some ebaying.

I've started a blog this week. It's something I've always been interested in doing, but was a bit scared I suppose. But I took the plunge on the weekend & got it going :) I've only posted twice so far & had a play around with it a bit. I'm sure it will improve as I get more confident in using it, but for now I'm just having fun thinking of things to write about.

I have a few busy days now. Working all week but also got to get to B&Q to get some nice plants for the garden now that the astro turf is down. I want some vibrant colours to brighten it all up. I've also got to finish my uni assignment, got my aunty's birthday bbq on the weekend & OH also wants to have our own BBQ with some friends. Then next week my mum has asked me to take her to Gloucester because she will be staying with some friends for a few weeks while one of them recovers from an op.

I have been thinking of booking a weekend away for the 4 of us soon, but just can't seem to find anything at a decent price. I was thinking a holiday cottage somewhere, close to a beach although I don't mind if this is driving distance & hopefully dog friendly. If anybody has any suggestions let me know please :) x
  • princesskitty29
    princesskitty29 Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi all, it’s a slightly cooler day here today, about 24 degrees. DH and I were talking last night and we genuinely cannot remember the last time it rained here, it’s got to be well over a month ago, unless it’s rained and we haven’t noticed!! :p It’s Wiggle’s last week at pre-school this week so I’m trying to fill the diary with stuff to do over the holidays.

I’m also keen to get on with some Christmas prep but as ever at this time of year I always seem to have a lot of stuff I’m planning to buy that I can’t get yet because of shelf life etc. Perhaps after the summer holidays I can crack on with some of it.

04624181 great to hear you’re going back to work, I hope it all goes well for you.

vulpix wishing your DD luck with the house purchasing, these things are never easy!

LMG Yes I used to be quite strict with not watching/listening to things before November but now I just think life’s too short and we never know what’s going to happen from one minute to the next! Not trying to be morbid, I just think we worry about little things that don’t really matter too often. Although I won’t go to mad, don’t want to peak too soon! I don’t know of any specific accommodation but we just spent a lovely week in Sheringham in Norfolk, a lovely little seaside town.
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    We have had a little bit of rain, but not enough to make a difference. I love the sunshine & never thought I would want rain (living in Wales we get ALOT), but I can see the grass & plants need it at the moment. Everything looks dehydrated.

princesskitty - if you want to get stuck into the Christmas prep but can't buy stuff for now, you could do what I do & make a few prep lists etc to start the planning. I do it because it feels like I'm being productive then. I am a bit like that, I wait until November to listen to Christmas music & usually movies are out of the question until November too, but I like your way of thinking. You're right, life is short. Thank you for the suggestion, I will have a look at that area. I just think I'd like to take advantage of the nice weather we're having, because usually we have to go abroad to have any chance of sunshine.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Made a start this morning, one complete present then three to add to
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I’ve made a start on the Christmas money cards, the run up to Christmas has officially started chez Peppa :T
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Just rushing in as I have another Christmas cake mixing(13!). La Redoute have amazing bargains clothes wise with an extra 40% off until tomorrow night. Bought a load of stuff for the littlies (and me :o), spent about £50, but saved about £70-80, so the carriage cost is worth it.

Will check in properly later:D
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure