2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Well, today was an extremely frugal day! No fuel used, as oh did the school runs for me. No dinner costs as oh bought the ffoods pizzas for the children while bringing them home. He even bought me some tissues - who said romance is dead?!! I have had the tv on all day though.

He's doing the morning run for me tomorrow too, so I can then stay in bed all day. Frugal at its best!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Kerreh
    Kerreh Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well everything was going well, the month is going quicker than I realised and I was looking forward to pay day and boom... my integrated fridge freezer broke. I have mostly negative feelings about this (it was new with the apartment... many thoughts on the developer because of this and other issues) but I've concluded my mental health and stress levels matter more... so a new purchase is required :( So that's the downside.. the plus side is I can use a work discount scheme to get 15% off if buying direct from the manufacturer and they don't charge to remove the old appliance like many places. That and for the price of a slice of homemade cake my dad's going to fit it too :j

Still looking forward to pay day - will just mean clearing the credit card will be a month later than planned... onwards and upwards!

On the frugal front have managed to eat all fresh produce before going shopping again... had some clementines that didn't taste the best so have zested and juiced them into a cake tonight instead. Oh and I've lost weight as a little bonus!
    Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My built in fridge/freezer (an optional extra when we bought this place as a new build) spent several years not working properly before the fridge section totally gave out. Having done some research it seems the most likely reason is because the kitchen fitter didn't install any ventilation panels for it!! My OH made a hole in the kickboard to put a vent plate in before the new appliance went in last March (there was a gap behind that ran to the top, but nothing at the bottom to create a draught), and it seems to be working a dream. My electricity use has dropped since then, and that's the only thing I've changed.

Now suspect my built in fan oven has always had problems and hot spots for the same reason. I can put a vent into the kick plate, but can't install one in the worksurface like it should have as there's not enough space :o
    Cheryl
  • Kerreh
    Kerreh Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Having done some research it seems the most likely reason is because the kitchen fitter didn't install any ventilation panels for it!!

100% this! Plan is to drill holes in the top of the cupboard when one appliance comes out and I've got a ventilation grill thingy which we're going to fit into the plinth at the front... fingers crossed that does the job and gives the new appliance a lifespan of longer than 18 months :o
    Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My parents have also recently had to have one replaced. Original was fitted without vents, and the new one has been too!! I told my Mum to ask the fitters, but they told her this one doesn't need - so why is the requirement specified in the manuals ??????

OH and I plan to go up, pull it back out, put in ventilation and re-install. But my Dad won't let us if he's around, so it has to be a Sunday that OH isn't started night shifts and my Dad's away.......
    Cheryl
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening peoples

Thanks a million for the birthday wishes. Had a peaceful and restful day - just what I needed to recharge the batteries :D
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • LittleGingerFox
    Options
    Morning all! It's been a while since I posted but I am still on with the £20 a week budget. A couple of weeks I have over budget and taken it off the following weeks budget which means I have £10 to last me the rest of the month :) I think I will go over it a little bit but I am so pleased with myself regardless! I have eaten better this month as I have prepared all my meals, really made use of all the stuff 'I cant do anything with' in the cupboard and found lots of great free things in my area. There's been some spends that I haven't *really* needed to make so they are great things to reflect on for next month which will mean I will be more likely to keep within budget. I also have a potential second job (cleaning) that could bring in >£200 which will go straight onto the CC. Please God! I hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to PAYDAY!
    CC2-Total paid in March £1560.12/ Max credit card amount £6747.03/ £5098 to go!
  • Tanya12345
    Options
    Morning all from a wild Cornwall ! Epic fail on jobs yesterday - all been added to today's list. Been wrestling with budgets and the best I can do for the next few months is pay all bills, feed the savings fund, be left with a pot for groceries, diesel and personal spends. At the end of the month any excess (!!) will go into a slush fund for emergencies. If I manage to get any extra in the month it will be transferred to savings ( ie topcash back, earnings from bank account....). Am also keeping a book of every penny spent, in an effort to see where the money is actually going. Have a thrifty Thursday everyone x
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I am not doing so well with the Food budget and forgot about Muscle Foods regular order...

Can you cancel the regular order and just check out the bargains when you need them?
    Tanya12345 wrote: »
    ...Had a good morning at the stove, invested in a piece of gammon - it's been baked, stock frozen, fat rendered down ( I use this for frying veg n meat when making casseroles etc as it makes it taste like there is bacon in it !!). ...Have also tried to resurrect my sourdough starter, will report back tomorrow !! Happy frugalling everyone

Rendering the fat - brilliant! Well done. :T Hope your sour dough starter can be restarted! :)
    lynnejk wrote: »
    ... eating out of the freezer here atm, to save having to shop. Really glad managed to get fresh 'stuff' at the weekend and should be okay until at least the weekend coming.

Belated hapy birthday wishes! :beer: Wintry weather here means I haven't been near car in past 2 days, have walked to & from Frugaldom and am doing my grocery 'shopping' out of the stores. IF I can keep this up for a week it would save me a bit in fuel and food shopping, as there are plenty of bits and pieces here needing used up before buying anything else.

Hens are laying, so there are always eggs. I have a bag of apples that are kept cold outside, so these can be stewed, and I have a crammed freezer filled with last of the summer fruits, soup, chicken, mince, veg etc. I may even stew some blackcurrants to have with porridge, as I'm running out of sultanas and like to have a portion of my 5-a-day at breakfast.

Stay safe and warm, everyone - layers, layers, layers... I need more layers :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Frugaldom wrote: »

I may even stew some blackcurrants to have with porridge, as I'm running out of sultanas and like to have a portion of my 5-a-day at breakfast.

I've been doing this, and it is lovely, especially with a dollop of yogurt on top. Stewed rhubarb works well, too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure