2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• arc2014
    arc2014 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would like to join please - starting saving for a house this year so want to have every penny spare that we can!
  • cybertortoise
    Options
    Just a quick check in. I've used some of my Christmas gift card from my sister to buy some white vinegar, bicarb and lemon essential oil so I can start making my own household cleaners, fabric softener etc. I have ordered soap nuts to give them a try but I do like when my clothes smell nice. Maybe if I can add some scent to the fabric softener that will help. And I have bought 5 litres each of hand wash and washing up liquid as we seem to go through loads and I hate plastic waste. This should definitely save money in the long term. My aims for this year are to make our home as environmentally friendly as possible.

Thanks nonnadiluca for the tip about cereal bags! What a great idea. I'll definitely be using this from now on.
    Restarted my journey toward financial stability on 1st September 2021 - I will succeed!

Total debt - £39888.13 @ 31.08.21

Current debt - £21270.51 @ 29.12.2023
    Paid to date: £18617.62

DFD: Aiming for end of 2028
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to our newbies - the list of challengers can be found in post 2 and is now up to date to include susieg and arc2014. Good luck to everyone for this 2018 challenge - we've been here for a long while and it's great to see so many new names appearing alongside some of the old ones. :)

I often wonder how everyone is getting on and have many memories of the numerous journeys made by so many since starting this challenge. I do hope that those who have moved on have all done so to begin new lives in debt freedom.

Re the soap nuts and washing detergents, I have often used the soapnuts but then moved onto homemade laundry gloop, which I still use. However, I have found myself buying the cheap supermarket liquid ove the past year and it's things like this that I need to stop! I now have so much laundry from renting out the frugal breaks accommodation and hosting students that I let things slip and opted for convenience over frugality! The plan for this coming year is to teach the students how to make their own laundry gloop instead of buying it.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Pipsmum
    Options
    I am also trying to cut the amount of chemicals and plastic waste that we create, and looking for healthier , and cheeper, alternatives. I have set myself the challenge that as I use up a ready made product, I should look for other options - so white vinegar and bicarb are also working well for me at the moment.

I'm also trying to cook from scratch, make extra for the freezer to help on busy days, and padding out meals with lots of vegetables.

It is great to have a place here to learn and share ideas with such a friendly group of people.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Taking my first venture out of the house and heading to ASDA with a friend of mine.

I need to pick up some lady toiletries for my daughter and some hair dye for myself. I'm not ready at 44 to unleash the full head of grey that I'm pretty sure is lurking underneath the dye.

I'm still working my way through the Christmas meals that I'd planned. We had steak last night, cooked by my daughter and lovely. Tonight it's chicken pie, well, probably turkey...I'm using up some meat that my daughter brought home from work a few weeks ago that I'd frozen so it's probably turkey. :)

I've taken down my Christmas decorations. I got a real tree from Aldi this year in a pot, so I've put that outside in the garden for now. It took me all of 10 minutes to do. The bonus of a little house and a little tree. So just tidying and cleaning to be done today.

I don't have a tumble dryer in this house and I'm hoping that keeps my bills down and it being a smaller house, I can keep the thermostat on 16/18 and it tends to keep the house at a good temperature. I'm interested to see what the bills will look like when I contact my energy supplier and then I may be able to take a look around and see if there is anywhere cheaper.

Hope you all have a lovely day and 'Welcome' to the new comers :)
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Morning,

We have used up the turkey!! and nearly all the crackers!

Am in shock.

Today's meals are kind of unknown, no lunch really and chicken burgers for tea and Croissants for breakfast. Tomorrow I am cooking my first roast lamp tomorrow (tips welcome)

I feel a bit unwell if I am honest but must go out as need new boots for work and I have some vouchers my sister gave me.

I am doing a surprise mini Christmas for Mum as our Christmas has been a bit rubbish really - some bits were good but I know she is disappointed.

XXXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have been away on holiday over Christmas and only got home yesterday. However after great consideration I decided to use the Retirement Fund to clear two of my credit cards off, and balance transferred the next smallest to my Barclaycard on 0% until March 2019.
    This means if I still want to be debt free by June 2019 then I will really have to hammer down the debts and work hard to stay in budget.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm currently spending money to save money...
    1- I am buying some scales so I don't need to go to a slimming club every week
    2- I have bought lots of spuds from the aldi offer to last me for 6-8 weeks
    3- I have bought all remaining stock of my crochet yarn I use which was reduced to £1.90 per ball. I can make 1.5-3 doilies from each one, so that's the year's craft sorted, and many gifts for family and friends. I always feel richer if I can still craft...
    4- I have bought some birthday presents for people from the asda Christmas sale.

With all of this, I have saved around £50.

I am currently planning my January meals and it doesn't look like I'll need to buy much at all to get through the month. I have two roasts listed, using the frozen xmas meat, and some jars that are hovering near their bb dates. Looking forward to a frugal January!!

Will be spending more time at home next year, as that's cheaper, so will hopefully be getting rid of stuff from around the house, either on eBay, Facebook or to charity shops.

Feeling good - roll on 1st Jan!!

PG x

Ps - I have also set up my savings tin ready for xmas next year - I allow myself a weekly cash budget for everything, which I take out on a Saturday. Whatever is left on Friday evening will go into my sealed tin, to be opened at the end of November. This is in addition to other savings plans.
    Your plans seem very sensible and doable. It made me wonder if some frugalers would find some of the other old-time MSE threads useful such as

Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11
    - encourages people to save throughout the year, usually change, roadkill etc

January 2018 Grocery Challenge
    - runs monthly to help keep in your budget. Has loads of recipes at start of thread

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10
    - self-help and encouragement

Make upto £10 a day in December 2017 (January goes up on 1st)
    - ideas, support and encouragement to make extra monies each month

HTH
    ........... Tomorrow I am cooking my first roast lamp tomorrow (tips welcome)
    Sorry - had to laugh :rotfl:
    However, I assume you mean roast lamb. I use Nigel Slater's slow cooked lamb recipe (you can google it) and it works every time and it is delish :D
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I have been away on holiday over Christmas and only got home yesterday. However after great consideration I decided to use the Retirement Fund to clear two of my credit cards off, and balance transferred the next smallest to my Barclaycard on 0% until March 2019.
    This means if I still want to be debt free by June 2019 then I will really have to hammer down the debts and work hard to stay in budget.
    Great decision Moo - you'll save yourself some interest eh :money:

Hope you're all having a great weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    arc2014 wrote: »
    I would like to join please - starting saving for a house this year so want to have every penny spare that we can!

You might like the old thread (link in post 1) covering the challenge to save to buy a house. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    Thanks lynnejk I am a member of the grocery challenge already. It really helped me, so I echo your thoughts that it could help others. It helped me to focus and halve my monthly food spend, and I found some great recipes too.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport