What happens if you want to quit uni 3 weeks in?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've just started uni and am considering quitting it...does anyone know the rules financially with student loan etc? I'm getting a maintenance loan and grant (though haven't actually received it yet but should do very soon), same with the student loan for tuition fees. And i'm staying in halls and have already arranged to pay it in 3 installments, first installment soon.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask why you feel ready to quit just three weeks into your course?

Can you not change your course?
    Have you spoken to the Student Union for advice?

I'm not sure about the financial implications if you leave but I would expect you would be left with the debt for both the loans as you have started the course.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

Before you do anything talk to the university. You may regret leaving so soon. Lots of people get homesick, don't feel that they can cope etc. so talk to someone first.

My 2nd son is in his 2nd year, DS1 has already finished and both have told me about people leaving so soon and it would be such a shame if you've got into uni and then left without a least giving it at least a few weeks.

Good luck

Cuddlymarm
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Bykerlass
    Options
    Sorry I don't know the implications of your debt either. But I would echo the above statements.
    My son when he first started Uni in 2001 felt very much the same, overwhelmed by it all. He too was homesick and was considering the same as you. Please talk it over with someone before making any hasty decisions. There are student counsellors available who could perhaps help you see things from a different perspective. Remember, " React in haste, relent in leisure" Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I USED TO BE INDECISIVE BUT NOW I'M NOT SO SURE!

Rich people tell you that money doesn't bring you happiness just so the poor people don't feel jealous.
  • flake_2
    flake_2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...your probably right i should stick it out longer. It's not definite it's just a consideration and could fade into nothing, it's just uni is not really what i thought it was..don't really know what i expected it to be! It's not the course, it's that perhaps for me i'd rather do it on a part-time basis than full-time.

I'm just considering all options at the moment, so would like to know the financial implications of leaving...i've tried looking on the student loan website but can't find anything!
  • Rikki
    Options
    I would think you would be liable for possibly one terms accommodation and the full fees.

As you say three weeks insn't a long time. My son has started university too this year and is finding things very different. It will take a while to get used to the system and what is expected of you.

Be brave and don't give up at the first hurdle. Speak to the students union, I'm sure your not the only one who is finding it difficult to adjust the first term.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    It's hard to give advice, as i don't know the main reasons for you wanting to quit (personal, academic, financial etc.)

But generally speaking i'd say, don't quit so soon. As has been said before 3 weeks isn't really long enough. Go and talk to someone at the University advice centre (or similar).

I often feel like quitting literally everything when October comes around - the dark nights draw in and the sky is a permanent claustrophobic grey. But i'm generally still always around for November 5th :p
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • flake_2
    flake_2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    I would think you would be liable for possibly one terms accommodation and the full fees.

As you say three weeks insn't a long time. My son has started university too this year and is finding things very different. It will take a while to get used to the system and what is expected of you.

Be brave and don't give up at the first hurdle. Speak to the students union, I'm sure your not the only one who is finding it difficult to adjust the first term.

Hi do you mean the tuition fees for this year? Not the whole 4 years fees?!
  • Rikki
    Options
    flake wrote: »
    Hi do you mean the tuition fees for this year? Not the whole 4 years fees?!

It would be for just this year. You apply for your loans each year.

NPFM 21
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    At the Uni I attend, the policy is: if you quit before December 1st, no tutition fees are owed. Then after that they have a time schedule. I think if you leave after December 1st, you then start owing a % of the fees.

As for loan ect.. I guess as long as you don't spend any, you could just give it back in full, or if you leave before receiving any loan, telephone the student finance or LEA and tell them your situation.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you at the moment. I'm on the verge of leaving, but it's mainly due to the fact that I hate the course as opposed to not liking Uni as a whole.

I wouldn't leave it too long if you are adamant about leaving, your not going to give it your best shot if your struggling to stay, however, it's always good to go and speak to someone at the Uni, maybe your personal tutor?? But remember, they don't want you to leave, you are worth money to them!!
  • Rikki
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking what are you studying?

Is it the mainly the financial situation you are having difficulty with? There is lots of advice on this site for students on how to save money and live cheaply. Check it out.

My son has to support himself and ihas to get a job both while at uni and in the holidays.
    He's also found out he has more time in lectures and the like than he did when he was doing his A levels. :)

This site is also a great place for advice and support. There are plenty of nutters about on here too. ;)

NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport