PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house without a bath??

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Whoops, the question in the poll is worded opposite to the thread title so I voted wrongly. For clarification, yes not having a bath would put me off a house or flat, and no I wouldn't buy a home that didn't have a bath.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I did the same and feel the same. No bath = no sale for me. I prefer showers but OH would never buy a house without a bath. With the shower over, you have the choice.
  • I never have a bath.

However, I wouldn't buy a house without a bath purely because it's invaluable for washing the dog.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm another voter for a bath. Showers are for getting clean in, baths are for relaxing in imo. I like a shower-over-bath setup too. Any house that I'd seriously consider would have to have a bath in it, or at least room for a proper bath.

And when I say a bath I don't mean these half ar5ed, shoved sideways into a corner jobbers. I mean a full sized bath that you can lay down in. Every week I'll have nice long soak in the tub, with a good book and a nice glass of wine. Being all scrunched up and ending up with cold knees cos I've been in there for an hour is not for me!
    In 1811, nearly a quarter of all the women in Britain were named Mary.
  • CHlHlRO
    CHlHlRO Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My first student house only had a shower and I sometimes used to go home at weekends just so I could have a bath. Ironically, I grew up in a house without a shower and hated it, but I like to have the option! I also can’t imagine having young children and no bath, although I know people do manage. It’s a definite no here, it’s one of those things that another house in the same price bracket would definitely have so I just wouldn’t be wanting the hassle of having to change it—assuming there was enough space!
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As someone with a 3 year old a bath is a must for me.

Wouldn't want the hassle of having to have one put it in either, would have to be there already :rotfl:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have said no we wouldn't buy a house without a bath....... but then we went and did that last year. It's not ideal and we will put a bath back in at some point. The location outweighed the nuisance value of no bath. Ours has been turned into a wetroom which is even more annoying than a shower room, as it's hard not treading wet foot prints onto the landing carpet when the bathroom floor is still wet.

(We've also said we wouldn't buy a house which had been underpinned..... and this one has had that too. It's amazing what you will 'overlook' when the pros outweigh the cons).

ETA I like to have a bath as well as for bathing, but also to have somewhere to dry laundry on racks in the winter.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The house two doors down from us has been on the market for over three months with little or no interest and now a change of estate agent. The house is four bedroomed and has been lived in by the same people since it was built in the 70s. It is nicely presented going by the photos, but the bath has been taken out to be replaced by a shower and there is no downstairs toilet. As it is obviously marketed at families, and these houses sell in days because we are in the catchment area of arguably the best infant school in the town, I think the lack of a bath could be a factor, as it’s a high asking price anyway, so little wriggle room for putting a bath back in.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Things I have used a bath for over the last few years:

- Washing off muddy outdoor gear when it was too horrible to want to do that outside with a hose.
    - Soaking wetsuits to get all the salt out on returning from diving/snorkelling holidays.
    - Storage of large deliveries of wine/beer.
    - Safe keeping of everything from the freezer, wrapped in blankets, whilst the freezer is defrosting.
    - Containing 50kg of salt to be used for dry-curing a whole leg of pork.
    - Rinsing out all the equipment and giant plastic containers used for above dry-curing experiments.
    - Filling for planned water outages to have some to throw down the loo for flushing.
    - Temporarily washing whilst the shower area was being re-tiled, and that was such a painfully slow process in terms of having to run it every morning we ended up sharing bathwater just to be able to both have a wash before work without having to get up at the crack of dawn.

They're also quite good for washing dogs in, with the help of a shower hose, but their nails can ruin the enamel.

So I would ideally have one in a house for the practical benefits of being able to have a large volume of water, or a large leakproof tank, but I am definitely a shower person for daily washing so it would not be a dealbreaker to not have one.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Things I have used a bath for over the last few years:

- Washing off muddy outdoor gear when it was too horrible to want to do that outside with a hose.
    - Soaking wetsuits to get all the salt out on returning from diving/snorkelling holidays.
    - Storage of large deliveries of wine/beer.
    - Safe keeping of everything from the freezer, wrapped in blankets, whilst the freezer is defrosting.
    - Containing 50kg of salt to be used for dry-curing a whole leg of pork. :rotfl:
    - Rinsing out all the equipment and giant plastic containers used for above dry-curing experiments.
    - Filling for planned water outages to have some to throw down the loo for flushing.
    - Temporarily washing whilst the shower area was being re-tiled, and that was such a painfully slow process in terms of having to run it every morning we ended up sharing bathwater just to be able to both have a wash before work without having to get up at the crack of dawn.

They're also quite good for washing dogs in, with the help of a shower hose, but their nails can ruin the enamel.

So I would ideally have one in a house for the practical benefits of being able to have a large volume of water, or a large leakproof tank, but I am definitely a shower person for daily washing so it would not be a dealbreaker to not have one.

That long list made me chuckle
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    I'd buy a house without a bath. In fact, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and will in the next few weeks complete on a house that doesn't have a bath :)

That said, we probably will install a bath as and when we refit the bathroom. But it's not a dealbreaker.

Now, a house where there isn't room to put a bath at all - that's a different matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure