Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Would be lovely to hear from you .
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• 117pauline
    Options
    Hello

Well it's been a long time since I was here. I actually logged in because I saw a post about what the poppy represents which was so wrong, I had to put the correct explanation.

So.....
    I am still in Spain, now moved into my own apartment. I have only been here for a few weeks so settling in has been hard (see below).

This bit is hard.... my mum died two months ago. She had been very fit and well, living independently until late summer. I returned to the UK in August and mum was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus.

With the support and help offered by her GPs, district nurses, carers but most of all, Springhill hospice at home team, we managed to keep her at home as she wished. It was very swift, ten days from diagnosis.

We managed to have numerous loving conversations and laughs. Many people came to see her and I spoke to others on her behalf. Mum told me who to call and why. I phoned them, explained what we had discussed then they gave me a story to relate back to her.

As you may know, I have felt very guilty in leaving the UK. At the funeral three different people told me that mum had thought me going to Spain was the best thing I had done for years.

In the end I managed to lose 34lb from October 1 2018 to September 30 2019. So I am going to continue to reduce my weight when I feel ready.

Still have the social anxiety thing but am trying my best to fight it. I have been selling poppies a couple of times and have even been to friendship meetups with a group called the Ladies of Spain. I have watched the start of the Vuelta, Spain's cycling tour; been to festivals and fiestas; been to classical concerts. It is a constant struggle to get out though.

Moneywise, I finally gave in and am in the process of selling my house in the UK. This is stressful on top of everything else but I am hoping that once done, it will make life much easier.

Now I am going to have a look around the diaries
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mum , but so pleased you have decided to stay in Spain. I hope your house sale goes through as well as can be expected. Your life has certainly changed , long may it continue.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,615 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    So sorry to read about your mum.
    Hope house sale goes smoothly.
    Take care.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My condolences, Pauline. What a shock. It does sound as though you spent your time with her wisely and well, and how lovely that you heard later that she liked your choice of Spain.

Do stay in touch with us here as and when you want to: it's always good to hear from you. The house decision must have taken some doing but having your own place in Spain will help replant your roots.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • 117pauline
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back.

I am actually renting here for the moment. One of the main reasons for choosing this apartment was that it had no steps so it would be great for mum to come out. I am living in a small block close to the canal so suddenly I get flat walks at last. I have lots of birds visiting including hoopoes, owls, wagtails and many other birds I have yet to name. The parakeets are everywhere giving flashes of colours. It's only five mins by car to my friends.

It's still sunny here although getting colder by the day. I completely forgot to pack any winter clothes so I am trying to avoid buying any new clothes.

Having a quiet day after the service yesterday. It was truly amazing to see so many people turning up and made me feel very warm inside - unfortunately not on the outside as I didn't have a suitable coat and the wind was blowing a gale.

Hope everyone is going to have a good week
    Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Happy_Monday
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run, and I've not had chance to read the rest of your diary, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry about your mum, that must have been such a shock for you.

Enjoy your time in Spain, it's somewhere I'm hoping to retire to in a few years.

Take care x
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Mum xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you. I am sorry to hear about your mum. I hope that this doesn't exasperate your anxiety at all.

If you being in Spain is helping, then you have absolutely done the right thing. It sounds like your mum understood that and saw that it was what you needed.

Big hugs xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,491 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Great to hear from you again but so sorry to hear about your mum, what an awful shock.

Glad you're settling down in Spain and getting out and about. Hopefully you'll keep this up and begin to feel less anxious. Well done on the weight loss, you must feel better for it.

Take care Pauline and keep us updated when you can xx
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure