Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. - Page 84

New Post Advanced Search

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
859 replies 45K views

Replies

• bd80sbd80s Forumite
    360 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    woo hoo! debt free status achieved, well done! 
    so happy for you :smiley:
    Settled to date - 5, settled - fiend loan, target 6 - 985/220, 78%, re lose 14lbs - 5/14......
  • Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great news on being debt free - congratulations!
    paydbx2021 #93 £1766/£7,250 . 2021 savings challenge £130.44/£1000
    EF £340 . SPC 039
    Savings 2 £8.50 H2S £275.00
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad the move went well and nice of your dad to gift you the £6k. We like treating our DDs too and so much better to give you young families money when you need it rather than it being sat in a savings account earning zilch. Providing it is affordable. I am with your Dad though and like treating both our DDs the same even though they are in  different circumstances. The £250 you were going to repay your Dad could go towards saving for shower room? Congrats on being debt free and a nice new house. 
    Dad has been so good to is financially. As was his dad. My grandad sent me £200 every term while I was at uni, and also made sure that he could help my parents when they had young children. My dad's side of the family are all very very good with money, my dad split his inheritance into 4, so he could share it with his three kids, and his was a fifth share. I received 24k 😱 some went on debt, we got a new 4k secondhand) car and a couple of frivolous purchases (Tele, weekend away) but most of that went into home improvements, kitchen, bathroom, fixing a few niggles and a new decent fence front and back. All helping when we marketed, and helped us sell at a good price. 

My dad had mentioned when he lent us the 6k that he would write off the first 7k if we needed any extra towards fees etc, but that was last summer, and I wanted to offer a payment plan. I think he will be like his dad and will help is with uni costs for the kids. 

I do realise that we have been incredibly lucky and never expect anything from him.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's lovely he was in a position to help. Sounds generous. 
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £[email protected] 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
  • bd80sbd80s Forumite
    360 posts
    ✭✭
    its so good that your dad clearly wants to help his kids out and enjoys seeing them having the benefit.  Hope you are still basking in your debt free status!
    Settled to date - 5, settled - fiend loan, target 6 - 985/220, 78%, re lose 14lbs - 5/14......
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bd80s said:
    its so good that your dad clearly wants to help his kids out and enjoys seeing them having the benefit.  Hope you are still basking in your debt free status!
    Yes 😂

Had the locksmith round and had the quote through. It's a little steep but they are a great company so just going to swallow it and get it done. I know they will come when they say and do a decent job. Waiting for the second quote for the internal window, but that may wait a few months anyway.

Plumber came today to look at replacing the toilet and sink in the downstairs shower room. He won't be able to fit it in until May so gives me some time to save for it, it isn't urgent but the toilet definitely needs doing so may as well get it all done. The shower cubicle is fine, but the girl says the hose leaks so have asked him to replace the hose, head and shower bar. It will probably mean the floor will need redoing too as it's cut round the toilet, but it's tiny so an offcut of vinyl will do, maybe £50 tops and I can probably fit it myself. 

Still waiting for the ridiculous TV unit to arrive, but we will need a bigger TV so I can get the sofa against the wall. This has been a sticking point, so will deal with it once the unit is here. I also need some curtains but the only ones online I like are obscenely expensive and I cannot justify the cost to myself! So I want to go to some shops and actually look at some. We have a fab fabric shop locally so will start there. 

Anyway off to bed now, have not been sleeping great and am shattered.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really need a TV unit? We mounted ours on the wall instead as we don't use ours that much and it gave us more seating space. Sounds like your plans are coming together well either way.
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £[email protected] 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you really need a TV unit? We mounted ours on the wall instead as we don't use ours that much and it gave us more seating space. Sounds like your plans are coming together well either way.
    Yes, we need something. I will probably look at wall mounting the TV anyway as the holes are already there for the cables, but we need something for all the consoles 🙄 it was the one thing me and hubby couldn't agree on, hence the solid wood £500 unit. It is a thing of beauty, but I would have been happy with a £150 one from [email protected]! It's bought and paid for now and should be here in the next month and hubby did deliberate for about a week on it 😂 and the lounge is big so it will not look out of place. It's more that until it arrives we can't do anything else really. 

Full day working today, was going to be tough getting back to get the wierd one from school (he went back on Tuesday as he wasn't coping with online learning at all) but I discovered last night it is an inset day so less pressure now! But I am going to have to lose a job on a Friday to fit everything in from next week. 

Then this weekend I will finish painting the kitchen and start painting the utility room as some shelves arrived for me to put up in there. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I didn't get round to the utility room, but I did pain some of the girls room. O also washed what kush have been every single one of her socks which were all over the floor 🤦 I had to dismantle a broken chest of drawers and desk (another tip appointment next week!) And put up a kallax unit for her. Her bedroom is finally beginning to look better. She was at work so I got to organise things without her input 😂

Today I did the food shop after doing the school run, then I picked up the BBQ I ordered a week ago. Them I spent over an hour assembling it. While I did that one of the cats joined me in the garden (they are house cats and don't go out) he had a brilliant time sniffing about and watching the birds. The other one stayed tucked up on the boys bed in the warm! But A really liked being out but seemed to have Jo desire to leap over the fence (not sure he could do it either!) So we feel a bit more ok about having the doors open in the summer when we sit out in the garden. He won't be out unsupervised, but he seemed to just like chilling and sniffing rather than climbing and leaping. He has spent most of the time since absolutely sparko!

So BBQ built, patio set coming next week. Hopefully once the warmer weather comes around we will have a pleasant place to enjoy 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • bd80sbd80s Forumite
    360 posts
    ✭✭
    oof you must be running on full throttle at the moment with how much you are getting done :lol: 
    excitement must have worn the little cat out awww