PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    I would like to join you all if I may?

I have been on a debt free journey for a few years and it is coming to an end in a few months as my £25,000 debt is down to £2,500.

I’ve always been thrifty to an extent but I also love luxury. I don’t see these two things as contradictions. This DF journey has confirmed what I already know. I enjoy a simpler life. I find it more creative and more authentic.

I have lots of work to do on my house this year so although I approach debt free and mortgage free status I will be dropping a day at work to pursue other creative ventures and gain a better life balance, so I will have less income. I think I can make this up with private work but it isn’t guaranteed.

I would like to post a goal of the week to simplify my life and report back at the end of the week. I hope that is okay?

My first task of the year is to order a book from the library. I don’t usually use the library but I want to support libraries and for this to become a habit. I also want to stop buying books where I can. Why bring in a book that I have to source, buy and then declutter?

I wish you all a happy NY and a very simple 2018
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    We have a couple of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Leaves-Infuser-Squeeze-Strainer/dp/B00IQ4VIU8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1514736228&sr=8-6&keywords=tea+ball
    Mr LW used to have one in his drawer at work, together with a wee glass jar full of Earl Grey loose leaf tea, and a second one at home.
    It gets used if he's having a cup of tea and I'm not. (I still get horrendous hot flushes, so often I prefer a glass of chilled tapwater). It works well, and you can put in as much or as little tea as you wish.

I have a pile of tea balls going begging... brand new in packs, from a venture a few years back... wish I could hand them out here!!! I fear the postage would be prohibitive as they are deeper than 2.5 cm
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I've enjoyed clearing away the Christmas decorations. My home looks uncluttered and clean.

I'm waiting on the light going so I can get my candles on and relax in my home. There's something about the simplicity of candlelight that is so warming and comforting.

Tonight I will transfer gubbings into my new diary (£1 from the poundshop but is jet black with gold spots and rivals those that can be found in paperchase etc) and then finish the start of the new year in an Epson salted bath. I'm thankful for all I have and don't need or want anything else other than to create, be busy and be healthy.

I'm very much looking forward to the year ahead on this thread. We're all at different stages but I've learned a thing or three already and that is exciting in itself! Happy New Year :D
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!

I have bitten the bullet and taken the decorations down, DP wants to know what's wrong with me:rotfl: we have discarded a few old bits of tat from the decorations boxes so they are now in two big storage boxes, not three. This should make it easier next Christmas, but I'm now pondering what I can shift into the empty one to improve the organisation of the rest of my space.
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    I'm waiting on the light going so I can get my candles on and relax in my home. There's something about the simplicity of candlelight that is so warming and comforting.

I love having the candles on of an evening :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What would be more simple life than chickens in the back garden. They are free. #TheGoodLife http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/182-hens-due-slaughter-unless-981473
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I’ve been itching to take down the Christmas tree and cards since the day after Boxing Day when effectively for me Christmas is over but my OH gets sentimental and likes to see them up. Tomorrow they are definitely coming down so I can get on with my normal life again!
  • IrisViolet
    IrisViolet Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New year to all.
    We have our decorations down too and have done a good clean through .
    I also will be lighting candles shortly. Think it gives a lovely calming atmosphere.
    We went to the zoo today for a walk round (we have membership) and that was lovely. Took a picnic and hot drinks in flasks. Cottage pie filling in slow cooker. Mash out of freezer. Will stick it in the oven but making a cake and some biscuits too.
    Been busy freezing some food items that would go bad otherwise.
    Planning on making my first ever vegetable scrap broth tomorrow.
    I've deactivated and deleted all social media. Now that feels liberating!
    I don't think checking fb all day long and the anxiety social media causes is relaly in keeping with living a more simple life.
    I've achieved so much more since I got rid.
    Yesterday i did some mending sewing, I want to try and do this as much as possible too. Why buy more when we can fix what we have?
    Nearly went to the supermarket yesterday at 4 as it closed at 5 and is shut today and I wondered could I fill up my freezer a bit with reductions? But then I realised I don't need anything this week and rushing off to the supermarket on hope of bargains when It will be busy isn't exactly relaxing for me, in fact I felt dread about it, so I decided not to bother and I'm glad.

Looking forward to a lovely simple 2018 xxx
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year, all.

Mr LW is currently out walking our canine guest, Ronnie. When they get back, I'm hoping he'll agree to take down the [STRIKE]tat[/STRIKE] beautifully tasteful decorations; he always wants them left up to see in New Year, but that's done now, so as far as I'm concerned they can be consigned to the loft for another year.
    Unfortunately I can't do it myself as my bad knee is playing up and keeps going from under me, so not a good idea to stand on the step-stool at the moment, methinks.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Brienne_of_Tarth
    Options
    This sounds so lovely to live simply...

I am decluttering this year, I am more than my stuff. I will reconnect with yoga. I will give time to the stuff that matters to me now, not what mattered 10 years ago.

We’ve taken our decorations down today, recycled the cards, cleaned away the festive mess. We’re going to buy a greenhouse and have been planning what to grow this year.

Unfortunately back to work tomorrow.... happily I can do some thinking on the next few weeks....

Happy new year!
    Debt free January 2019.

Now working on the mortgage! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills