PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• Citygirl1
    Options
    Also can anyone advise me on unwanted gifts causing clutter? It sounds terribly ungrateful but I always end up both on my birthday and at Christmas getting presents I can't use, things like scented toiletries that affect my eczema or knick naks for my flat or notebooks that I just don't like because I buy my own and have my own preference. I feel awful giving them to charity but I find that after every birthday and Christmas my flat feels cluttered again.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    kmack shelters will only accept unused toiletries; those binned may have been open for longer than useful so had "expired" or spoilt. I have recently thrown hair & body products out because they had spoilt / separated beyond restoration.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    citygirl maybe a conversation with the gifters would be a way forward?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure schools or nurseries would welcome craft supplies. My grandson's school certainly does.
  • K.Mack
    K.Mack Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I know that they wont accept opened toiletries Floss. I was using it as an example. My point still stands that they are a waste and there is always somebody to take them. Just binning them all without thinking about that is ridiculous. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Also can anyone advise me on unwanted gifts causing clutter? It sounds terribly ungrateful but I always end up both on my birthday and at Christmas getting presents I can't use, things like scented toiletries that affect my eczema or knick naks for my flat or notebooks that I just don't like because I buy my own and have my own preference. I feel awful giving them to charity but I find that after every birthday and Christmas my flat feels cluttered again.

Following this thought - as I threw away a present from a friend recently - as I didnt like it and didnt think anyone else would either. I've just had another from them I dont like and its a bit "distinctive" - and so I have a feeling I'll be looking for a charity shop in a further away town to donate it to (so that she doesnt come across it).
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Evening folks

I just finished baking the last christmas cookies, as soon they are cold I will put them into the tins and give the kitchen a good clean, everything feels sticky from icing sugar and dough.... But my flat now smells amazing!

I feel rather productive today. Last weekend I decided it was time to stop dallying all morning at the weekends and be more productive. So I made sure to go to bed shortly after ten and go up at seven. So far (last Sunday plus this weekend) it worked fine and it is amazing how much you get done.

Citygirl, I can fully relate to the present issue. I got 4! teacups for my birthday, and I do already own enough! One was really really nice and I took it into work to have a nice cup there, but the other three will just catch dust somewhere... On the other hand another friends gave me a book, which I already have but I was still so happy to get it as I really appreaciated her thinking I would like it.
    Can you talk to your friends and either gift each other experiences rather than stuff?

I'm also not someone who throws things away that could just get used up. Ok, it sounds tempting to downsize to one shower gel and one shampoo only in a couple of minutes if you now have twenty of each. But you could also just use them all up, it takes more than a couple of minutes but eventually they will be gone and it isn't money out of the window.

I second Primrose's idea with the things that might pack up soonish. When my great aunt moved to a nursing home my parents kept hover, toaster and that like because they thought it was likely that someone in the family could use it soon. I got the almost brandnew hover when mine packed up which saved money and time running around buying a new one. All I had to do was go over to my parents and tell them that my hover had packed up and did we maybe have a spare one from auntie?

I would also try schools for unwanted craft supplies or maybe the local church or someone runs a kids club or play group that could use it? Or just to someone with kids?

By the way, someone mentioned seeing the flat as caravan. WHenever I declutter and am not sure if I should bin something - especially ornaments or stuff that don't have a real sentimental value, but I still somehow feel I can't bin it... - I ask myself "Would I take it with me to live on a narrow boat?"

Have a nice evening everyone! I'm going to put my baking away so that my kitchen looks less cluttered!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »

Remember that choosing, buying and wrapping the gift is what makes the giver happy. If you give the gift to charity the giver still has that memory, the charity makes money and someone gets a bargain. However this only works if the gifter never finds out that you gave it away! If they are the sort of person who might take it well you might suggest that in the future you dont give gifts or you might try and steer them towards something else but lets face it this rarely works.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Guess what I did 15 minutes after writing about my parents keeping electronics from my aunts house in case anything packs up... Called them and asked for a spare kettle... Mine worked just fine till an hour ago and now it isn't doing anything anymore... So I will get a new kettle for xmas from my parents as there isn't a spare one laying around. Dad was quite happy to finally find out what he could give to me... And he promised to organize me a replacement for the time till xmas... Borrowed from the neigbourhood community room of which he is in charge and which won't be used till New Years Eve...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Of course, a lot depends on space. Keeping something 'just in case' is daft if it clutters up your life, sensible if you have somewhere out of the way to store it AND can lay your hands on it when needed.
    I have a loft for such things, and have helped to kit out several flats, help various friends out etc. I also have a sewing room - doubles as a spare room of course, but most of the time it is my treasured space. I do have one of those poles with a magnet on the end that I do a 'sweep' with for pins and needles before making the bed up!

Regarding the thread about packaging: in my version of the 'simple life' recycling is important. I have a couple of large boxes tucked away, into which go smaller folded down boxes, bubble wrap, other sorts of packaging. When full, I check if anyone I know is about to move, if not, the lot goes on freecycle, and is usually picked up by someone who sells stuff on the internet. To those with little space, or a different mind-set, it would be important to get rid of it quickly. I also have a box and a bag in which I recycle gift wrap (it's a joke among my friends to see what they can identify!)
    Hope you are all enjoying this space before Xmas / solstice in whatever way pleases you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure