PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    There are some free kindle books. I think the website is BookBub

They email me a list of very cheap/free books every day!

Bexster :)
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Citygirl, I think you see on this thread that we all have different versions of the simple life! For some it is stripping back, for others it's about reusing and recycling. For some it is spending less, for others maybe spending more carefully.
    So often on this forum we say ' baby steps'. Do one cooking session a week, maybe for batch cooking, and soak the pots so they are easier to was up?
    Allow some small extravagances! Mine is good skin care as well.
    Take pleasure in the small and lovely things in your life - see a long running thread on here!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    ... Any crafters here who like to minimise too?...

Hi,

Yes, I am a crafter.

I sew, knit and draw (not sure drawing is a craft though). I did have masses of stuff and I have slowly whittled them down to just a small amount stored on the shelves above my desk.

- I have a small box for drawing (pencils and paper mainly as I like to pencil sketch and also do some life drawing too).

- I have the same sized box for knitting needles and knitting books (I used to have so, so many kitting books at one point, but I just had a few now).

- And then a final box with compartments for buttons, cotton, things for the sewing machine etc.

- On the shelves above I have a wicker basket for material and one for yarn. It is all neat and tidy and I try not to buy anything that does not fit into the boxes, or baskets. :)
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Evening all

I like Wednesdays list of things to do that cost little or no money!

I went into town on Tuesday to get the last Christmas presents plus some other things I needed - a pair of jeans for example, hate buying jeans but I can't get through winter with only one pair of trousers and the other one is beyond repair - and didn't enjoyed it at all.... Too many people around which stressed me out. Glad I'm done with it and now all I will need this year are groceries, cat food and two or three household things like kitchen roll.

We finally managed to finalise our christmas plans yesterday. We are always late to the game... So this year we will have afternoon tea at my parents on Christmas Eve (parents, sister and I) and have the "main" celebration on Boxing Day with my grandmother and aunt. On Christmas Day itself my parents will be visiting someone, so I will go to my sisters place and we will cook together and watch movies all afternoon, while drinking galones of tea - and probably a bottle of wine...

Don't get started on crafting supplies and knitting stuff! Using up yarn is on my to do list for next year, I have so much and will try to do heaps of charity projects next year to use some up.

The oven is calling for me, have a batch of cookies in, the next will go in now and then I will cut a third one and get that baked too. I try to bake a few at a time to make good use of the oven. Once they are out I will do a quick tidying tour and then it is sofa with my knitting and an early night.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Can anyone think of a use for foam packing peanuts? I have two carrier bags full and am reluctant to just throw them away if there is some clever alternative use for them.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can anyone think of a use for foam packing peanuts? I have two carrier bags full and am reluctant to just throw them away if there is some clever alternative use for them.

Presumably they are not the biodegradable ones? We had a load from Lush but they are made of potato starch, they went in the compost...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Do you know anyone who makes & sells on Ebay or Etsy, they may bs able to use them for packaging?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Please may I join in? I found this thread after searching for a 2017 declutter thread - no joy BUT this thread seems to fit the bill.
    I am on the start of my journey to a simple life by decluttering. Retired, no children, DH, can knit & bake.

I am currently reading the entire thread and hope to post soon.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone think of a use for foam packing peanuts? I have two carrier bags full and am reluctant to just throw them away if there is some clever alternative use for them.

Perhaps offer them on Freegle/Freecycle or free of charge on local selling site.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    What is a “yes” shop?
    Thanks
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure