PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) About 15 years ago, I suggested that my Mum simplify the family Christmas by not cooking a turkey.

My reasoning was simple.

1. No one in our family particularly likes turkey.
    2. By Boxing Day, even the cat was rejecting it.
    3. Whether bought frozen or chilled, the defrosting/ storage was a PITA.
    4. Getting up at silly o'clock to get the wretched bird cooked before the oven was needed for other things was a nuisance.
    5. There was always timing stress about whether it was undercooked/ overcooked/ too early or too late.

To me, jettisoning a large untasty fowl in favour of a nice joint of beef was a no-brainer. Mum was dubious, but I explained that the Christmas Police weren't going to arrest us for eating beef over Crimble. She said she'd check with her MIL (Nan spent Christmas with us) and she raised no objections.

:D So, Christmas was simplified right then and made much easier and more enjoyable by one simple substitution. We've never regretted it for a moment. Just one example of a simplification which can make a stressful day, cooking-wise, into a relaxed one.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    We're eating Xmas dinner at DD's and had the "what veg shall we have" conversation today, (I provide veg and puddings). We agreed that what with meat, stuffing and roasties we don't want to go overboard with the veg she said that we need broccoli and cauliflower, as they're the only veg the boys like, obviously we have to have roast parsnips and carrots and there's no way she can have Xmas dinner without red cabbage and of course sprouts are non negotiable. Glad she's decided to cut down then!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • K.Mack
    K.Mack Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    Bit of a lurker here :wave:
    I have been reading about bullying and not being popular. :( I was one of those also. I find it hard to interact with people because of it. I never include myself in things, I always wait to be included if that makes sense. I 'know' I'm accepted at work for instance but do get anxious quite easily, and hate talking about myself!
    The only person I feel comfortable with is my husband,but even then can feel anxious on occasions.
    I left school just before facebook started and I too feel awful at how the kids can't even feel safe in their own homes anymore. :(
    --
    I too want to simplify things. We own a three bed house and all rooms have something in it! Any tricks on getting a husband to throw out his CDs and getting an iPod instead?:rotfl:
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    K.Mack wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any tricks on getting a husband to throw out his CDs and getting an iPod instead?:rotfl:

I personally wouldn,t get rid of my CD but we had loads of vinyl records which my husband digitalised and now all the music they contained is stored on our computer and can be accessed by a Sonos system. To me it,s all too complicated to navigate though which is why I’ m hanging onto my CDs. I can just select what I want and manually put it into the hi fi player!
  • K.Mack
    K.Mack Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I personally wouldn,t get rid of my CD but we had loads of vinyl records which my husband digitalised and now all the music they contained is stored on our computer and can be accessed by a Sonos system. To me it,s all too complicated to navigate though which is why I’ m hanging onto my CDs. I can just select what I want and manually put it into the hi fi player!

If he was keeping them because he finds it easier to use them that way, then that's fine, but he's keeping them just 'because', and will use my ipod in the house sometimes anyways :p
    Ah well think I will have to find a better storage solution for them as I don't think I will change his mind :rotfl:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    That vase of dried flowers that I was looking at with some disdain because of it's lack of usefulness has now been removed (put away, it will likely go back up after the spring) and in its place seedlings for onions.

A bit early I know but they're exhibition onions. The only reason is I'm playing a bit of a thumbing my nose game at the old, stuffy male contingent on the plots. I attracted a bit of attention being a woman and going against the grain by not having a polytunnel. I would like some whopper onions and plan to have a flourishing plot that is productive and well tended. Wish me luck! The windowsill will house both heated and unheated propagators soon. I expect some comments about the scruffy looking living room window sill but I'm beyond caring what other folk feel the need to comment upon. I'm happy :D
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I told my husband this morning that I would be trying not to order so much stuff online and spend a lot less in 2018. He laughed and said "Yeah, right", if there is one thing guaranteed to make me do something, it's someone saying they think I can't do it. :mad::D

The challenge is definitely on!:cool:

I'm going to make a list of low cost or free things I like to do and tape it up on my wardrobe so I don't feel deprived.

Looking at interesting stuff on YouTube,
    Reading books or blogs.
    Playing with my dogs.
    Taking a bath with candles.
    Trying a new recipe.
    Looking on Pinterest.
    Going for a walk.
    Going to a museum.
    Going to a park.

Well, you get the idea.

Lol. I love my lists.:rotfl:
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was never in the 'in' crowd at school but I was never in the 'out' crowd either. I went through school without much attention paid to me at all , and I'm thankful for that as I was never bullied.
    I have carried on in a similar vein , I just get on with life and do what I need to do. I don't need lots of attention like some folk, in fact my family say I'm the quiet one , well if getting rat-arsed every night is the key to being loud and popular then yes I'm quiet. My brothers and sister are all heavy drinkers and are all in the 'in' crowd but that's not for me.

I prefer the simple life and I'm hoping being part of this thread will help me achieve that. I would like to reduce clutter, reduce spending , reduce stress ( although I work for the NHS so might be difficult lol )

Spider thanks for the links , I am working my way through them

I have joined the ' uber frugal month challenge ' on Facebook for January to reduce spending and focus my attention on simple living :T
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2017 at 10:45AM
    Options
    I think, for me, at the moment it's about trying to gain use out of what I already have or donate if it's not useful. I don't like clutter but for some reason I have kept a bowl and I think, although I can't be sure, it was the first thing I bought when DH and I first played housey.

I have an empty bowl that used to house pot pourri. It's been out of use for about 8 years. It's gathering dust but it's a big bowl! I have a lovely hand made bowl for my fruit and I have a counter top eggs cage so the general other uses are out of the question.

Are there any glaring uses before I take the thing to the charity shop with me on Friday.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fuddle could it house pine cones, dried orange slices & cinnamon sticks for Christmas? Or hold flannels in the bathroom? Or provide a place for corralling your girls' hair brushes & bits & bobs? Or be where DH empties his pockets etc?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills