Orange to close "Your Account" online on 29th December 2017

Options

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Can't they just migrate them all to the T-Mobile/EE billing platform?

They didn't with any of the other Orange acc's. If you upgrade with an Orange acc you're moved to a new EE acc.

These acc's were dead on the Orange system and haven't been open to new customers for years, they were just 'stuck' there.
    There no way EE are going to spend what it would take to write the software to move them, when they're making no revenue from them. They wouldn't even do that for Orange acc's that were making money.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just logged into my account - it says that the 'your account' service is closing down, but no mention of actually stopping the 'contract' that I have (OVP Virgin eq)

??
  • Jon_01
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    I just logged into my account - it says that the 'your account' service is closing down, but no mention of actually stopping the 'contract' that I have (OVP Virgin eq)

??

The info I had last week was that the system Orange ran on is being retied at the end of the year. If that's right, then all the old acc's are going to have to be closed. I'd think they'd be starting to contact customers at some point to offer them new EE contracts?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    The info I had last week was that the system Orange ran on is being retied at the end of the year. If that's right, then all the old acc's are going to have to be closed. I'd think they'd be starting to contact customers at some point to offer them new EE contracts?

Whilst this seems logical, you'd expect them to have started giving customers the required notice by now, so perhaps they've found a way to maintain legacy tariffs on the new system.
  • Jon_01
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Whilst this seems logical, you'd expect them to have started giving customers the required notice by now, so perhaps they've found a way to maintain legacy tariffs on the new system.

Just spoken with another of the guys that still works there. The external billing platform (Your Account) side is closing at the end of the year, as we knew.
    The whole system, legacy accounts and all, will get closed down 'early next year'. EE will will be contacting everyone with the old accounts to give them the option to move to EE or have their pac's.
    I wonder how many people have moved since talking out a OVP plan and not updated their info with Orange?
    All the sims in draws that get used once every few months to keep them live. And all the old Orange PAYG accounts where there's no address supplied (and there were LOTS of those!).

Fun times ahead. . .
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And when they lose their account it will be EE's fault for not being psychic and knowing their new address!, why didn't EE phone them all personally?
    Oh, dear customers eh!
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey. They could txt them :T

I wonder how many people have moved since talking out a OVP plan and not updated their info with Orange?

Yeah they probably had an orange/freeserve email address which closed in May :laugh:
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd think they'd be starting to contact customers at some point to offer them new EE contracts?
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Hey. They could txt them :T

Better get the old Nokia out of the glovebox in case I get a text.

Our Kid and his Mrs both still have 'OVP/Virgin Eq' accounts that they use regularly.
    I'd better inform them!

Like you said ... fun time ahead!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Our Kid and his Mrs both still have 'OVP/Virgin Eq' accounts that they use regularly.

They’re doing you a favour if you and your family are regular users. There are far cheaper options available these days.
    ====
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CSS/Merlin which is the legacy Orange system, is also used for Corporate EE 4G accounts so the system as such won’t be retired, but the Orange brand will be as far as Orange personal and small business accounts go...
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure