Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Options

Comments

• miss_corerupted
    Options
    Could someone please give me a bit of help with the Droid thing ?

Thank you
    I have dyslexia, so get used to my spelling and grammar :)
    Mortgage pay off date 11/2028. Target 12/2020 :rotfl:
    Current Balance £33921
    Declutter 2123/2016
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    tweets wrote: »
    Altojack told me to post this :)

I bought some food bits at Asda today including a cauliflower £1 APG picking up Tesco caulk at 29p. Not sure about the other veggies though .

Thanks tweets and Altojack :)

A's potatoes and veg are going down to 20p, this weekend I think. Last year they had the broccoli but not cauliflower, so I'll get the cauli A v T and hang fire with the rest until the Asda prices drop.
  • Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 December 2017 at 11:05PM
    Options
    curl_girl wrote: »
    Well, thought we were back to normal with the weather. Just looked out and we've had over 3" of snow again in a short time! Grrrr

I know. It seems I went out to M today in the window of one day when we didn't have snow. (I did one store on Monday, when there was still some snow around but the main roads fairly clear - one store was just an interim stop-gap and I wasn't going to do more than that.) Today the snow had nearly gone - there was a tiny bit of snow still on my street but the rain had washed most of everything else away this afternoon. Now, once I've got back, it's covered again. I threatened to slip on the ice earlier though if I stepped out of the car into the middle of the road:eek:. Everywhere else was fine, just my street.

This was foreseen - I saw the forecast all of a sudden showing snow for 7pm today:(. Just slap bang in the time when I might have been driving back - I decided to stay with my original plan though, to drive east then west, as the journey to the west was a shorter one and, if there was snow, I would rather be driving back that way than the other way. It might have made no difference though, as the journey on Google maps, not even at rush hour, was showing almost the same amount of time despite being half the distance:(:( - I think people have decided to leave work early this afternoon which was what caused more traffic but in the event the journey was not too bad and didn't take me as long as Google said. I was running ahead of schedule anyway and managed to arrive at my last store for the 5-6pm rush hour period:T. Leaving the store at 6pm - missing rush hour! - and I got back fine. That can be a bad journey at that time of day though and I did get stuck in a queue there sometime before. As I had arrived back from my earlier store after 4pm, to go out again, I decided just to go straight out - rather than wait until tea and then try to go out after 6 - going out straight away, if I got caught in traffic there or back, it would just take as long as it taked. Had I gone after 6, I would have been caught by the snow on the way back (most importantly right at the end, trying to drive to my own street). It turned out that I probably wouldn't have made had I decided to wait over teatime, which I usually do, and then go out - coming back, the traffic the other way was already heavy (so I would have got caught up in that post-6pm).

Instead, I decided to risk a rush hour journey - but in the event got to my store at bang on 5pm (the radio news literally started as I was driving onto M's premises, listening out for all those traffic updates and preparing to frown about some accident on the way back that would delay me - instead the news was about slow traffic the other way - though I may well have short-cut the journey back by taking a detour rather than risking the same route as there was a lot of traffic coming back that way when I was going out). I still take far too long at my stores:rotfl:. (This one was meant to be around 30 minutes - but it was nearly an hour. However, it meant I happened to miss rush hour entirely (or maybe people had left early this afternoon and therefore even less traffic now there at 6pm) and I had already planned for me to be back an hour later than I was, being pessimistic that I might get caught up in the longest traffic jam ever either there or back.)

Therefore I have managed to fit in all the stores I need (of anything realistic today anyway) and got back just in time for the snow to start almost immediately afterwards. We are cooped up again, possibly for another few days, here in the warmth.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could someone please give me a bit of help with the Droid thing ?

Thank you

Ask away and I am sure we will help if we can :A.

Anon
  • Savvybuyer
    edited 13 December 2017 at 11:28PM
    Options
    Chrisv wrote: »

A's potatoes and veg are going down to 20p, this weekend I think. Last year they had the broccoli but not cauliflower, so I'll get the cauli A v T and hang fire with the rest until the Asda prices drop.

Thanks for this - I had altered the M list (on the 2.5Kg White Potatoes) after the tip-off about T going to be 29p today. I don't know whether White Potatoes would have compared Avs T anyway as T has changed to Redmere Farms recently - had it been "T Redmere Farms", as I think it may be on some products in the range, rather than plain "Redmere Farms", it might have worked. I realised I had my last potatoes vs M at now expensive 2 for £2:eek: (and M still stuck on that today it seems) but then realised I had already redeemed the receipt and got rid of it so can't see if my vs M picked up T's then price on the potatoes. I was suggesting buy in T due to the doubt about whether A's potatoes would therefore compare. However, I also suggested perhaps best to hold back a little and see if the other retailers put their prices down like they did last year.
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    [Strike]2xASDA Farm Stores White Potatoes (2.5Kg)£1.19x2 Any 2 for £2.00:eek:[/Strike] :eek::eek::eek:Redmere Farms White Potatoes (2.5Kg) 29p in T soon, but have a look around as retailers compete as the place to draw us into hoping for us to do full shopping there.
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    [Strike]Morrisons Wonky Potatoes (2.5Kg)£1.00:eek: JMB Farming 2Kg Potatoes 59p in Home Bargains 11/11.[/Strike] Redmere Farms White Potatoes (2.5Kg) 29p T from 13/11 - however KIV as other retailers may match or become cheaper.

The three additional eeks about how expensive those vs 2 for £2 potatoes were last time.

I am pleased therefore to see it looks like A may be coming down. Good just to spend some vouchers on without getting anything back from them (other than the 'cheap' veg. itself:T).

I notice carrots at 29p earlier - yes it is wrong to get too excited about that as Aldi (and then Lidl) went to 19p before:rotfl:. (Lidl did so last time, probably in response to Aldi's going to 19p, only after I had bought at 29p a few days before:(.) We may well see carrots at expensive 20p in A:(:rotfl: but back at 19p in Aldi.
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    Options

According to hukd it's from 20th to 27th - seems a bit late? - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/christmas-veg-packs-at-asda-for-20p-from-20th-27th-december-2851314
  • hampydoodums
    Options
    Thanks again for your list 3D, just noticed you’ve updated it this evening :)
    :happylove Nanny to 2 Cherubs :happylove
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Or is it just T has started early?

Anon
  • Savvybuyer
    Options
    nettiebobs wrote: »
    Mmmm, I bought a potato and leek today which I haven't before. Maybe it's that little blighter.:(
    Can't grumble, I used 4 soup coupons and an APG from a previous soup shop. Got 34p so hey ho.

I've now tried Potato & Leek on W's site. The product got picked up by the APG (or something at £1.10 did) and clicking on the "Add 4 for £3" offer (on w.com) does bring up the other soups in W's offer, so I can't see any obvious problem there. I don't know what they go into the basket as on w.com, either four of that one or mixed and matched? Maybe it's just a random combination that doesn't work today:(.
  • Savvybuyer
    edited 13 December 2017 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Or is it just T has started early?

Anon

No, A is definitely a bit late if it's starting only on 20th December:(. (I now have a 2.5Kg bag, of which we have used some tonight, to try to hold out until then. I don't think it's going to work:( - I will have to buy one from T at 29p before then (or if Aldi comes to the rescue slightly cheaper - saying that, though, I can't ignore what Aldi did when I tried for potatoes there recently - it seems they had got rid of Eday Potatoes 5Kg at £2, same price as M but we were desperate - one of those emergency unplanned purchases as I didn't notice we were out of potatoes and someone waited until we actually were out before they then told me:(:mad: - but Aldi seemed no longer to have 5Kg instead they are now 4Kg:( at £1.60 I think, which is of course a substantial price increase - this all on the now looking expensive eday prices of the rest of the year - so I ended up having to buy from M at 2.5Kgx2 for £2.))

The potatoes at 20p could have been, or could still be once they eventually:( go on, good if they don't compare against T. Obviously no use before then if that's the case - or maybe they compare against T on and off? I don't know what happens with them (whether the APG sometimes picks up "Redmere Farms" as comparable and sometimes it doesn't) - I may just ending up buying at T at 29p (just one bag now though, in the expectation of A at 20p when they are running out). I am sure people will buy them on wombles once they are finally 20p so we'll see if there is any T comp. and whether they are then good N/A fillers or not.

If they are only going to 20p on 20th December, we ought to be writing en masse to A telling them how we need to get our Christmas shopping done before then and will now be shopping at Mr T for our shopping as they are 29p there sooner and their 20p comes too late for our shopping. If they can't get 20p there sooner, we will have to do our shopping at T.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure