Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

The Edcawber Principle - Page 154

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Edcawber Principle

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2K replies 227.5K views

Replies

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    In that case you will need to consider what you do with it at home to dry and air it so you don't arrive in the office wearing eau de mildew instead of your usual cologne. I can see your helmet comfortably nestling under your desk - it is the slightly sweaty over garments and water/weather-proof garments I am thinking about. Even the gloves (and hands(!)) of a certain colleague resulted in the predominant smell in the office.

The women who sat near his kit (on a coat-stand) were really suffering and asked me to speak to him. I did, when I had a visitor coming in and was very polite. He was very lovely about it. Next thing, he had arranged for cage lockers in the bike store so everyone's stuff was stored near their bikes. Then showers were installed downstairs too, with closed lockers for towels, toiletries and work clothes.

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just add stuff to the wash? I was going to the gym every 2 days for months and my clothes never stank :)

The vast majority of our DDs have gone out today, a bit skint, but the budget is looking healthy and our age of money is up to 5 days.
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are obviously closer to godliness than he was :). Just something else to consider. We are heading for a super-skint September. :o

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A stressful week - not enough sleep, horrible dreams and work is super busy :eek:

Thankfully DD goes back to her usual nursery in just over a week, our first experience of covering the school summer holidays has been an absolute nightmare. Routine shot to pieces, no time to exercise (or think) for either of us and we have been driven around the bend with her constant demands for imaginative play - at least at nursery she gets to subject her peers to this nonsense!!! :rotfl:

We are currently re-training her to go to sleep independently (the habit fell away during and after the chickenpox). A small bribe may be involved :o

Still budgeting our socks off.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    School holidays are not easy.
    Bribes are fine.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 9 August 2019 at 8:01PM
    rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2019 at 8:01PM
    beanielou wrote: »
    ...Bribes are fine...

Indeed they are!:D:D:D

Many of my friends' (now grown) children would never admit that some serious incentives always had them in bed & asleep before their parents came home! :rotfl::rotfl: They would proudly boast the next day 'I was good for Aunty!':rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well done on the budget juggling Ed - it's [email protected] hard to keep it going!
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • edited 11 August 2019 at 5:37PM
    edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2019 at 5:37PM
    What a miserable weekend we've had (rain)!

Have been trying to rejig budgets, but the ever helpful Mrs E keeps reminding me of other things that we need to pay for :eek:

Currently moaning about a missed [email protected] delivery, oh joy :rotfl:

I hope the rest of you have had more fun?

*Edit: £5 voucher - not bad :D
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more dreams about death - I think going back to the gym helped :rotfl:

DD achieved her week of going to sleep by herself and has been sanguine about the fact that it's now an every night thing. Her bribe hasn't arrived yet, but she changed her mind (for something that cost 1/3 of the price) ;)

The work week was a little skivey as my boss is on holiday, but it was still a productive week.

I have started budgeting for next month, our "age of money" is up to 15 days on YNAB and we're being sensible.

I switched to a new sim only mobile phone contract - it's another annoying [email protected] one with cashback that costs £19 a month (£9 after cashback). For that I basically get the market leading data quantity of the current 3 offer, but on O2, a non-!!!! network :money: £19 cheaper than my old tariff, as no phone bundled. Have also cancelled National Trust for Scotland membership, saving another £9/month.

Hope you are all well in internet land :beer:
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your weekend~~hope it's not too wet!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This week's good news belongs to Mrs E - she has been offered a new job and is currently negotiating the salary up :dance: