Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

The Edcawber Principle - Page 153

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Edcawber Principle

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
1.9K replies 223.7K views

Replies

• rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...Anybody else bored of budgeting chat yet?...

Not at all! - It's great to hear your thinking process & budget tweaks as a result of.
    3.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost never bored of the budgeting chat (also post on YNAB's forums, which obviously devote themselves to budgeting). :)

Hope the spending cuts are easily managed - the brilliant (& not so brilliant) thing about YNAB is it does force you to face the music regarding what you actually spend on a regular basis. (But then there are very few surprise bills to contend with!) Knowledge is power vs ignorancy is bliss, I suppose.

I hate it - I've been red pilled :rotfl:
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that some kind of cure for the lurgy? or a design feature for the app? confused of Suffolk :huh: :think:

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goodness Ed - the things I've learned on your thread over the years!

SL - I had to g00gle the expression - click here for an explanation!
    3.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has nobody else seen The Matrix? Mind you, I just bought it from a cs last week for 50p, years since I last saw it.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Matrix but my brain is apparently stuffed full of other stuff. Thanks rtandon27

Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Has nobody else seen The Matrix? Mind you, I just bought it from a cs last week for 50p, years since I last saw it.

I have caused confusion!

I have also been paid today and will try to avoid spending any money until Thursday when our 1st of the month budget resets. I officially have 2 day old money (says YNAB) :rotfl:

Ordered my voucher for the cycle to work scheme today - £400 should cost me £21/month for 18 months before tax and NI deductions. Works out at c. £18/month, which is a great improvement on my current costs of £45-50. I know there will be expenses for repairs etc., but a good start (and good for the planet). I have been to [email protected] tonight to find out what size of bike I need to order, will do that tomorrow. They were actually quite flexible - apparently I can do click and collect, they'll build the bike and hold it until my voucher shows up. Nice, as I can take advantage of current sale prices to squeeze a bit more value from them :money:
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have caused confusion!

I have also been paid today and will try to avoid spending any money until Thursday when our 1st of the month budget resets. I officially have 2 day old money (says YNAB) :rotfl:

Ordered my voucher for the cycle to work scheme today - £400 should cost me £21/month for 18 months before tax and NI deductions. Works out at c. £18/month, which is a great improvement on my current costs of £45-50. I know there will be expenses for repairs etc., but a good start (and good for the planet). I have been to [email protected] tonight to find out what size of bike I need to order, will do that tomorrow. They were actually quite flexible - apparently I can do click and collect, they'll build the bike and hold it until my voucher shows up. Nice, as I can take advantage of current sale prices to squeeze a bit more value from them :money:

That sounds like a good deal :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That all sounds marvellous - have you explored a place to store your gear (and bike) at work? I recall a very err pungent corridor in the lower ground floor of one central London office of Government where the bike storage lockers (and showers) were located - and the sight of men collecting their work shirts while dressed in their lycra, handlebars in other hand, from the early-opening laundry/dry-cleaners in the City

11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That all sounds marvellous - have you explored a place to store your gear (and bike) at work? I recall a very err pungent corridor in the lower ground floor of one central London office of Government where the bike storage lockers (and showers) were located - and the sight of men collecting their work shirts while dressed in their lycra, handlebars in other hand, from the early-opening laundry/dry-cleaners in the City

The gear will have to go in an (airtight!) bag under my desk, the bike can be stored in a secure lane with a hefty metal gate and controlled access.