The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,652 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    We have been blessed with some real advantages and relatively few real challenges Beanie, you have had some adversity to overcome! We'll all get there. For my part, I am determined to do so because I want to see life after debt :)

So am I :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Argh - nowt to do at work until a colleague gets in in an hour :eek:

£9.56 to be paid off a CC this evening, can't log into account from the office. A combination of a few £ from an old P2P loan and cashback from my S123 account (minus the monthly account fee).

How many days does everyone have 'til :santa2:? Think today is 15 for me, but I have a couple of days leave left to use :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a retired person, thats my story and I'm sticking to it, so I have no days to count till :xmassmile
    The cash fund reminds me of my young days where I always carried a secret stash of cash so that I was never unable to get myself somewhere safe. I had a terrifying episode and this was my mitigation. I actually deployed it more than once. A taxi, a late hotel booking and a bribe. All successful escape routes on their day (s)
    I knew it! You (and quite probably KC) were famous spies back in the day :D
    Hahaha - mis-spent youth with highly undesirable sub-culture more like it! Though of course I completely agree about KC :D

Busted :D

So, all the news you never hear, because of my successful spy activities: invasions, terrorist activities, global political crises, all averted because of my Super Secret Spy Activities - yep, there's a lot I don't write about on here :D James Bond has nothing on me :cool:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    I never noticed you'd paid off French house KC - can you sell it now ore are there still complications?
  • the_cross_rabbit
    Options
    KC I'm imagining your like Helen Mirram in the film RED.
    CRx
  • edinburgher
    Options
    £1.54 paid off a CC. Have been frittering money in the last few days. Nothing crazy - some chocolate here, a £2 breakfast from Gregg'5 there - still need to behave myself!

Have decided that I CBA going to the Christmas night out for my old team, so that will save £30-40 in the near term.

Planning on taking a day or two of leave in the next couple of weeks, undecided as to whether to book family time or relaxing time :D I know the concept of wanting time for yourself is probably alien to some parents but I am human (and spend at least 3 full days a week with DD) :o
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Planning on taking a day or two of leave in the next couple of weeks, undecided as to whether to book family time or relaxing time :D I know the concept of wanting time for yourself is probably alien to some parents but I am human (and spend at least 3 full days a week with DD) :o

I'm all for 'me' time

When I had DD her nursery was 3 minutes walk from where I worked (35 miles from our house) - which meant I'd rather be at work feeling under the weather where I could do very little than having to be ill at home with a toddler. I moved her nursey to one 10 mins walk from home when I was pregnant with DS1 - and even when we were off but at home for long periods (eg: we'd often manage 10 days off at Xmas/ NY) I would send the 2 of them into nursery for a few hours if it was one of their days - my reasoning being that I'd paid for those days, it was good to keep them in some sort of routine, we could have some time as adults, not just parents. It wouldn't be for long - maybe 10.30 - 2.30, and not every day if we had plans.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I never noticed you'd paid off French house KC - can you sell it now ore are there still complications?
    I've always been *able* to sell it, but the consequences were dire early on - repaying all the VAT that purchases like these in France usually attract. The VAT is payable on a reducing percentage, and finally dwindles to nothing in about three years. Given that the blasted thing is now more or less self supporting as the mortgage has finally finished, I'm loathe to sell while any at all is still payable.
    KC I'm imagining your like Helen Mirram in the film RED. CRx
    :D I have nothing to say to that except that you're telepathic :rotfl:
    greent wrote: »
    When I had DD her nursery was 3 minutes walk from where I worked (35 miles from our house) - which meant I'd rather be at work feeling under the weather where I could do very little than having to be ill at home with a toddler. I moved her nursey to one 10 mins walk from home when I was pregnant with DS1 - and even when we were off but at home for long periods (eg: we'd often manage 10 days off at Xmas/ NY) I would send the 2 of them into nursery for a few hours if it was one of their days - my reasoning being that I'd paid for those days, it was good to keep them in some sort of routine, we could have some time as adults, not just parents. It wouldn't be for long - maybe 10.30 - 2.30, and not every day if we had plans.
    That's very sanity-inducing, greent, I like that :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Spreadsheets updated, dinner cooked, lunch made, dishes washed and FIT reading submitted. As we're in the doldrums of the year, the solar panels don't generate very much, I imagine the payment will be just under £50. Also expecting £30 cashback from my mobile phone contract next week, looking forward to some more debt busting :j
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    KC I'm imagining your like Helen Mirram in the film RED.

Karmacat wrote: »

:D I have nothing to say to that except that you're telepathic :rotfl:

Yup, I'll vouch for that :T:T:T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback