Options

Comments

• natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2018 at 5:09PM
    Options
    stvn1 wrote: »
    I've just been working out that with £3690 left and a plan to repay £200 a month that I'll be debt free in 18 months. :eek:

Now, can I make that 12 months or less?

What I have done in the past to pay things off quicker is take the monthly repayment amount and challenge myself to raise that as many times over as possible. In your case, each additional £200 is 1 month off your end date!!

good luck on bringing your DF date forward!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations! You are a lesson in perseverance. You seem to have come so far, you're tackling it head on, making huge progress and changing behaviors to keep you out of debt - the moderate expenditure on the phone is proof. Don't let it slip, it's hard work but will start to come more naturally ad you won't even need to think about being MSE anymore. Well done :)
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • stvn1
    stvn1 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    What I have done in the past to pay things off quicker is take the monthly repayment amount and challenge myself to raise that as many times over as possible. In your case, each additional £200 is 1 month of your end date!!

good luck on bringing your DF date forward!

I like this idea a lot! Thank you.
    LBM 26/10/17
    Total debt at LBM - £15421.47
    NOW DEBT FREE AS OF 30/07/19
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NelliePie wrote: »
    Congratulations! You are a lesson in perseverance. You seem to have come so far, you're tackling it head on, making huge progress and changing behaviors to keep you out of debt - the moderate expenditure on the phone is proof. Don't let it slip, it's hard work but will start to come more naturally ad you won't even need to think about being MSE anymore. Well done :)

Thank you. That means a lot. :)
    LBM 26/10/17
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Back when I first started this I contacted Cabot to negotiate a settlement, I then didn't follow up on it because I was focusing on other debts. Now that I've got rid of a few I thought I'd call Cabot to deal with this and get a plan in place.

The original debt was £1327.32 but today I agreed to 36 payments of £25.81 for a reduced settlement amount of £929.12. I made the first payment as well. So I'll just let the direct debit come out on 1st of each month while I focus on clearing smaller debts for now.
    LBM 26/10/17
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done. You're doing so well.
    I second natsplat's suggestion of raising addition £x sums equal to your regular payment. There's also a variant where you challenge yourself to raise/save percentage points of it too. It works very well as a demotivator tool - so if your regular payment is £200 then £2 is 1% so each £2 feels meaningful.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£465.00 (93%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done. You're doing so well.
    I second natsplat's suggestion of raising addition £x sums equal to your regular payment. There's also a variant where you challenge yourself to raise/save percentage points of it too. It works very well as a demotivator tool - so if your regular payment is £200 then £2 is 1% so each £2 feels meaningful.

Thanks. It's definitely something I will consider. The problem is that I'm unsure where the extra will come from. Maybe it's time for another clearout.
    LBM 26/10/17
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Following the success of my affordable lending complaint which led to the debt being written off and the records removed from my credit file (see post 125) I've now made three more similar complaints. These are for accounts that have been paid off.

To be honest I was a bit skeptical when I found out that complaints like this could be made but the proof of the pudding as they say...

If the complaints are successful I'll put any refund into existing debt, it's got to be worth a go.

I struggled a little with the morality of making complaints like this, I fully accept that I got myself into this situation, but the complaints system is there for a reason and I'm taking the success of my first complaint as a sign that the lending company should maybe have considered my circumstances a bit more and declined the loan. I'll see what happens.
    LBM 26/10/17
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,686 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fantastic news re the SLL debt being written off. Good luck with the others. As you say some may feel this is contentious but lending complaints are worth trying. Obviously they must feel in some way they should never have lent to you in the first place. Grey area but desperate people don't always think thing through and lenders take advantage of this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • stvn1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Fantastic news re the SLL debt being written off. Good luck with the others. As you say some may feel this is contentious but lending complaints are worth trying. Obviously they must feel in some way they should never have lent to you in the first place. Grey area but desperate people don't always think thing through and lenders take advantage of this.

I was unsure about whether or not to even post it here, I thought I might get flamed. I do think it's worth a try though, these businesses are very profitable and sometimes it's nice when the little guy wins.
    LBM 26/10/17
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills