Savings accounts accepting DD's

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Tried to withdraw money from the Post Office Pnline Saver and found my account had been blocked.

Phoned them.  Block lifted straight away.  But was told it was because I was only allowed to have one Instant Access Savings Account in my own name, and I had 5!
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nick_C said:
    Tried to withdraw money from the Post Office Pnline Saver and found my account had been blocked.

Phoned them.  Block lifted straight away.  But was told it was because I was only allowed to have one Instant Access Savings Account in my own name, and I had 5!
    I had no problem making a withdrawal a fortnight or so ago.  I've got 5 or six accounts.  

Last time I talked to them (they were planning to close an account as it had not had any activity for a while) they mentioned that I had more than the one account that they usually allowed but there has been no move to shut them or restrict access as far as I can tell.  I did ensure that a DD feeds £1 to each account each month to ensure some activity.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2021 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Nick_C said:

If you mean you're only unable to make any withdrawals (external or internal), i.e. it's not truly blocked as deposits are still allowed, then one of mine has been like this for over 12 months.

I just take the hit on the small amount in that account such that my other accounts are kept alive and keep my further (non P.O accounts) functioning.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Nick_C said:

If you mean you're only unable to make any withdrawals (external or internal), i.e. it's not truly blocked as deposits are still allowed, then one of mine has been like this for over 12 months.

I just take the hit on the small amount in that account such that my other accounts are kept alive and keep my further (non P.O accounts) functioning.
    Well true, I could have continued to top it up, but it had a four figure balance that I needed access to.

3 of my 5 accounts had active DDs.  Two didn't.  They should have had, but stopped working.  One failed when I used the switching service to switch from Tesco to Virgin Money.  The other failed when I tried to switch a linked account from Metro Bank to Virgin Money.  Luckily, the DDs were showing as active on the Virgin Money side, even though they were never taken, so I got my free wine.  But DDs from the PO are notoriously unreliable.  I had a further account where I kept trying to change the DD from weekly to monthly, and the change appeared to work but then reverted.

• hopperdennis
    hopperdennis Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any recommendations for an easy and cheap DD to set up to pacify a Virgin Money switch?
  • gavcooper
    gavcooper Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any recommendations for an easy and cheap DD to set up to pacify a Virgin Money switch?
    Post Office savings or Moneybox savings, both work
  • hopperdennis
    hopperdennis Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, have signed up for a Moneybox savings acc
  • hopperdennis
    Options
    Other thank linking an account to PayPal, is there anything else you need to do to ‘activate’ the DD?
  • P3
    P3 Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Moneybox saving account

Is it possible to have 2 linked current account. 

One for 45days notice, another one for  95 days notice???

• Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    P3 said:
    Moneybox saving account

Is it possible to have 2 linked current account. 

One for 45days notice, another one for  95 days notice???

I was wondering this. I can't see why you can't have two, one of each, as they are different accounts, but do they create one or two mandates and therefore count as one it two DD's?

Hopefully someone who has applied for both can answer.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure