PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Total spend of £5.45 since last post.
    OH spent £2.12. Half a pack of potatoes, bread and crumpets.
    I have spent £3.33. Half a pack of potatoes, 2kg of carrots, 500g parsnips, celery and 1.2kg of satsumas.

I have everything needed to make a shepherdless pie which will be done Saturday or Sunday. I'll be doing quinoa later to go with the ratatouille I have for today and tomorrow. I'll be making hummus later as well.
    OH is having a slow cook beef dish tonight with potatoes.

Bulk - £28.45/£30.
    OH - £24.05/£50. £25.94 left.
    Me - £18.74/£30. £11.26 left.

Total budget
    £71.25/£110.
    £38.75 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Curbing my food spending by using our entertainment pot for a take-away - I know! We had to get the card out and remind ourselves what they sell; it has been so long since we had a chinese meal and oh boy do I need it after today! Such a bad day at work! As I type, DH has phoned to tell me he has not got his wallet so we will be eating cold chinese food with a round trip of 30 miles to collect it. Tops off a really Sh** day really!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't been keeping track of my spends.... And I'm still food shopping then meal planning. When will I learn?

Home delivery shop from Mr t last week included two packs of Piri Piri chicken breasts. These are surprisingly very tasty :) anyhow I discovered when putting the shopping away that the clear cellophane covering had come away slightly from the tin foil tray so i rehomed in a freezer bag and stuck in the freezer. The chicken smelt fine. Fast forward to the next night and exactly the same with the other pack. So again rehomed in the freezer and again chicken smelt fine but I am slightly concerned... What do you think?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I needed to go to the shops for flour and fat etc to make pastry as I'd made a huge quantity of mincemeat for the freezer (too much apple in it to keep in jars and we also prefer it as it tastes very fruity). Some mincemeat is made into mince-pies and frozen uncooked and some bagged up and frozen for future use but after making Christmas cakes and puddings over the last few days I'd run out of things to make pastry. Spent 31.08p but it also included raisins, sultanas, currants, mixed peel, cherries, flaked almonds and sugar.

I need to add up my receipts for this month and update my signature before I spend too much. I'm trying to stay within budget for the month but get ahead for Christmas. It means living as much as possible out of the freezers and cupboards.

So far I've made and frozen or wrapped
    2 x Christmas cakes, no doubt DD will have one
    2 x large Christmas puddings, 3 x very small Ch puddings - ditto above
    48 sausage rolls - more to make
    36 x mince-pies - more to make (Looks like a lot but every Tuesday morning we have gathering here of between 10-16 people and I provide biscuits, cake and coffee so the mince-pies and sausage rolls will come in handy for the month of December)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Week 3 begins today for me and I've done my grocery shop for at least the majority of the week - £23.03. This leaves £9.97 for the week. Of this, £3 will be spent on dark choc almond milk if still on offer, if not £6 as it's such a good deal. The rest will be on salad/fruit/veg later in the week.
    I lost 5.5 pounds in Slimming World this week - which is 9 pounds in 3 weeks and I won slimmer of the week! Sadly the prize included a tin of tuna and a jar of honey and a sachet of something or other that isn't vegan - all of which I'll donate to someone else, and the rest is somewhat old looking oranges plus one apple (which I put in the bowl lol), so hasn't helped grocery-wise but feels bloomin' good!

Weekly Budget Guide - £165 Total - £33 per week
    Week......Total......Remaining
    Week 1.....£35.90....-£02.90
    Week 2.....£43.91....-£10.91
    Week 3.....£23.03.....£09.97
    Week 4.....£00.00.....£33.00
    Week 5.....£13.81.....£19.19 (overspend from prior weeks)

...............................£165 Budget
    Date.......Shop......Amount....Remaining
    26 Oct.....Sains.....£29.55....£135.45(WEEK 1)
    26 Oct.....A1d1......£00.65....£134.80(WEEK 1)
    27 Oct.....Tesc0.....£00.50....£134.30(WEEK 1)
    27 Oct.....Fete......£00.50....£133.80(WEEK 1)
    30 Oct.....Co-0p.....£04.70....£129.10(WEEK 1)
    02 Nov.....Tesc0.....£13.12....£115.98(WEEK 2)
    02 Nov.....M&5.......£10.21....£105.77(WEEK 2)
    02 Nov.....A1d1......£04.93....£100.84(WEEK 2)
    05 Nov.....Tesc0.....£06.59....£94.25(WEEK 2)
    05 Nov.....M&S.......£02.31....£91.94(WEEK 2)
    07 Nov.....M&S.......£04.65....£87.29(WEEK 2)
    08 Nov.....Tesc0.....£02.10....£85.19(WEEK 2)
    09 Nov.....Tesc0.....£02.75....£82.44(WEEK 3)
    09 Nov.....Ald1......£04.49....£77.95(WEEK 3)
    09 Nov.....Tesc0.....£15.79....£62.16(WEEK 3)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    2nd Aldi shop of the month, including £17 on Ales and wine came to £67.60
    More than I should have spent, but we have child free weekend so we are going to enjoy it ;)

Yippee, child-free weekend! Enjoy! :j

Small spend today, £18.94, with absolutely nothing else needed this coming week, so that will claw back last week's overspend. :):)

Words of encouragement to those who're struggling - keep going! Just imagine how much worse it could have been if you weren't on here! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 November 2017 at 8:59PM
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    I've had a look through the stocks today and written a rough meal plan for the month.

Meal plan has gone ever so slightly - but not completely - out the window.

Iceland order didn't have any bread - so I popped to coop for a loaf.

Got a MoC for butter and given the price of butter immediately turned around to buy a block.

Also had a bit of a carp week so bought a slice of cheesecake and a rack of ribs - which have been devoured for dinner tonight and were lovely.

I have two friends birthdays this month and the first was yesterday so I bought lunch.

All combined: Lunch = £23.25; Cheesecake, Ribs, Bread and butter = £9.50

Total spend so far = £114.14/£150 fud (inc pending Ocado delivery) + £23.25 social
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    Yes he has pancakes every morning. Which means I get an egg and milk into him everyday :D, we will skip over the nutella he has on them :o I don't have time to eat breakfast before I leave. His breakfast cost will come out of the main food budget.

He is a very fussy eater, waiting to be assessed for autism. I believe he has sensory processing disorder as its not just food he is fussy about its clothes/other textures as well. if its not on his 'list' he wont eat it :( trying to change that, making a meal plan he can be involved with will hopefully help.

I suspect my middle son has Sensory Processing Disorder too. Happy for you to pm me if you want to chat further, as I've found that not many people understand it!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    £6.96 at b£m
    £21.54 Ald!
    £4.79 garden centre butchers
    £0.90 tosco bread
    £1 £land

Spends this week at the shops although I'm missing the £15 ish fom yesterdays shop,without it I'm currently at £132.12/£160. Going to have to keep a close eye on anything bought this week to ensure I don't go over budget.
    Got a few pumpkins that need using so going to roast the small ones for pumpkin puree. I use the puree for cupcakes and want to try making pumpkin pie. I'll then chop the larger ones to make soup. Does anyone have any other ideas for pumpkin?
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £51 odd spent in Asda tonight, about £8 more than expected as I had DS and DH in tow :cool:

I have made a mistake when working out this months budget as I have calculated it as a 4 week month not a 5 week month. DH changed jobs last month and has a different pay date and because we had such a short paid month in October I started November on the Friday he got paid but miscalculated the number of Fridays until he was next paid.

This means I need to find another weeks grocery money, £90, and have managed to claim 2 overpayments back today which should cover it.

My target is now £450 and I am on £313.67.

DH will want more beers tomorrow and I will probably need more milk as Asda had run out :eek: but apart from that my purse is going to be firmly shut until next Friday at the earliest.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills