PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There should be no more spending for week 2 as week 3 starts on Friday and I am away until late Thursday night with work.

I, like many this month it seems, am way over where I should be at this point in the month. I have spent £250.90/£360.

Coming under budget is still doable as we have a lot of food in and I have a £25 work meal allowance to spend in Sains today that doesn't count towards my budget but will cover some fruit and basics for the next few days.

I need to ensure that when I go to the shop this weekend it is to Aldi and without DH or DS!
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • FrugalAndFabulous
    Options
    Checking in having spent 194.53/400 so far. Don't seem to have much to show for what I spent!

It's my first month doing the challenge so it's all learning I guess, won't be too hard on myself.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2nd Aldi shop of the month, including £17 on Ales and wine came to £67.60
    More than I should have spent, but we have child free weekend so we are going to enjoy it ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Another £5.07 spent yesterday on fruit and veg and half price Halloween chocolate. :-)

£33.43/£100
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear, oh dear oh dear :rotfl:

Well, that went hideously wrong. I have £4.50 to last the rest of the month. :o
    With the combination of food in Prague and in the airports, added to the online food order that arrived last Wednesday, I've pretty much broken the bank. Well, I'll see what I can do over the next few days with what I have.

I know there's plenty of curry and dahl, bread, cheese and I bought some instant porridge for work breakfasts. So I'll see what I can do with what I have.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Darn it thought I had another pack of loo roll in the cupboard but no, so nipped over to L1d! to get some (pack of 9) and couldn't resist the cauliflower and mushrooms in their weekly offers also happened to pick up a bunch of celery too :eek: so in total £4.40 spent, so I'm up to £42.52.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

I did a shop on Sunday for £16.60, and some ysing on the Friday, as a treat instead of splurging loads of money on clothes/hobbies (had had a really bad day at work, and unfortunately it's getting worse).

Anyway, I'm planning on going to McCoTes to get the reduced chickens - 1.75-1.95kg birds for £2.25.May get myself 2 of them. Hopefully another small weekly shop on Sunday again.

Have a thrifty Thursday!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Grannymolly
    Options
    Spent a couple of £ in coop
    On some very cheap reduced goodies.

£147 in total and 2 weeks to go. Most main meals planned for 5 days too.

Might just make it before we go away after all :)
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    this is going from bad to worse, i had no idea i spent so much (holding head in shame!)

6th/7th Shop: total so far: £201.08

Aldi= £15
    Lidl = £19

Total £235.08

speechless
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    donnajt wrote: »
    this is going from bad to worse, i had no idea i spent so much (holding head in shame!)

That's why joining this challenge is so good - it makes you notice how much you spend on food and find ways to start reducing it. You have to start somewhere and just being aware is the first step. When I started doing it I was often dipping into overdraft at the end of the month and I was really surprised how much of that was food-related when I stopped and paid attention. Now I'm putting money into savings each month instead. I don't always come in under budget but I'm doing so much better and using up my 'zombie apocalypse' stockpile as well.

Also there are lots of lovely people on this board to cheer you along. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure