Post Office* Online Saver account - useless

Comments

• dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 345
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BTW: Other people have asked about the Sort Code.
    I believe it is 90-78-68 for all Post Office Online Saver Accounts.
  • Hydro1
    Hydro1 Posts: 33 Forumite
    dosh37 wrote: »
    Similar problem:-

I had an existing Online Saver Iss 23 that was still only paying 1.01% interest, so I opened a new Iss 28 account paying 1.3% and transferred the balance. It was not obvious how to do this as an existing customer. The process involves being logged out of secure banking but the system seems to somehow remember out that you are an existing customer. Cookies perhaps?
    Anyhow, that part of the process seemed to work ok.

I now have the same problem of being unable to determine the new account number: The first four digits are blanked out with asterisks.

I can get the old 8-digit account number by requesting and downloading a statement, but that does not work for the new account because a statement is not yet available.

The account numbers shown against the transactions used to transfer the balance are not the same as the 8-digit account numbers that appear on the statements: They have 13-digits and do not include the last digit of the 8-digit account number.

Has anyone managed to figure out how to get your 8-digit account number?

dosh37, when looking at the 13 digit number in transactions, aren't the first 6 digits the PO's sortcode which you have just quoted. The remaining 7 digits are your account number, with the 8th digit missing as you say. That digit can be seen in account summary.
  • dosh37
    dosh37 Posts: 345
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hydro1 wrote: »
    dosh37, when looking at the 13 digit number in transactions, aren't the first 6 digits the PO's sortcode which you have just quoted. The remaining 7 digits are your account number, with the 8th digit missing as you say. That digit can be seen in account summary.

Yes - That's what I figured. I think you are right.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,312
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Same problem re above, I have had four different letters and an email about my new account - but no where does it state what the sort code and account number is. Isn't that the most obvious thing they need to tell you when opening your account?

I have online access but it blocks out the first four digits of the account number. Bizarre.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    Same problem re above, I have had four different letters and an email about my new account - but no where does it state what the sort code and account number is. Isn't that the most obvious thing they need to tell you when opening your account?

I have online access but it blocks out the first four digits of the account number. Bizarre.
    The sort code and account number were included on the letter headed "Great to have you on board".

Other letters don't have the account number. Not good if you have several accounts with them!
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,877
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 12:15AM
    Go to statements; select ac you want full ac number for from drop list; click latest statement; at the top of the page is full ac number.
    Or..
    Select 'transfer money in'; select ac; select, say, £1; next; top of the next page tells you ac number in full.
    Or
    Go to nominated account and look at the DDs set up, prob shows the full ac number. :)

Carp... ? It's their version of someone not being able to shoulder surf or unuseable info if mail gets in the wrong hands... they clearly know some of their postmen... I suspect.
  • Takes 3 days for money to get transferred into account and then ANOTHER 3 days to clear! Totally unacceptable in the days of faster payments. Have now applied for a Marcus by Goldman Sachs account and will close this useless one.
  • hgt
    hgt Posts: 328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Marcus account will transfer your money no quicker as they don't offer real-time faster payments either! In fact it's mainly only the big banks that do, most of the smaller savings providers use a third-party bank to process their payments, therefore they are slower than the almost instant faster payments you're expecting.

The only savings account with a half decent rate which offers real-time faster payments that I've found so far is Tesco's Internet saver account.

The Post office account is far from useless, I have seven of them to generate direct debits for me, so I'd be lost without it!
  • If you are not using the Post Office online saver for the direct debit requirement then you can send payments into your Post Office online saver via faster payment or standing order using the sort code and account number. This will arrive the same day unless weekend.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Forumite
    hgt wrote: »
    Marcus account will transfer your money no quicker as they don't offer real-time faster payments either! In fact it's mainly only the big banks that do, most of the smaller savings providers use a third-party bank to process their payments, therefore they are slower than the almost instant faster payments you're expecting.

The only savings account with a half decent rate which offers real-time faster payments that I've found so far is Tesco's Internet saver account.

The Post office account is far from useless, I have seven of them to generate direct debits for me, so I'd be lost without it!

All my withdrawals from Marcus have arrived within minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure