IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help. Breastfeeding parking fine

Options
Rmac84
Rmac84 Posts: 37 Forumite
edited 11 October 2017 at 9:11PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello.
I'd really appreciate some help. I parked in a Britannia car park. Not realising it was a private car park. I started to feed my crying baby of 3 months. Immediately I tried to pay for parking on my phone, but soon realised it wasn't council. I started Googling the car park to try and pay, but found their website and couldn't see how I could pay. I have since found that I could have done it but it was not clear or easy to see. Anyway as soon as i could I got a ticket. However they sent me a fine.

I first appealed to them directly and stupidly identified myself as the driver. I thought the fine was just for not buying a ticket and so I sent them proof. They rejected appeal.

I emailed them to further appeal explaining all the circumstances. I sent them screenshots of my Internet search history showing me attempting to pay. I also have screenshot of a text I sent to my mother who I was meeting stating that I was breastfeeding in the car. They have replied saying that I must pay, offered a discount, or appeal to Popla.

I feel this is highly unfair. I have read some threads regarding my rights as a breastfeeding mother under the Equality Act 2010. Also, the charge of £60, or £100 as I will miss the cut off tonight and intend to appeal to Popla.

Please can anyone advise or help with drafting my appeal to Popla. Many many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    please edit the above into paragraphs that people can read

you will receive more help that way

thank you

as for your popla appeal, you draft it , then you post the draft on here for critique by other members (that is how it works)

breastfeeding comes under the EA2010 and POPLA wont rule on that issue at all, never have
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a shame you appealed as driver, but it is not fatal.

Have a look at post 3 of the NEWBIES thread where you will find a number of template appeal points for you to modify to suit your case.

Getting pictures of the signs will help as PPCs hardly ever get them right. Use the whle of the long signage point for this.

Grace periods (note the plural) may be a factor here if you bought a ticket within the ones allowed by the BPA CoP. Even if the ticket was bought outside these, the scammers should have allowed more time for a breastfeeding mother as detailed in the EA 2010 you have already mentioned.

It would help if you could give us a time line for the alleged event.
    Arrival time, payment time, leaving time etcetera if you see what I mean.

Post your draft here before you submit it.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Paragraphs are there for a reason! :think:
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,671.53
  • Rmac84
    Options
    Thanks for your response fruitcake.

I entered at 13.04, purchased a ticket at 13.30, ticket was valid till 15.30 and I departed at 15.33.
  • Rmac84
    Options
    Any advice on where to start? I read #3, but it's saying not to bother with GPEOL as it won't win. I should focus on signage etc.

Also, should I dispute it on as many points as possible? I.e. Gpeol, signage, land owner, Equality Act 2010.

Thanks again.
  • Redx
    Options
    not gpeol , no

NO LANDOWNER CONTRACT
    POOR AND INADEQUATE SIGNAGE
    any BPA CoP failures
    not the same as BEAVIS

etc

if you add the EA2010 , its your call BUT POPLA WILL IGNORE IT
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whos car park was it?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Rmac84
    Options
    It was a Britannia Car park.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Rmac84 wrote: »

Brittania doesn't own car parks. They just run them on behalf of shops and retail parks. So what shop(s) were at this location?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Redx
    Options
    Rmac84 wrote: »

you mean

It was monitored by Britannia Car parks.

the landowner or managing agent is............................ ??

could be a retail park, supermarket , privately owned car park

to be factual, few parking companies OWN car parks and I doubt that Britannia actually own any car parks at all

if you find out the landowner details you can complain to them and ask for mercy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure