Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• posh*spice
    posh*spice Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:15AM
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    We can't go to the WTO if we don't have a government. My comments were jotted down quickly with the facts known to me. The Irish government (and the UK government and EU) will be doing detailed scenario planning. They clearly believe as a result of such scenario planning that it is worth taking the position that they are taking.

My quick "back of a fag packet" version is an attempt at teasing out why they are Taking that position. There could be other/different reasons, but they clearly think it is worthwhile or they wouldn't be doing it.

WTO is the default position, it is what happens between countries when there is no FTA. It is what happens in March 2019 if there is no FTA. That's why everything Liam Fox is doing at the WTO is more important than what Davies is doing. It doesn't make any difference if there is a government. Germany has no government- it probably won't have one until Feb.

Do you really think the DUP and the Cons will let Labour win a GE and potentially annex NI? That's not going to happen. It's not going to happen because the Tories won't let it happen- irregardless of the DUP.
    Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.
  • posh*spice
    posh*spice Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    ......As I said I don't understand the RoI position.
    Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    It's always good practice to read your linked-to articles before posting them, Rinoa.

Property bubbles are symptomatic of an overheating economy.

As the FT intimates "German Economy faces risk of overheating"
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    posh*spice wrote: »
    Also, last few polls have shown a small Tory lead, so there's no guarantee that Labour will win next election even if it were right now, particularly if The Cons change leader. Voters still don't trust Labor on the economy- rightly so imho.
    Yep perhaps Damien Green could do the job:rotfl:
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Property bubbles are symptomatic of an overheating economy.

As the FT intimates "German Economy faces risk of overheating"

The brexiteers have always been envious of the performance of the German economy. Any piece of bad news is pounced on and amplified as a sign of the collapse of the EU....meanwhile the horrors of the state of our own country and future projections get ignored....very strange.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    WTO is the default position, it is what happens between countries when there is no FTA. It is what happens in March 2019 if there is no FTA. That's why everything Liam Fox is doing at the WTO is more important than what Davies is doing. It doesn't make any difference if there is a government. Germany has no government- it probably won't have one until Feb.

Do you really think the DUP and the Cons will let Labour win a GE and potentially annex NI? That's not going to happen. It's not going to happen because the Tories won't let it happen- irregardless of the DUP.

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, the Tories really shouldn't have called the election and put themselves in such a ludicrous position. But can I see the government fall? Potentially yes. I hope it doesn't happen, but it could.

I think that when the chips are down, the DUP will choose a situation that keeps N Ireland part of the UK over anything to do with party politics. If the UK looks for a fudge involving a border in the Irish Sea, that would be like an existential crisis to the DUP, which is why I think at that point the alliance would fall. It's asking too much of them. Way above asking the Lib Dems to approve a change to tuition fees. But look what that did to them.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Rough_Justice
    Options
    Moby wrote: »
    The brexiteers have always been envious of the performance of the German economy. Any piece of bad news is pounced on and amplified as a sign of the collapse of the EU....meanwhile the horrors of the state of our own country and future projections get ignored....very strange.
    Show us where Brexiteers have been "envious of the performance of the German economy"?

Projections ignored? Hardly surprising when there are no horrors and the projections so far have proven dramatically incorrect.
    Oh, the horror of over 300,000 new jobs being created. The horror of increasing manufacturing and increasing exports. The horror of increased inward investment and continued growth.
    Yep, truly a horrible state for the UK to be in.
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ......As I said I don't understand the RoI position.

As you know they don’t have a position as an individual sovereign state, if they did they’d opt for the continuance of the common travel area and close economic links with the UK that they’ve always enjoyed.
    Dublin is expected to be a good soldier and make its own people suffer in order to protect the EU dream.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • Rough_Justice
    Options
    Regarding Northern Ireland, their TUV leader Jim Allister is saying what I have seen some suggest in these threads.
    Which is that
    If there is no deal, World Trade Organisation rules apply and under EU treaties, Mr Varadkar will have to start constructing the border he says he doesn't want.

"He will also have to police it too, because he is responsible for collecting EU tariffs on imports. So the very people ranting about no border could end up providing it. What an irony that would be."

The bit directly before that quote has been suggested here before too.
    "Mr Tusk and Mr Varadkar need to be very careful as to where they manoeuvre themselves. If they overplay their hand and there is no deal, the Republic will be the biggest loser, with the EU not far behind.

"The trade deficit of both in respect of the UK means both need a deal more than we in the UK do."
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-dublin-will-be-big-loser-if-it-overplays-hand-and-theres-no-eu-deal-tuvs-allister-36372035.html
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nobody can stop us going to WTO - it's the default position- it's what happens when there is no deal. Ditto, Nobody can make the uk create a hard border.

If there is no movement to trade talks soon the UK AND the EU MUST prepare for no deal and the EU must prepare for getting no money from the UK.

Will brexiteers be happy taking back control of their borders by leaving our biggest land border wide open? What about all those migrants that can cross?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure