Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

Options

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Losing has made you a very bitter person, so much so even I feel for you.:)

You won't wind leavers up poppet because we can see through it......;)

I've had a really productive day today as I do most days.I walked home taking in the air,listening to the birds singing and looking at the wonder that is the last days of Autumn............

Tomorrow the world will keep on turning and we will all get on with our lives and you will still be bitter.......

I had a very pleasant day. We drove over the non existent border to Germany. Had lunch in Trier (Brasserie Trier) and visited the Christmas market, very pretty and the hot wine was excellent. Then returned to Luxembourg, once again crossing the non existent border.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Rinoa wrote: »
    Citizens rights? You're just worried the EU will throw you out.

Not at all. Very worried that Britain does not care as much for its citizens as the EU does for theirs.
  • gfplux
    Options
    This is Politico.eu view of five things the ROI want to see from the British Government.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/dublins-5-brexit-demands-show-path-to-sufficient-progress/?utm_source=POLITICO.EU&utm_campaign=33e3cb1e22-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_11_30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_10959edeb5-33e3cb1e22-190026745
    The first commitment demanded by the Irish is a written assurance that there will not be regulatory divergence “in EU-related matters such as to require a hard border,” according to one EU27 diplomatic official involved in the talks.

The second — closely linked — red line for Dublin is that there is a written commitment to avoid “customs complications” and “customs divergence” between Northern Ireland and Ireland. While again stopping short of demanding Northern Ireland remains in the customs union, such a commitment would likely bind the British government into the closest possible U.K.-EU customs agreement post Brexit, potentially constraining its ability to negotiate free trade agreements with third countries.

A third commitment sought by Dublin is for the U.K. to guarantee nothing is done which might damage the Good Friday agreement. The Irish government is looking for a form of words in which London pledges to “implement, protect and sustain the principles” of the 1998 treaty, and some Irish officials say there are already worrying signs that Britain does not fully appreciate the risks Brexit poses to the peace deal.

Fourth, Dublin wants a binding commitment to maintain the common travel area between the U.K. and Ireland, which Dublin believes has already been “more or less agreed.”

The Irish government’s fifth demand is that it wants a guarantee that discussions over specific border issues will continue after phase one and not just be subsumed into the U.K.-EU talks on the future relationship.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plans for the weekend:
    We drove over the non existent border to [STRIKE]Germany[/STRIKE] Manchester. Had lunch [STRIKE]in Trier (Brasserie Trier)[/STRIKE] there in one of the many pleasant restaurants and visited the Christmas market, very pretty and the hot wine was excellent. Then returned [STRIKE] to Luxembourg[/STRIKE] home, once again crossing the non existent border.
    and a good time will be had by all.
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »

The first commitment demanded by the Irish ........

There's gratitude. I remember when Ireland was holding out the begging bowl to be bailed out of financial difficulties. We immediately helped them with a £7Bn loan.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/22/ireland-bailout-uk-lends-seven-billion

Short memories indeed.
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    Options
    Citizens rights? You're just worried the EU will throw you out.
    The EU won't throw anyone out.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't them threatening to use non-nationals as bargaining chips.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/human-rights-eu-nationals-brexit-bargaining-chips-theresa-may-a7483606.html

Neither was it them coming up with the idea of naming and shaming companies employing non-nationals.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1910114/british-businesses-could-be-named-and-shamed-into-hiring-more-uk-staff-under-radical-home-office-proposals/

And it's not them sending deportation letters (in error ;)) to legally resident non-nationals either.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/23/home-office-apologises-for-letters-threatening-to-deport-eu-nationals
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's gratitude. I remember when Ireland was holding out the begging bowl to be bailed out of financial difficulties. We immediately helped them with a £7Bn loan.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/nov/22/ireland-bailout-uk-lends-seven-billion

Short memories indeed.

So they can't complain about us shafting them because gave them money 7 years ago? How long do they need to be subservient and grateful for?
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    An illustration of how Remain could have won so easily, if they had only treated those tempted to vote Leave with some respect.

Better to sneer than to win, though, I suppose.

Remain was never going to get the bumpkin vote, but there are millions of people in towns and cities who were misled and would not vote Leave again were there another referendum tomorrow.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 30 November 2017 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Regarding Ireland, it is a difficult situation.

The country has not chosen to leave the EU and should be free to stay in.

It had cross border relationships in place with the UK prior to joining the EU. It joined the EEC the same year as the UK, so the open border issue was not an issue until now.

We have to find a solution that work for both Britain and Ireland. They should not suffer as a result of a decision not of their making. Therefore we need to find a way to make keeping the border open, work. It's not about begging bowls, or plucky little Ireland, it's about what's fair. We need to bear that in mind when we seek a resolution, but so does the EU.

If not, and we fall out of the EU as a result of not being able to make progress on this issue, that will have the worst possible impact for Ireland, if a hard border is imposed on both of our neighbouring countries. It isn't good economically, politically, socially or in terms of peace in Ireland. For that reason I can't understand why the collective thinking on this issue is not more radical, expanding the boundaries of what is possible, rather than seeing so many options as not possible.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    The EU won't throw anyone out.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't them threatening to use non-nationals as bargaining chips.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/human-rights-eu-nationals-brexit-bargaining-chips-theresa-may-a7483606.html

Neither was it them coming up with the idea of naming and shaming companies employing non-nationals.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1910114/british-businesses-could-be-named-and-shamed-into-hiring-more-uk-staff-under-radical-home-office-proposals/

And it's not them sending deportation letters (in error ;)) to legally resident non-nationals either.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/23/home-office-apologises-for-letters-threatening-to-deport-eu-nationals

The EU hasn't confirmed UK nationals can stay.

We've confirmed EU nationals can stay.
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business