TV Licensing - Do I Need to Remove Antenna Cables from room?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 November 2017 at 10:06AM
    I am not saying that everyone without a licence is not fiddling.I ve made that very clear, and its not just the BBC you can t view its all live scheduled TV broadcasts from anyone, Sky ITV Virgin etc.. You can only view any of these on an expensive internet catch-up streaming service which is more expensive than the £145 over the year.You have to wait hours for it to appear on catch up as well.
    If you already have reasonable broadband, like most of us here will, then the additional cost of viewing commercial catch-up services from ITV, C4, C5 and UKTV is £0. You can't get better value than that.

Bear in mind that this is a money saving website. If some FMs here want to save £147 per year on a TV Licence they do not need, because they are spending £0 on commercial catchup (or anything else), then that is their prerogative, and you should recognise that there is precisely nothing that you can do about it (nor should you want to).

.not convenient at all for late night viewing at 2.30 am in the morning.
    Being able to watch what you like, when you like is the very epitome of convenience. So paying less, and getting more... again very money-saving.
    ... we are all totally honest...
    You are still confused. Legally Licence-free is someone who does not need a Licence. An Evader is someone who does need a Licence, but doesn't have one. The law, the BBC, and many posters here recognise the important difference. If your experience is solely of evaders, that's fine, but please don't presume that there aren't LLF households out there (of both the TV-owning and non-TV-owning varieties) because there are.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Talk talk charge me £28 a month for their package, that is £338 a year , that includes their catch up services which I do not really need.I can tape what I want for £0 , can t beat that.
    I do not need broadband or home phone neither come to that and when Talktalk ends their corrupt super slow broadband (3.5 mbs on average for their super fast bb package ! ) that is being dumped next May also.
    I will just have an average mobile phone of around £12 a month to cover my little internet use. I am not a slave to the bloody internet ! and I certainly do not want to have anything to do with any streaming services from anyone, especially from the Americans. Everything whatever comes out of this country ends up either dishonest, such as Ebay and Amazon or they keep wringing more and more cash out of you with a new ways to broadcast like Sky have done.
    Prices are always rising faster for all these bolt ons we are seduced into buying. I dont need most of the rubbish they come up.
    eg. The americans have bought F1 and the future now for what was worth watching now will be priced out of the average persons reach with a pay to view scheme.
    Sky have wrecked golf on BBC and ITV and made it an old mans game.Its dying a death all because of the American Rupert Murdoch who seduced the R and A with gold ! They have done it with all the other sports too.
  • Cornucopia
    Talk talk charge me £28 a month for their package, that is £338 a year , that includes their catch up services which I do not really need.I can tape what I want for £0 , can t beat that.
    I do not need broadband or home phone neither come to that and when Talktalk ends their corrupt super slow broadband (3.5 mbs on average for their super fast bb package ! ) that is being dumped next May also.

You'll probably find that the speed has very little to do with Talktalk, and would be similar with all the providers (Plusnet, BT, Sky) who use wholesale services from BT Openreach.

Presumably your monthly fee is as high as it is because you have taken a "free" Youview box from them, and are paying back the cost of that. Apart from the free Sandwich I had today (thanks, Subway) very little in life is actually free. Your £0 recording facility actually costs you extra fees if you obtain the equipment from your ISP.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Well you have shown Mr House Martin, you are a strong BBC supporter - how you can support the Savile protecting corporation, I can only puzzle over - along with it's utter fear of being funded by Subscription, the BBC is a corrupt corporation in my opinion. Yes, like Cornucopia - I am LLF as well, & resent any assumption from S**m, that I might be riding on the backs of others.

You have also shown, you have a vested interest in the BBC & it's TVL continuing.
    An odd co-incidence, my online Gas & Electric bill arrived this morning...:).....& the meter had been read too. I guess with the march of the smart meters, you will have less to do in the future - Goon dept for you then?
  • HWW wrote: »
    Well you have shown Mr House Martin, you are a strong BBC supporter - how you can support the Savile protecting corporation, I can only puzzle over - along with it's utter fear of being funded by Subscription, the BBC is a corrupt corporation in my opinion. Yes, like Cornucopia - I am LLF as well, & resent any assumption from S**m, that I might be riding on the backs of others.

You have also shown, you have a vested interest in the BBC & it's TVL continuing.
    An odd co-incidence, my online Gas & Electric bill arrived this morning...:).....& the meter had been read too. I guess with the march of the smart meters, you will have less to do in the future - Goon dept for you then?

I actually pay my TV license and I'm in agreement with you.
  • Cornucopia
    As we are now seeing, a lot of British and international institutions have had past and present sexual scandals. I've not seen any evidence so far that the BBC was especially "bad" in that respect, although any one victim is one victim too many.

I do feel, and the official report tends to support the notion, that the management of the BBC could have been more proactive (just as the management of other institutions could have been) and this could have prevented later victims from becoming victims. Those managers will have to live with the guilt of that, and that (I suppose) is punishment enough.

Where the BBC's situation starts to become differentiated from other institutions is in the Newsnight shelving of the Savile story. I doubt that we will ever hear the full story of that, though earnest self-censorship seems to be the preferred story. It's simply not acceptable for a news organisation to allow its judgement to be swayed like that, and we are seeing a similar (but thankfully less serious) thing this week with the BBC News containing segments about BBC programs that are little better than commercial trailers and "advertorial".
  • Cornucopia
    I asked the Forum team to have a look at this thread (to avoid any accusations of personal interest on my part). They have now done so, and removed a number of posts.

If we could keep the discussion reasonably friendly, and certainly avoid any claims or implied claims of criminal activity by other FMs, that would be appreciated.
  • HWW wrote: »

Cornucopia is the guy to answer that about BBC subscriptions but possibly if that happened then ITV would follow suit and we would all end up paying more.
    Hopefully the BBC can find a way to trap the fiddlers without contravening their "human rights " lol, and breaching data protection.
    I love smart meters, I think they are the bees knees. If you think that the BBC is losing money through licence fiddlers its chicken feed to how much the utility industry is losing to gas and electric fiddling. And they simply pass on their losses in the form of higher energy costs.
    I marvel about how many people are dragged to a Magistrates for tv licence fiddling (14500 a year approx ) to , hopefully get a criminal record due tothe excellent hard working Capita men.They do a great job.
    In 2015 in the whole of the UK there were only 1500 prosecutions for gas/electric theft when parts of the UK ( the rougher parts ) have been getting away with free energy for years and years with virtually no comebacks and extremely little chance of either paying the money back or facing the Magistrates court. If only we could follow the BBCs lead in licence evasion maybe your gas and leccy bill would be cut by a large chunk.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 3 November 2017 at 10:45AM
    Cornucopia is the guy to answer that about BBC subscriptions but possibly if that happened then ITV would follow suit and we would all end up paying more.
    There is no evidence to support this. BBC and ITV are governed and licensed in completely different ways, and no Government in the foreseeable future is going to undermine FTA TV in this way. (Bread & Circuses).

The only reason for (me) proposing Subscription for the BBC is that it is effectively that already, except for the name and the bar on watching commercial TV broadcasts. In fact, the TV Licence was never intended to be a universal tax, and TV viewing was never intended to be a near-universal activity. That has happened relatively recently (last 15-20 years).
    Hopefully the BBC can find a way to trap the fiddlers without contravening their "human rights " lol, and breaching data protection.
    There is no "lol". If you cannot see that public authorities making fake demands for entry to people's homes without having supporting legislation is wrong, then, well... you need to think again.
    ... 14500 a year approx ...
    Very approx - it was 185,000 last year, and has been between 160,000 and 200,000 for years. It is a massive number, over 10% of magistrates court cases.

For women, it is the most "popular" offence, representing 36% of all women's offences last year. 71% of TVL defendants are women.
  • 180000 !! wow..assuming that this is only the tip of the iceberg it just shows you how many are getting away scot free. Capita will only catch a fraction, possibly those who don t visit advice websites on how to deal with TV licence enforcers.
    Funny how you highlight women being the greater number facing prosecutions.Thats good then !.Capita are doing a great job. Whats the problem with that ? They are more likely to be at home in the daytime on childcare duties.Nothing sexist or sinister in that is there
    A criminal is a criminal male or female..makes no difference to me..That same fiddling woman will most likely have a £30 a month iphone smartphone and decided to put social media tittle tattle in front of paying for the TV licence. .She obviously was watching normal scheduled TV or BBC or she would nt have been nabbed
    They do the same with their energy bills and are more likely to have expensive prepayment energy meters rather than much cheaper credit meters on fixed monthly direct debits. Some people put luxuries in front of basic bills when it comes to where their income is allocated .
    Bringing in the "sexism " card is a bit of a low blow Cornucopia, I think you should drop that line personally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure