TV Licensing - Do I Need to Remove Antenna Cables from room?

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2017 at 7:33PM
    HWW wrote: »
    Scum, is a very accurate word to describe Capita - they persist in harassing some of the poorest in society, despite being censured by Parliament on several occasions. If you are defending Capita, because you work for them (& it very much sounds that you do) - you have my sympathy.
    If I were in your shoes if that is the case, Job hunting would be a good idea.
    I would like to work for them.I would make a lot of money on bonus trapping the liars.I would get info from my meter reading colleagues and feed them extra money for putting info my way.
    I work for MDS, formerly G4S utility services who are primarily meter readers.
    We also have a contract to hand deliver TV licence reminders on behalf of Capita.
    There are so many occasions where I and my colleagues have to hand deliver a licence fee reminder AT THE SAME TIME as checking their gas or electric meters.
    New rules stop us from doing this at the same time so normally I go first to read the meters, then later return with the licence reminder.
    Most times I go into these properties the occupiers are happily gawping at either ITV or BBC current live broadcasts so straightaway I have visual evidence they are breaking the law because they unwittingly let me in thinking this is just a meter reading visit.
    Capita employees cannot get past the doorstep usually because many are so clued up on their rights they simply front it out and lie to the hard working and abused Capita employees.
    You have only got to look on Youtube to see the gloating and crowing TV licence dodgers getting away with it swearing and threatening the "goons " as you also have deemed to call them indicating you have been on these websites to collect info and terminology.
    Anyone who really does not watch any live or scheduled or BBC would simply invite the Capita people in to verify their claims and to be rid of them in the future
    I know the truth though with my unique position getting behind the lies, and I would estimate that at least 90% of people who claim NEVER to watch any BBC or live broadcasts are just straightforward liars and they get away with it because we live in "soft touch UK "
  • zanthrax
    zanthrax Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 1 November 2017 at 8:29PM
    I would like to work for them.I would make a lot of money on bonus trapping the liars.I would get info from my meter reading colleagues and feed them extra money for putting info my way.
    I work for MDS, formerly G4S utility services who are primarily meter readers.
    We also have a contract to hand deliver TV licence reminders on behalf of Capita.
    There are so many occasions where I and my colleagues have to hand deliver a licence fee reminder AT THE SAME TIME as checking their gas or electric meters.
    New rules stop us from doing this at the same time so normally I go first to read the meters, then later return with the licence reminder.
    Most times I go into these properties the occupiers are happily gawping at either ITV or BBC current live broadcasts so straightaway I have visual evidence they are breaking the law because they unwittingly let me in thinking this is just a meter reading visit.
    Capita employees cannot get past the doorstep usually because many are so clued up on their rights they simply front it out and lie to the hard working and abused Capita employees.
    You have only got to look on Youtube to see the gloating and crowing TV licence dodgers getting away with it swearing and threatening the "goons " as you also have deemed to call them indicating you have been on these websites to collect info and terminology.
    Anyone who really does not watch any live or scheduled or BBC would simply invite the Capita people in to verify their claims and to be rid of them in the future
    I know the truth though with my unique position getting behind the lies, and I would estimate that at least 90% of people who claim NEVER to watch any BBC or live broadcasts are just straightforward liars and they get away with it because we live in "soft touch UK "

Whilst I appreciate your point of view, your response has somewhat annoyed me, people have many reasons for not wanting to pay a TV Licence, my personal reason is I have no intention of paying the BBC for especially when they covered up child abuse,demonstrated foreknowledge of a terrorist act and reward their useless Director general who was sacked and still paid £450,000 pounds in license fee payers money after only 54 days of work.

furthermore they harass people pointlessly for A license fee, what happens to all the money other networks around the world pay for BBC programmes... well that goes into a private company called BBC Worldwide and the money into shareholders pockets off TV programmes paid for by the licence fee, is that fair, and what about all the other Joint ventures paid for with the License fee UKTV, BBC America well that all goes into the pockets of the shareholders too.

If the BBC is that concerned over its funding it should become a subscription service, then if you want it you can pay for it

the whole method of operation is a joke, pay a License fee, lets just see how stupid it would look if we change the company a moment

Knock Knock,
    Home Owner: Hello
    British Airways Employee: Yes Hello, from my records I can see you've never flown with us is that correct?
    HO: why yes, yes it is
    BAE: oh in that case I want £147 please
    HO: why
    BAE: because you might in future, or use our service if you haven't paid the £147
    HO: So because I haven't flown with you and have no intention of, you want £147, yeah?
    BAE: yes
    HO: Slams door

you see how ridiculous it sounds, yet this is the way the BBC operates, its ridiculous the sooner they kill the license or the BBC the better.

Referring to a point you made well simply invite them in, SERIOUSLY a random person you have never seen before coming to the door waving a card saying I want to inspect your equipment, I'm sorry but without a warrant I would be sticking that card where the sun doesn't shine, and anyone in the right frame of mind would do the same, and Whilst I cannot speak for all Licence Inspectors, the ones I have came across are Liars, conmen and bullies

Rant Over, Apologies to any BA employees I may have offended.

Whilst I appreciate the people on Youtube call them goons and shout and hurl abuse as well as gloat about not paying a license, not all license evaders are the same, I refuse to pay for a License as I see it to be morally wrong in light of the BBC/Capitas current way of operating and anyone who does currently pay a License fee, take a serious look at what your paying for.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 November 2017 at 10:56PM
    Which is likely to be a breach of the Data Protection Act, depending on your respective roles, the type of information involved and the purpose for which it was provided. The law, eh, it's almost as if it's here to protect everyone without fear or favour.
    I work for MDS, formerly G4S utility services who are primarily meter readers. We also have a contract to hand deliver TV licence reminders on behalf of Capita.
    Then stick to that, and all will be well.
    There are so many occasions where I and my colleagues have to hand deliver a licence fee reminder AT THE SAME TIME as checking their gas or electric meters. New rules stop us from doing this at the same time so normally I go first to read the meters, then later return with the licence reminder.
    This was stopped for a reason.
    A prosecution requires more than you observing Licence evasion. I'm sure that if you had unrestricted surveillance over everyone in the UK you could observe all sorts of illegality. But that's not really what's at question here - the nature of the law is that lesser offences have less sophisticated enforcement (or should have) and that is healthy for society.
    Yes... "rights" - they do what it says on the tin. Personally I do not advocate and do not support abusing the TVL field staff (unless they abuse you, which some of them do). A calm and simple: "I'm afraid it isn't convenient right now, please feel free to come back", is my preferred gambit at the moment, taking various factors into consideration.

If the BBC and Capita wish to waste public money on ineffective trips to citizens' doorsteps that have no legal weight behind them, then that's their prerogative (unless banned by the citizens concerned). However, they cannot and must not presume compliance since that would be unlawful.

More generally, I find it a little disappointing that many members of the Public, many MPs, the BBC, Capita and individual TVL field staff do not realise that seeking entry to people's homes to enforce the law is controversial, and governed by laws of its own. I can only contemplate the failures of our education system implied by this lamentable situation.
    I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of YT TVL videos are lawfully filmed by people who do not require a TV Licence. If BBC/Capita/TVL put their privacy on the line by turning up without warning on people's doorsteps, then it seems to me to be perfectly legitimate to film them if one wishes to do so - that's certainly what the law says. "Rights" again, you see?
    I can't remember whether I mentioned it in our previous discussions, but the BBC has banned TVL from visiting me, and also stopped their silly letters. This appears to be permanent and is really the only solution that I would be prepared to accept at the moment.

I am genuinely baffled as to why some people seem to believe that we should allow policing of this kind by people who simply aren't authorised to do it. Anyone interacting with TVL should ensure that they know exactly what the situation is, legally and practically speaking and then apply their rights at their sole discretion. I cannot honestly see the problem with that, and I question the motives of anyone who does.
    Well, as I've told you before, the BBC's official figures say the opposite, so I suggest you take it up with them.

The problem with all this rabid law enforcement is that the law enforcement in question and the twists that you would like to add are all arguably unlawful. Which is a strong justification for everyone to avoid interacting with it. More to the point, whilst I do not approve of Licence evasion, I do not approve of the concept of breaking the law to enforce it either. In fact, I regard that as pretty much the definition of moral bankruptcy.
  • Scum !! wow, a strong word for Captita to be described . Usually its the much milder "goons "
    .Sorry but the "scum " are people who live off the backs of the honest payers claiming not to violate the licence rules ,thereby increasing my TV licence price
    These "scum " are really stealing off me in the long run.
    I have evidence with my own eyes, due to my unique job position, to know the truth about the licence thieves.
    Let the "scum " have a quick glance at your televisual set up if want to be honest and above the law.Only the guilty IMO, will try and stop Capita from checking equipment and please don t come out with all that right to privacy excuse.
    You re a Google user and an internet user,, so the privacy get-out has long been trashed as an excuse
    Why should the BBC Fleece me for their rotten service when I do not use it. When I buy the grauniad, I do not give tuppence halfpenny for the mirror?

Why do the scum goons call when women are at home alone?

SCRAP THE REGRESSIVE TV TAX
  • Thought?

The GDP of the Maldives is £3,000,000,000

This is how much TV tax the BBC gets each year!

SCRAP THE REGRESSIVE TV TAX
  • Cornucopia
    edited 2 November 2017 at 10:09AM
    Same old Cornucopia stuff, same old script, you have been trotting out this standard website replies to me for a few times now.
    Because in all questions of fact, it is true (at least to the standard of good faith and reasonable evidence). I make no apologies for posting the truth, consistently over a period of time.
    Obviously you think I m lying when I say I have visual evidence the vast majority of licence evaders simply watch any TV channels they want.
    Not at all. That is far from being the only explanation. We simply don't know (and you don't know) what filtering has been applied to your data before you receive it. For example, it's quite likely for various reasons that G4S/MDS do not get sent addresses where TVL's "declaration" of no Licence needed has been completed. That alone will skew your data away from LLF households.

However, the fundamental issue (that you are being given information about other people's Licence status that you are being careless with) remains. It seems like it may be worthy of a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office. I will need to complain to the BBC about it first, and I will do that when I next write to them (in the next few weeks). Hopefully, the practice of outsourcing leafleting to utility service companies will cease, as I do not see that it serves any useful and legitimate purpose - and this is amply demonstrated by your posting here.
    Some may keep it down a little but when push comes to shove they will not be able to stop themselves flicking over from dreadful American crapola like Netflix or even worse Amazon prime to the quiet sanity of quality stuff from the BBC.
    There is a fair bit of BBC stuff on Netflix and on UKTV player (which you can also watch on catch-up without a TV Licence).
    How could any sane and intelligent person miss such gems as the BBC s "Blue Planet " last week
    This is not 1970. Good content now has a timelessness based on constant recirculation on air, over the Internet and in DVD form for years to come. If you can bear not to be there at the first airing date (which most mature adults are well capable of), then it will appear eventually in a form that is compatible with being legally Licence-free. (The original Blue Planet is on Netflix, for example).
    or how could any sane and intelligent person suffer endless godawful adverts every 10 minutes annoying them constantly.
    There are no adverts on Netflix or Now TV catch-up. No UK channel is permitted to show ads "every 10 minutes", either. Sadly, I see that the BBC has started to drop program plugs into its news programs - I'm very glad I don't have to suffer that indignity.
    The adverts are getting more and more Americanised dreadful rubbish
    Are they? Can't say I'd noticed.
    Life is too short for all this theft..pay the £145 for gods sake and stop the fiddling for good..its not worth the aggro..and please can people stop using Jimmy Savile or Rolf Harris or how much the DG s yearly pay is, as a way to ease their guilt at fiddling the £145.
    .Its the best value £2.78 a week in the UK
    You need (for you own sake, and for the sake of MSE) to stop conflating people who are legally Licence-free and Evaders.

People are entitled to their own reasoning behind making a lawful choice whether to have a TV Licence or not - you have no say in that reasoning or in its outcome. In fact, I like your argument, so I shall adopt it: stop complaining about LLF people - it isn't worth your time and aggro to get upset about a lawful behaviour that you cannot do anything about (well not within the bounds of what is morally and legally correct, anyway).
  • zanthrax
    zanthrax Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 2 November 2017 at 10:54AM
    Same old Cornucopia stuff, same old script, you have been trotting out this standard website replies to me for a few times now.
    I dont need you to "order " me to stick to my job.How do you know I dont "stick " to it.. The law for Data Protection Act is nt there just to aid and abet and protect criminals
    I visit the property once to read the utility meters, then again at a later period to do a completely different task. That is correct DPA in use. Just because I have a good memory and a notebook I am acting within the act.
    These TV licence advisors do not like people getting behind the fiddlers front door and seeing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    Obviously you think I m lying when I say I have visual evidence the vast majority of licence evaders simply watch any TV channels they want.
    Some may keep it down a little but when push comes to shove they will not be able to stop themselves flicking over from dreadful American crapola like Netflix or even worse Amazon prime to the quiet sanity of quality stuff from the BBC.
    How could any sane and intelligent person miss such gems as the BBC s "Blue Planet " last week or how could any sane and intelligent person suffer endless godawful adverts every 10 minutes annoying them constantly.
    The adverts are getting more and more Americanised dreadful rubbish
    Life is too short for all this theft..pay the £145 for gods sake and stop the fiddling for good..its not worth the aggro..and please can people stop using Jimmy Savile or Rolf Harris or how much the DG s yearly pay is, as a way to ease their guilt at not paying £145.
    .Its the best value £2.78 a week in the UK, about half a pint of beer in London pubs !

Housemartin, you seem to be putting the BBC on pedestal, I'm afraid the BBC that everyone knows and loved died a horrible death a long, long time ago. allow me to destroy this pedestal.

the BBC claim to be impartial
    yet they have been paid billions of pounds by the european union, how can you remain impartial and yet be paid to make the EU look more appealing?

Yes I did mention the Director General, but not so much his Salary, it was how much they paid to fire him £450,000 of licence fee payers money, that could have been put back into programming.

the BBC's Blue Planet admittedly probably a good piece of programming, I'm sure BBC worldwide will make a small fortune, re-selling the Blu-rays and DVDs that were paid for using the Licence fee

They demonstrated foreknowledge of a terrorist attack: in a news report on September 11 2001 they said WTC7 collapsed 20 minutes before it did (it was visible during the report

and how can you simply overlook the Child abuse, which they tried to cover up, they dropped a Newsnight investigation, and guess what the Director General knew nothing about it, how strange completely in charge but knew nothing about it.

the BBC have even stooped as low as rigging a children's phone in as well as a children's internet vote, which they were made to apologise for.

and the worst part of it is they get away with it time and time and time again because they are regulated by the BBC Trust (so themselves) and refuse to be 100% independently arbitrated.

but I do agree with you on one thing ads are horrible, that's why most people go make a nice cup of Tea, but BBC Worldwide like ads too look at UKTV, Gold, Dave the BBC own part of each of them they are based in the BBC building, so they make money off the license fee and ads

so do I feel guilty for not paying the £147 to the child abusing, money grabbing, vote rigging, terrorists, which have a law unto themselves, while they are being paid by the EU to make them look good I don't think so.

and I haven't even started on their TV Inspectors (sales Persons)

How are those rose tinted glasses holding up?

and yes other broadcaster have had their fair share of controversy, but they don't ask for £147 a year off me
  • Cornucopia
    I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call the BBC "terrorists".
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call the BBC "terrorists".
    Perhaps, but i'm struggling to find a more appropriate word, they did demonstrate knowledge of WTC7 collapsing before it happened, but i'm open to suggestions
  • Cornucopia
    edited 2 November 2017 at 11:39AM
    zanthrax wrote: »
    Perhaps, but i'm struggling to find a more appropriate word, they did demonstrate knowledge of WTC7 collapsing before it happened, but i'm open to suggestions

They made a mistake on an extraordinarily tragic day, with conflicting news sources giving them a huge amount of information, some of which was incorrect.

Depending on which version of the various conspiracy theories you believe, the involvement of the BBC ranges from implausible to impossible. And that's before you get into what possible value the early announcement of the destruction of a particular building is supposed to provide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure