Money for wedding gift

Options
Fireflyaway
Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
We have been invited to a wedding of friends. I've known the bride for 10 years, however these days we meet up maybe once every 4 months ( used to be every week before she met her partner etc). I've met her partner a handful of times ( by chance at public events) she seems nice but only really exchanged pleasantries. We have only purposefully gone out as a group once.
So my question is, what's a fair amount of money to gift them? I don't want to be stingy but they are not really close friends! I'm thinking £50 ish. I had originally thought £100, but if I bought a present I wouldn't spend that much.

Comments

• Brighton_belle
    Options
    Gosh, I have never spent £100 on a wedding gift for anyone - you must have loads of spare dosh to be thinking that for a friend ( and not a close one).(And no, we didn't ask for any gifts for our wedding)
    I might go to £50 for someone special in my life, like a young relative.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For a close family member £100 is a fair amount but other people no more than £50 and IMO that is pushing to the max limit.
    As you say if it was a "gift" you would not pay out that for it so why worry as it is a cash gift. Knowing the way things seem to go these days once the wedding is over if you have any contact it is likely to be just Christmas/birthdays if that.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    £50 for someone I rarely see is a bit much.

I give £50 for close family and friends.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the £50 is generous but as you used to see each other every week and can afford it then I'd go with it.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a little feeling the partner of friend might think we are being stingy. Comes across a bit needy and dramatic.... We are staying the night which costs more than £50 and I think she might think we are cheeky spending more on us than them.
    However going back to the gift thing, if it were a physical present £50 would be generous. Maybe I could get a little something for them to unwrap to.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, gift wise a small pack of tea towels {market stall} should cover and tough if it does not ;0)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I have a little feeling the partner of friend might think we are being stingy.

So? That's their problem, if anything less than £100 is stingy there are a lot of stingy people about!
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would normally give £100 if myself and partner are invited to a wedding, I tend to reckon £30ish each covers food and then some on top as 'profit'. I don't necessarily believe it should be broken down by that but it's something to work from. Plus I tend to appreciate it when friends who don't know my partner all that well invite him too, so like to cover that.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    £30 is fine. £50 is generous. £100 is too much unless a very close friend or family IMO.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • foolofbeans
    Options
    I gave £50 to a family member for their wedding recently. I suppose it depends on your circumstances but I know they hadn't gone overboard on their wedding day and £50 was a lot to us.
    As we only got a general message on a Facebook status "thanks to all the guests for the gifts and money" I regret spending that much on them.
    I think it is definitely more difficult to economise when couples do not have gifts and you have to give money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure