Money for wedding gift

Options
1235»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ahh the old "I need X amount from my guests otherwise I'm not profiting from my wedding" tale...

£50 to sibling, mum/dad etc.
    £25 to everyone else (extended family and friends)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    £50 seems pretty generous to me. You should give what you can afford and feel comfortable with. If you are worried about feeling/looking stingy (although you shouldn't, there is no right or wrong amount, if they invited you with the assumption that you would 'cover your plate' then they, not you, are the ones being rude!) then buy something small such as a bottle of wine or fancy chocolates and give that together with a cheque for £30-£25 or whatever you feel comfortable with.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Surely everyone already has at least one outfit suitable for a wedding, why do they need to buy a new one?

I don't.
    It's over 20 years since I last went to a wedding and that outfit wouldn't fit me now even if I still had it. As I haven't been to another wedding since I haven't had a cause to buy anything that would be suitable to wear for one.

On the other hand I have several outfits suitable for funerals :cool:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ahh the old "I need X amount from my guests otherwise I'm not profiting from my wedding" tale...

£50 to sibling, mum/dad etc.
    £25 to everyone else (extended family and friends)

:beer: spot on

Wedding abroad, cheaper than having it home, a celebration night once home for the £ gifts.
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    when I got married we had money but in a gift list type way. We had a honeymoon gift list and it was experiences while on honeymoon. We went to Italy and had a monetary value from anything from a chosen amount towards the hotel (so no minimum) up to a gondola ride in venice. In the thank you cards we put in a picture of us doing what they had contributed to. Similar to others we had lived together for 6 years and had no need for start up home stuff but had an amazing honeymoon
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't gave money as a gift.

Thank goodness we're not all the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income