Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Cresstay wrote: »
    I completed my ATOL Claim on Monday and have today received an email today as follows:

We can now agree a payment of £3,354.97 in full and final settlement of your claim. We have today arranged for a bank transfer to your nominated account specified within the claim form and this should take 7-14 working days to complete. This payment is in full and final settlement of your claim

We are unable to consider the payment of £80.00 for flights seats as this did not form part of the ATOL Protected booking.

We are unable to consider the payment of £66.00 for insurance as this did not form part of the ATOL Protected booking.

I paid for the pre-booked Seats via Paypal and have spoken to them today and they have raised a dispute, the Insurance i paid for Via my Debit Card - Can i claim this back?

I doubt you can claim for your holiday insurance. You've benefited from the cover you bought since the day you took it out.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Cresstay wrote: »
    I completed my ATOL Claim on Monday and have today received an email today as follows:

We can now agree a payment of £3,354.97 in full and final settlement of your claim. We have today arranged for a bank transfer to your nominated account specified within the claim form and this should take 7-14 working days to complete. This payment is in full and final settlement of your claim

We are unable to consider the payment of £80.00 for flights seats as this did not form part of the ATOL Protected booking.

We are unable to consider the payment of £66.00 for insurance as this did not form part of the ATOL Protected booking.

I paid for the pre-booked Seats via Paypal and have spoken to them today and they have raised a dispute, the Insurance i paid for Via my Debit Card - Can i claim this back?

Nice to hear that ATOL are being efficient and that also answers the question about how you claim for selected seats. So result there.

Try the insurance company first, you never know as a goodwill gesture they may do a refund, credit note against future travel or a refund less and admin fee or something. But I think when it comes to consumer rights that this is probably not covered; it may have been covered as an inconsequential loss under a Section 75 claim, but you are getting your refund through ATOL so that doesn't apply. Do let us know what they say as if it's always good to know if a company will do something for people in this situation. I think it's kind of an expect nothing, make the phone call and see what happens situation.
  • Helegav
    Options
    I booked an ATOL protected holiday with Monarch Holidays (cost breakdown of this is £2.50pp).
    However, I have just received notification from the CAA that if the ATOL protected holiday was paid for by Credit Card then I must contact my credit card company (who were not aware of this). It was worded 'However, for customers that paid Monarch Holidays Ltd directly by Credit Card the CAA are unable to authorise payment'.
    My Credit Card company (Halifax Clarity), initially said that as far as they were aware it was only flights only that were being covered on Credit Card as Holidays would be covered by ATOL. They have now raised an investigation and I hope to hear from them soon.
    No doubt I will get my money back, but why bother paying for ATOL protection if you pay by Credit Card?
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Hi, can anyone help with this one. My husband is in spain due to fly home tomorrow with Monarch. Problem is he flew out with Ryanair last week after the administration. My question is " how will they know?" he flies out to Spain on a monthly basis using different airlines each time, I know I will get the Monarch flight refunded, but its the cost of the replacement flight that bothers me. Can he just bluff it and say he flew out / drove out earlier than he did?

This from the Monarch CAA web page:

"The following advice is issued for customers who had a one way flight booked with Monarch to return to the UK, but left the UK on another airline after Monarch went into administration. If you chose to travel out from the UK after the administration was announced at 0400 on Monday 2 October, and your return flight to the UK is with Monarch, you should make alternative arrangements. If you are ATOL protected, you should speak to your travel company who will be able to offer further assistance."

They seem to have changed their stance then.

Maybe call ATOL (0300 303 2800) and politely mention that was not the case when he flew out?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Helegav wrote: »
    ...I have just received notification from the CAA that if the ATOL protected holiday was paid for by Credit Card then I must contact my credit card company ..

It seems that the CAA want to keep as much money as possible in the ATOL pot.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Helegav wrote: »
    I booked an ATOL protected holiday with Monarch Holidays (cost breakdown of this is £2.50pp).
    However, I have just received notification from the CAA that if the ATOL protected holiday was paid for by Credit Card then I must contact my credit card company (who were not aware of this). It was worded 'However, for customers that paid Monarch Holidays Ltd directly by Credit Card the CAA are unable to authorise payment'.
    My Credit Card company (Halifax Clarity), initially said that as far as they were aware it was only flights only that were being covered on Credit Card as Holidays would be covered by ATOL. They have now raised an investigation and I hope to hear from them soon.
    No doubt I will get my money back, but why bother paying for ATOL protection if you pay by Credit Card?

They will fly you home when the company goes bust when you are on holiday for the £2.50, but agree that if you pay by credit card then it would appear to be useless in this situation.

Speculation says that the repatriation and payment by other methods has used up the pot. There is a letter on the Monarch CAA web page you can send to them if that helps speed things along.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Shazlaw wrote: »
    Thanks guys, just phoned Tesco and they're refunding my points. Arrived home from Turkey at 3am this morning so have been unable to do anything until now. Happy bunny now 😄😄

Glad you got it sorted
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Davidnotmark
    Options
    anyone heard anything new from lastminute.com? Last I heard was they were trying to get refunds for people but that it may take up to 60 days...
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    anyone heard anything new from lastminute.com? Last I heard was they were trying to get refunds for people but that it may take up to 60 days...

When is your departure date? Looks like they are still dealing with those on holiday or who were about to go.
  • danielson81
    danielson81 Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2017 at 9:52AM
    Options

I was due to fly tomorrow on a flight/hotel deal with ATOL etc.

Last Friday (6th) they emailed me to say they couldn't find alternative flights etc and would refund the total cost of the holiday.

Yesterday (11th) they emailed me to say the refund had been processed and should appear soon.

Edit - Refund received today (13th)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport