And now the fuse is lit...

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having trouble with my hi-fi radio tuner. The frequency keeps wandering which does the programme no good at all.

"I know..." says I "I'll look online for a name-brand hi-fi separate radio."
    "Of course you can have one of those..." my browser says "That'll be £300."

**choke**

When did they become that expensive?!
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's got to be a thousand years since I had a hi-fi ....
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    It's got to be a thousand years since I had a hi-fi ....

This is an inherited one. My parents bought it sometime during the mid 80's. It replaced a music centre something like...

dev_1970s_musiccentre.jpg

It's probably the caps have dried out. When I can be bothered (or am bored) I'll whip the top off and list what should be replaced and get them ordered. That vintage will not be surface mount.

It'll not be £300 in parts... :eek:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    So, I spent tonight putting together the account structure for Financial Year 2018-2019. I'm sticking with this "organised" malarky longer than I thought.

I'm also evaluating a different accounting program alongside the old. Will better budget handling make up for poorer currency handling, and no android version?

Time will tell...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    time is always telling, unfortunately sometimes it tells us with a shirt sharp kick in the shins!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Karmacat
    Options
    As someone with currency handling issues ... what currency needs do you have, Z?
  • ZTD
    Options
    time is always telling, unfortunately sometimes it tells us with a shirt sharp kick in the shins!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.brainyquote.com%2Fphotos_tr%2Fen%2Fv%2Fvernonlaw%2F115255%2Fvernonlaw1.jpg&f=1

I much prefer other people learning from experience... :T
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    As someone with currency handling issues ... what currency needs do you have, Z?

Lets say you have a set of fixed value financial instruments valued in currency Y (€ or $ or whatever) which you bought in GBP. You have a quantity of (let's say) A, B, C which can't be added together, but which don't change very often.

So to value "pot" A, it's the number of them (A) multiplied by the fixed value of one instrument in currency Y, multiplied by the exchange rate for GBP.

It's easier in the program I use, to turn those instruments into their own currency, and establish a exchange rate between them and currency Y, then just adjust the exchange rate of currency Y and GBP. When that exchange rate changes, pots A, B & C all change with it.

With the new program, I'd have to go through each asset and manually calculate and re-value them in GBP instead of just changing one universally quoted value and have them all fall in line. Which is far too much hassle considering what little they're actually worth.

It may have a better way of doing it, I've only started looking.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Yikes ... so o o o .... you're currency trading? Sorry, just tell me if you don't want to be more specific than you already have been ...
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I am lost :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure