And now the fuse is lit...

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    We had several horizontal blizzards yesterday. Today we have the thaw.
    Thank goodness

No thaw here. I've just been outside, and the snow is still very powdery. It has also blown under the garage door, which is annoying. I was thinking about putting a brush under it (as in the type of draught excluder) and this has made my mind up.

I thought the garage light had broken, but no, it's just an energy saver bulb which will warm up sometime after the olympics...

I don't know what temperature it is outside here, but fingers went from normal to frozen and numb in about 4 minutes which is quite impressive, as normally I'm quite tolerant of cold.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Truly fed up of this snow now! We fail miserably as a country at it, but both OH and I have 24/7 jobs that we can't work from home for. I do go out with supplies and in hiking boots in case the trains stop miles from home (which they did for BftE mark 1).

I have friends in other places who mock us mercilessly for it. :snow_laug
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    It does seem that a little bit of snow causes issues, as does too much wind/sun /rain. But I guess that's the price we pay for a temperate climate. Because we can occasionally have every type of weather it's not economically viable
    To be super Prepared for them all, whereas if you always have silly amounts of snow, it's financially sensible to invest.

Ho Hum. A wet spring is just around the corner right?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • ZTD
    Options
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Truly fed up of this snow now! We fail miserably as a country at it,

I think that's starting to become a self-perpetuating excuse. As a country, we have a range of skills, everything from this display of skill to this display of "skill"...

We certainly should not be giving a free pass to ineptitude, or allowing the attitude of "It's snow, so I'm allowed to be pathetic." especially when councils (for example) blame the fact they haven't gritted the roads on the snow...

Sleeping overnight (and freezing your rear end off) on a Scottish motorway is starting to happen more frequently than the Commonwealth Games.
    but both OH and I have 24/7 jobs that we can't work from home for. I do go out with supplies and in hiking boots in case the trains stop miles from home (which they did for BftE mark 1).

Absolutely! In the news last night which caused me to go :doh: a number of times, a couple were travelling from York to Penrith over a notoriously bad road with what would seem to be no supplies at all. Not even things like chocolate which is not an amazing stretch of the imagination.

Some things to keep you dry, warm and hydrated are key. Chocolate is good a pick-me-up, but it's not vital.
    I have friends in other places who mock us mercilessly for it. :snow_laug

By other places do you mean "abroad"?

You may find this a laugh then. You may recognise the copious excuses in a different setting (yes, it's the US using Fahrenheit)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk_xK9AZ_Z4
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    It does seem that a little bit of snow causes issues, as does too much wind/sun /rain. But I guess that's the price we pay for a temperate climate. Because we can occasionally have every type of weather it's not economically viable
    To be super Prepared for them all, whereas if you always have silly amounts of snow, it's financially sensible to invest.

Unfortunately, we're not super-prepared for any of them. I mean how often does it flood when it rains? You'd think we'd be prepared for rain in the UK...

However, it does seem to be that no matter the weather, and no matter the agency commissioned with mitigating its consequences, they always manage to raise a fine and bountiful harvest of excuses during that time.
    Ho Hum. A wet spring is just around the corner right?

The "long range forecast" I heard (done with the finest of magic rocks and fresh chicken gizzards) was that the first half of the spring was going to be cold, and the second half wet.

I'm thinking we're not past half-way yet.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Just out of the bath and my hands are definitely feeling different temperatures to the rest of my body.

I think I may have damaged them from earlier.

Don't let your fingers freeze kids - it's not good for them...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have the fingers recovered?

I agree that national reserves of stiff upper lip would seem to be at an all time low. When I was digging out our driveway/paths/street around the house, there was maybe one other person on either of the streets that we border doing the same. Normally I'd make excuses for them, but as roads were all blocked and there was no public transport, what the hell was everyone doing? How hard is it to get the shovel out?

For reference, we're in a suburb, not somewhere you'd need a tractor to dig yourself out...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have the fingers recovered?
    I want to know that too, that sounds a bit bad, Z :(
    I agree that national reserves of stiff upper lip would seem to be at an all time low.
    Except for older teenagers off out to nightclubs, the girls all wear minis with spaghetti string tops, and the boys wear short sleeved t shirts :):):)
    When I was digging out our driveway/paths/street around the house, there was maybe one other person on either of the streets that we border doing the same. Normally I'd make excuses for them, but as roads were all blocked and there was no public transport, what the hell was everyone doing? How hard is it to get the shovel out?

For reference, we're in a suburb, not somewhere you'd need a tractor to dig yourself out...
    Even I found it easy enough to dig a path between my front door and the pavement, the first day it fell (haven't needed it since, that was the day my brother arrived with a van full of stuff for me). Makes me think, Ed - are you in a little area that's by chance full of really elderly pensioners? Still trying to find excuses :o as you say.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd say 50/50 split pensioners and young families. Young active pensioners tho, not the 80 year old housebound variety :D
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,338 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Must admit I am nae good at the snow clearing:o:o

Hope your fingers are ok Mr Z.
    Let us know.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure