Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Great news on DS3 coming home :j
    Hope DS1's ESA's assessment went well.
    Hope DS's appointment went well, and I hope you feel better soon.

Also hope the payments come in so you can sort Xmas

x

Thanks both of you :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    DS3 is home :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T :j :T
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I didn't recognise him when he got off the coach because all his clothes are new! Jeans, hoody, jacket, trainers and even rucksack, all new!

He's been buying clothes on Oxford Street and looks more fashionable than when he left :). To be fair he had hardly any clothes compared to most people of his age, so I'm pleased he can afford to look well dressed :).

He's still got money left over though, so he bought his own beer on the way home :rotfl:. It's really nice to have him home and he was pleased with his clean and tidy room :D.

He's getting on well with his course and has friends, and two girls have asked him to share a privately rented house with them next year in his second year :).
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Pleased for you having DS3 home. You sound so happy. It's been such a rollercoaster week for you!
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,310 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You are so pleased to have your DS home :D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Pleased for you having DS3 home. You sound so happy. It's been such a rollercoaster week for you!
    beanielou wrote: »
    You are so pleased to have your DS home :D

Thanks I am happy to see him :).

My whole life is an emotional roller coaster at the moment, often on the same day :o.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    I didn't recognise him when he got off the coach because all his clothes are new! Jeans, hoody, jacket, trainers and even rucksack, all new!

He's been buying clothes on Oxford Street and looks more fashionable than when he left :). To be fair he had hardly any clothes compared to most people of his age, so I'm pleased he can afford to look well dressed :).

He's still got money left over though, so he bought his own beer on the way home :rotfl:. It's really nice to have him home and he was pleased with his clean and tidy room :D.

He's getting on well with his course and has friends, and two girls have asked him to share a privately rented house with them next year in his second year :).

Lovely news! I'm especially glad to hear he appreciated his room, not a given, but very gratifying after all your work.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Lovely news! I'm especially glad to hear he appreciated his room, not a given, but very gratifying after all your work.

Thanks Elizabeth :). I wasn't sure he would remember how bad it was before he left, but he was definitely pleased when I said I'd cleaned it thoroughly :).

I'm pleased he's got money left too as that shows he's been reasonably frugal, plus if he wants luxuries I don't normally buy he can get them for himself.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Great to hear you have a place for an NVQ, and that your DS is back home!

This is bound to be a difficult year for you but I hope having him around helps keep the low mood at bay.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Yay for him being back home. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing