Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I thought I would sleep well last night as I was so tired, but I slept really badly. The friend I met last night used to be a nurse and I was telling her how my mum died. She confirmed what I knew but had been hiding from, that my mum was misdiagnosed and errors were made. So I couldn't sleep for thinking about it all :(. So I feel shattered this morning.

I met my two nieces for coffee in town this morning. It was lovely to see them and catch up. I was worried about spending yet more money, but I spent £2.20 on the bus and only £1.50 on a cup of tea, so that could have been a lot worse. I've realised that in this particular cafe a latte is £2.75 but a cup of tea is only £1.50! I still think I'll take my travel cup though when I go alone as every penny counts at the moment.

Now I'm home I need to find DS1's building society book which is lost, as DH is stressed about it. I also want to look for DH's debit card. His current one is out of date and he thinks they haven't sent him a new one, but I want to check in case DH has just lost the new one.

I also need to wash DH's shirts as he doesn't have any clean ones for meetings.

The trouble is I'm so tired all I feel like doing is lying down and going to sleep :(.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh hun, sending you big hugs xx

Hope that DS's building society book turns up and DH's debit card too.

Hope you get some sleep and try not to do too much xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry to hear what your friend confirmed about your Mum. Just makes an awful event even more stressful for you. Do you have any grounds to sue the hospital or GP? Might be worth seeking advice.

No wonder you feel tired, you're always running round making sure everyone else's problems are sorted out:A and you leave no time to take care of yourself. Try to listen to what your body is telling you and if you feel tired then try to take a short rest from it all without feeling guilty for doing so. Easier said than done I know when so many people depend on you for so much.

Sending hugs and all the positivity I can muster:kisses3:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We had this trouble with our BT broadband and phone. We were paying £60 a month and they wanted to raise it to £90 a month because we were using more. When I asked them what exactly we were using more of they couldn't tell me. So we switched to another supplier for £47 a month. Then when we we got our final bill from BT we were in credit :mad:. So why were they trying to raise it to £90 then? :mad:

I know where you're coming from in your anger at BT. Snap:(. We were with them for about 40 years, all the time we've lived here, first for phone and then internet and finally broadband. They messed us about a lot, there were so many problems with the line and the broadband connection kept 'dropping out' for hours at a time:mad:. The speed was appalling, nowhere near what they said we should get. I know we live a long way from the exchange and it's still slow even now I've switched suppliers but it's a lot better. I moved to PlusNet who have brilliant customer service and they really go the extra mile to sort things out. A lot cheaper too:j. Funnily, they are part of the BT 'family' so how one branch of it can be so good whilst BT is so poor beats me:eek:.

I never regretted switching for an instant except I had to lose my old email address which I'd had since 1998:(
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Hope you find what is missing, including a good night's sleep tonight.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Sorry you slept badly and BT are being pants. I hope you sleep well tonight. Everything feels worse without proper sleep.
    Glad you saw your nieces :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sorry to hear what your friend confirmed about your Mum. Just makes an awful event even more stressful for you. Do you have any grounds to sue the hospital or GP? Might be worth seeking advice.

No wonder you feel tired, you're always running round making sure everyone else's problems are sorted out:A and you leave no time to take care of yourself. Try to listen to what your body is telling you and if you feel tired then try to take a short rest from it all without feeling guilty for doing so. Easier said than done I know when so many people depend on you for so much.

Sending hugs and all the positivity I can muster:kisses3:

Thanks Carboot. I wouldn't want to sue the NHS as I think lots of little mistakes were made by lots of different people, but no one deliberately neglected my mum.

But she should have had a scan. Instead because my mum had fallen over they gave her an xray and said nothing serious was wrong. If they had scanned her they would have picked up her underlying condition and maybe could have treated it. But they focused only on the fall and didn't pick up on her other symptoms.

I just want them to do better next time so it doesn't happen to someone else's mother. It doesn't help that she saw four different doctors in 36 hours and everyone is too busy to be proactive.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Oh hun, sending you big hugs xx

Hope that DS's building society book turns up and DH's debit card too.

Hope you get some sleep and try not to do too much xxx
    Hope you find what is missing, including a good night's sleep tonight.
    Sorry you slept badly and BT are being pants. I hope you sleep well tonight. Everything feels worse without proper sleep.
    Glad you saw your nieces :)

Thanks. I've done nothing all afternoon as I went to sleep :o. I feel a bit groggy now I've woken up, but I don't think I could have got through the rest of the day without a nap.

I'll do everything tomorrow that I didn't do today.

I did enjoy seeing my nieces as they are lovely girls :).
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Thanks Carboot. I wouldn't want to sue the NHS as I think lots of little mistakes were made by lots of different people, but no one deliberately neglected my mum.

But she should have had a scan. Instead because my mum had fallen over they gave her an xray and said nothing serious was wrong. If they had scanned her they would have picked up her underlying condition and maybe could have treated it. But they focused only on the fall and didn't pick up on her other symptoms.

I just want them to do better next time so it doesn't happen to someone else's mother. It doesn't help that she saw four different doctors in 36 hours and everyone is too busy to be proactive.

i'm so sorry that this happened. It must be awful to try and focus on whilst at the same time come to terms with her death. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    i'm so sorry that this happened. It must be awful to try and focus on whilst at the same time come to terms with her death. x

It is difficult and speaking to my friend last night makes me realise that perhaps I do need counselling to help me come to terms with the hospital stuff. So I think I'll ring the doctor tomorrow and make an appointment to ask for some.

It's hard to get your finances sorted with all this going on, as much of my spending is emotional :o. But my finances being a mess is stressful so I must try and spend less money and get on top of things.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure