Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2018 at 3:40PM
    Options
    I had a £10 PA payment in P@ypal and went to transfer it into my bank account this morning to put towards the food shop. I got a message about unusual activity on my P@ypal account so had to go through a security check and change my password :mad:. It's because DS3 has been using my account to do his flipping laundry :mad: Then when I finally got logged in there was only £2 there :eek:. DS3 has done some more laundry :mad:. Unbelievable. All because he's too lazy to sort out his own Paypal account.

Anyway my stepdad is giving DS3 £100 a month, so he said he'd give him less and give me the money instead for the two lots of laundry and posting the poker set. That will be £26 and I could really do with it at the moment.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a £10 PA payment in P@ypal and went to transfer it into my bank account this morning to put towards the food shop. I got a message about unusual activity on my P@ypal account so had to go through a security check and change my password :mad:. It's because DS3 has been using my account to do his flipping laundry :mad: Then when I finally got logged in there was only £2 there :eek:. DS3 has done some more laundry :mad:. Unbelievable. All because he's too lazy to sort out his own Paypal account.

Anyway my stepdad is giving DS3 £100 a month, so he said he'd give him less and give me the money instead for the two lots of laundry and posting the poker set. That will be £26 and I could really do with it at the moment.

Ah the joys of children :o

I didn't know you could do laundry with Paypal?
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Ah the joys of children :o

I didn't know you could do laundry with Paypal?

DS3's uni has a laundry facility for students, but you have to pay through an app via P@ypal and DS3 has lost/forgotten his log in details :mad:. You couldn't make it up!

The amount he pays for his accommodation, you'd think laundry would be included :mad:.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DS3's uni has a laundry facility for students, but you have to pay through an app via P@ypal and DS3 has lost/forgotten his log in details :mad:. You couldn't make it up!

The amount he pays for his accommodation, you'd think laundry would be included :mad:.

At least he is doing his laundry though:rotfl:. Thank goodness for small mercies, even if they've been expensive ones for you so far;). What a lovely Step Granddad to give him such a generous allowance and for reimbursing your part of the earlier debacle too.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    At least he is doing his laundry though:rotfl:. Thank goodness for small mercies, even if they've been expensive ones for you so far;). What a lovely Step Granddad to give him such a generous allowance and for reimbursing your part of the earlier debacle too.

DS3 is obsessed with his daily hour long showers and his clothes being clean!

Yes it is very kind of my stepdad to give him money every month.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I have a suede jacket that DH persuaded me to buy years ago but isn't me and I've only worn it once. I must put it on FB Marketplace or Fleabay to sell. That may bring in a bit of much needed cash. Has anyone got idea on what would be a reasonable price to charge? It's smart and is a pale sand colour.

My only gold jewellery has great sentimental value to me so I can't sell that.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How about telling ALL the family that you're buying token gifts only for Christmas this year? It seems stupid to be so worried about money and still buying gifts for people (which is really NOT what Christmas should be about) The people who matter won't mind and the people who mind don't matter. XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    That's very kind of your stepdad. Glad he is giving you some of it though to make up for what you had got.

I've never heard of laundry via PayPal, but i was at university many many moons ago!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • BalanceBy50
    BalanceBy50 Posts: 467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 October 2018 at 7:02PM
    Options

I could do without all this extra stress. We need to pay the car tax by the end of October or we'll have to take the car off the road, so that will empty our pockets again as it's £170 nearly :(. We don't have much coming in again at the moment.

HH I know you pay slightly more but could you do the monthly DD for your car tax? We have to do this with DH's car as I never have enough in my car fund to pay it in full when its due. Thankfully mine is only £20 a year and I do pay that in one go :)

Also do you have a smart meter? These are really handy for showing when you are using a lot of electricity. I do feel your pain my provider has just put ours up by £29 a month so I have just switched.

Take Care and enjoy meeting your old friend tonight xx
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sick of my bills forever going up, I don't know where they think people get the money from.

Re the jacket could you compare with a similar jacket on sale to get a rough idea?
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure