Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    I think the Pilates is money well spent if you enjoy it and it gets you out :)
    I also think the occasional coffee is too. It's not just the drink and sometimes it's good to be surrounded by people and bustle. Especially important for you at the moment, HH, rather than sitting on your own on a bench somewhere.
    I agree with Sun Addict. Maybe take a flask next time but keep the class up if you can :)

I will definitely keep going to Pilates as I enjoy it so much and go with a friend.

Although it is nicer to have coffee in a cafe and you're right Carboot that being with people does help me at the moment, I can't afford to keep spending money like this :(. So a travel cup coffee on a bench will have to do for now as money is so tight. I'll make sure I have a nice view from my bench :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I do like curry and quite often make a root veg one,unfortunately I don't like lentils or chickpeas so that's why I end up eating the Quorn stuff,I've just got lazy with my cooking,I need to plan a bit more and get cooking again,I did buy some satsumas today though:A

I'm looking forward to checking out Mr M when I get paid

Shame you don't like lentils and chick peas. I try and stock up on Quorn when it's half price and the hide the extra so I don't use it more quickly. Frozen veg is an easy and cheap way to pad out meals. Well done for buying satsumas :).

I know it's hard to cook and meal plan when you're tired and working.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 22 October 2018 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Shame you don't like lentils and chick peas. I try and stock up on Quorn when it's half price and the hide the extra so I don't use it more quickly. Frozen veg is an easy and cheap way to pad out meals. Well done for buying satsumas :).

I know it's hard to cook and meal plan when you're tired and working.

I buy Quorn mince when it's on offer but otherwise I find it very expensive. Some of the supermarkets do their own version but I've never tried any. I don't use chickpeas much either although I do use lentils quite a lot. I always add them to anything with meat mince in it to make it go further and because it's healthier. OH has never noticed, they're undetectable that way;).

Have you always been vegetarian, HH? Did you start on that way of eating for ethical reasons? Sorry if they're intrusive questions:o

I'm not vegetarian myself and know I'd be ashamed and disappointed with myself if I committed to becoming one because I know I might backslide. OH is a keen meat eater so I would have to cook something meat-based for him most days. I know I'd be tasting and nibbling as I cooked so I wouldn't be a true vegetarian giving up meat altogether. I'm a bit obsessive:o and when I commit to something have to go for it 100%. I let myself down frequently.

I love vegetarian food though and if I'm just cooking for myself for any reason I always leave out the meat. I also love pasta but OH can just about tolerate it once in a blue moon:(. As far as he's concerned no meal is complete without potatoes in one form or another. Having said that, my real comfort food is mashed potato with grated cheese stirred into it:j.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,456 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I also love mashed potato with cheese stirred in :love:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Have you always been vegetarian, HH? Did you start on that way of eating for ethical reasons? Sorry if they're intrusive questions:o

I'm not vegetarian myself and know I'd be ashamed and disappointed with myself if I committed to becoming one because I know I might backslide. OH is a keen meat eater so I would have to cook something meat-based for him most days. I know I'd be tasting and nibbling as I cooked so it wouldn't be a true vegetarian giving up meat altogether. I'm a bit obsessive:o and when I commit to something have to go for it 100%. I let myself down frequently:o

I love vegetarian food though and if I'm just cooking for myself for any reason I always leave out the meat. I also love pasta but OH can just about tolerate it once in a blue moon:(. As far as he's concerned no meal is complete without potatoes in one form or another. Having said that, my real comfort food is mashed potato with grated cheese stirred into it:j.

I've been vegetarian for 27 years now. I only ate chicken and fish anyway as I've never liked red meat. I didn't like the idea of animals being killed and eating their dead flesh. It just seems wrong as they are living creatures. I also didn't like the gristle, tendons, etc and found it repulsive. I haven't missed meat at all since I stopped eating it.

I'm the only one in the house who is vegetarian. I'll put a chicken pie in the oven for DH or the DC, but won't touch raw meat, yuk!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

I'm hungry now just thinking about it:rotfl:. I'd make myself some even at this hour but there's no cheese in the house:mad:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »

It is very yummy but roast potatoes are my favourite :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,456 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It is very yummy but roast potatoes are my favourite :)

I like them too but I never make them for myself.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 27 years now. I only ate chicken and fish anyway as I've never liked red meat. I didn't like the idea of animals being killed and eating their dead flesh. It just seems wrong as they are living creatures. I also didn't like the gristle, tendons, etc and found it repulsive. I haven't missed meat at all since I stopped eating it.

I'm the only one in the house who is vegetarian. I'll put a chicken pie in the oven for DH or the DC, but won't touch raw meat, yuk!

Thank you:T

You're lucky that your DH is a good cook. He's a real treasure:beer:. If OH was responsible for cooking in this house we'd both starve:eek:. Just making toast for himself he ends up with the kitchen full of smoke and all the windows open. Goodness knows what would happen if he was having to cope with a full meal:rotfl:

I like cooking so it works out OK and OH looks after my car seeing as apart from driving it and knowing how to put petrol in I haven't a clue about anything else that needs doing to it:o. I wouldn't have a clue how to change a wheel, that's why I'm in the AA. OH checks the tyre pressures, screenwash bottles etc for me every week. He sometimes washes the car for me although not all that often:(
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thank you:T

You're lucky that your DH is a good cook. He's a real treasure:beer:. If OH was responsible for cooking in this house we'd both starve:eek:. Just making toast for himself he ends up with the kitchen full of smoke and all the windows open. Goodness knows what would happen if he was having to cope with a full meal:rotfl:

I like cooking so it works out OK and OH looks after my car seeing as apart from driving it and knowing how to put petrol in I haven't a clue about anything else that needs doing to it:o. I wouldn't have a clue how to change a wheel, that's why I'm in the AA. OH checks the tyre pressures, screenwash bottles etc for me every week. He sometimes washes the car for me although not all that often:(

DH only cooks on a Saturday night. I hate cooking, but I've always said if you don't like my cooking then feel free to take over :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure