Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh to be young and carefree again. A great opportunity for DS2 .
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,406 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Fab oppertunity for DS 2 :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    My twins have both spent time in Spain. My son spent a couple of months at a language school in Barcelona a few years ago. He lives with a Spanish girl and was hoping to move to Spain to live. However the only work he could get was bar work which was lower paid and longer hours than in London. His manager said he needed someone who could flirt with the customers which did not please his girlfriend. Spain has a big problem with youth unemployment. He is now teaching and last year was able to deputise for a missing Spanish teacher so it was not entirely wasted.

My daughter spent three months this spring teaching English at a bilingual school in Seville with the Erasmus project teacher exchange. Every time she phoned me it seemed to be raining but that was the winter. They both came back in one piece. At the moment she is in Prague being introduced to a job teaching English there next year.

I find it makes me wish I had done more. I got married young and spent years changing nappies.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Oh to be young and carefree again. A great opportunity for DS2 .
    beanielou wrote: »
    Fab oppertunity for DS 2 :)

I know I'm quite jealous of him! Maybe when I retire I can do a bit of travelling :o.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    My twins have both spent time in Spain. My son spent a couple of months at a language school in Barcelona a few years ago. He lives with a Spanish girl and was hoping to move to Spain to live. However the only work he could get was bar work which was lower paid and longer hours than in London. His manager said he needed someone who could flirt with the customers which did not please his girlfriend. Spain has a big problem with youth unemployment. He is now teaching and last year was able to deputise for a missing Spanish teacher so it was not entirely wasted.

My daughter spent three months this spring teaching English at a bilingual school in Seville with the Erasmus project teacher exchange. Every time she phoned me it seemed to be raining but that was the winter. They both came back in one piece. At the moment she is in Prague being introduced to a job teaching English there next year.

I find it makes me wish I had done more. I got married young and spent years changing nappies.

I wish I'd done more travelling when I was younger too :o. Still it's not too late, I'm determined to do some travelling one day.

Luckily DH won't need to work in Spain as he has enough money to fund his trip. He could run his business from any location as it's an online one.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    Options
    I know I'm quite jealous of him! Maybe when I retire I can do a bit of travelling :o.

I hope you can :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I hope you can :)

Me too :).
  • beanielou
    Options
    I wish I had travelled more when I was younger & more able :(

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I wish I had travelled more when I was younger & more able :(

If only we'd known then what we know now :o.

I loved having my children and given a choice between travel and children I'd pick children. But I could've done more travelling BEFORE I had the DC and I don't know why I didn't. Just procrastination and not having a travel budget I think. Drifting through life :o.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I too had children very young missing out on travel. Now that we have managed some bucket list trips, I've realised that I'm a home bird by choice!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback