🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bah to the weight!:mad: but you sound like your back on track now.

What book did you buy today?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    It was "Squire Throwleigh's Heir" by Michael Jecks. I don't know whether you've heard of him? Mediaeval murder mysteries set in Devon. Very exciting and well written :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It was "Squire Throwleigh's Heir" by Michael Jecks. I don't know whether you've heard of him? Mediaeval murder mysteries set in Devon. Very exciting and well written :).

No I haven't (says she intrigued). Must investigate - love to hear of new mystery/crime writers!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    They've got the later ones in the series in Waterstones, but I don't see them that often in charity shops so I'm always pleased when I pick one up :). I think they're quite sought after.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you found an Aldi to try yet? Ours has value grapes at £1.25, and sometime has 50% off stickers in the morning. Your Saturday £10 would go a lot further on F&V if there was one you could try instead of MrT.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    We do have an Aldi Redo but it's in a different location, so I'd have to walk there or pop in if DH and I were passing in the car. We should definitely check it out more often though because that is a good price. I keep forgetting it's there because it's newish. I want to check out their bedding plants too.

Sometimes I think Mr T is taking the mickey with their f&v prices. I'm also going to keep an eye on that fruit and veg stall in town, we ate the grapes I bought there yesterday and they were lovely :).

Today is beautiful sunshine so perfect gardening weather. I can't wait to get all my bedding plants into pots :). We also have a plant in the front garden which hasn't grown in a year because all new growth gets eaten by slugs and snails. So I'm going to dig it up and replace it with a pink hydrangea I have in a pot in the back garden. It will grow better in the ground, will get plenty of sunshine in the front and the flowers will look lovely in the summer. If I have time (energy) after that I'll do some weeding/pruning.

Have a good Sunday all :).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,777 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Sunday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 8 April 2018 at 12:08PM
    Options
    We do have an Aldi Redo but it's in a different location, so I'd have to walk there or pop in if DH and I were passing in the car. We should definitely check it out more often though because that is a good price. I keep forgetting it's there because it's newish. I want to check out their bedding plants too.

Sometimes I think Mr T is taking the mickey with their f&v prices. I'm also going to keep an eye on that fruit and veg stall in town, we ate the grapes I bought there yesterday and they were lovely
    Have a good Sunday all :).

You were lucky with your grapes. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed them:T. I'm not too sure about market stalls for fruit and veg. I often find the quality is better at Morrisons. Morrisons often have very good f&v offers on and their produce seems fresher and lasts longer too. They are currently very 'big' on selling Wonky Veg which is very cheap and which I always buy. Tastes just the same as the more photogenic produce. Whenever I buy from a stall in the market, unless I select every item myself, there's always something poor quality/past it in the bags:(. Market stall holders usually sell at different markets each week and I suspect what they haven't sold gets transported to and fro in their van for days. They often sell things off when they are packing up but it's usually a bit tired-looking and I bet is isn't its first day on sale. OH brought some pears and grapes home from the market yesterday and they definitely need eating by tomorrow:eek:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Beanie :).

I've come indoors to rest my back and neck muscles. I've put the pink hydrangea in the front garden where I hope it will grow. It's boiling hot out the front! I had to work in a short sleeves and sun glasses!

As I carried the hydrangea out the pot fell apart, it must have been all the snow and frost we've had recently. I've had that pot for fifteen years! It makes me wonder how many of our other pots are frost proof. The slug loving plant is now in a pot in the back and I must think of ways to deter slugs (copper wire, egg shells, slug pellets etc).

Once I've recovered I'm going to put Violas, Narcissi, Heather, Grape Hyacinths and Petunias in pots.it's going to make a lovely display when I'm done.

It's a relatively cheap way to improve our surroundings and I think having some lovely flowers to look at cheers me up and has a real feel good factor :).

I need to fit in some laundry too today. It's perfect drying weather but I'm too busy gardening at the moment. Hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow too.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You were lucky with your grapes. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed them:T. I'm not too sure about market stalls for fruit and veg. I often find the quality is better at Morrisons. Morrisons often have very good f&v offers on and their produce seems fresher and lasts longer too. They are currently very 'big' on selling Wonky Veg which is very cheap and which I always buy. Tastes just the same as the more photogenic produce. Whenever I buy from a stall in the market, unless I select every item myself, there's always something poor quality/past it in the bags:(. Market stall holders usually sell at different markets each week and I suspect what they haven't sold gets transported to and fro in their van for days. They often sell things off when they are packing up but it's usually a bit tired-looking and I bet is isn't its first day on sale. OH brought some pears and grapes home from the market yesterday and they definitely need eating by tomorrow:eek:

The grapes were in plastic punnets on the market stall which you could select yourself and I did give them a crafty prod to check for freshness :rotfl:. I know what you mean Carboot and I think generally I would eat market fruit and veg same day or next day.

Mind you, I've had some dodgy grapes from Mr T in the past, if you eat them within two days of the use by date then half of them are rotten :mad:.

How much is a punnet of grapes in Mr M? It's £2 in Mr T which is very expensive :eek:.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport