This Duo's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you enthusiastic. Fingers crossed I can now stick to this budget!
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Money arrived today, have now officially cleared my most expensive debt! £2050 gone, never to be seen again! Brings my debt down to around £5300. Now to truly test myself, my budgets are set and they are realistic so I need to live within these. I tend to rebel against budgets so I know this will be the hardest part for me. I still have a good chunk of money left from Christmas/my birthday so if I feel the need to splurge a little on myself then I can use this money. I can do this.

:j:j:j:T:T Fantastic news, you must feel great :T:T:j:j:j
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    So I think I have decided to use the money I have from Christmas to treat DS and I to a short break, it will give us both something to look forward to and will give us some lovely quality time together.

Rough cost of holiday
    £140 (caravan site so entertainment included)
    £70 for fuel to get there as I am looking at one far away
    £100 Spends

So approximately £310 for a nice break for us. The £140 will be covered from my remaining Christmas money and as the break won't be until around June/July time it gives me plenty of time to save the other £170.

I feel that the whole Christmas period has just been awful for DS, we haven't managed to do anything nice due to illnesses and this break will be a nice reward for me after my second round of exams.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    That sounds like a really nice idea and will give you both something yo look forward to :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,733 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That would be lovely. A beautiful nice break for the two of you to make memories. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    It will be a lovely break for us, just collecting some particular codes from a paper that I will never talk about. I've worked out that it will cost around the £140 mark for the dates and site I want although it would be lovely if it came in below this.

Today has been quite productive, submitted a piece of work and I will start another piece later on after spending a little quality time with DS, hopefully I will get a good chunk of it finished as it is due on Friday and I also have 2 exams to revise for this week, plus another 3 next week.

I have so much going on at the moment, lots to do and think about. I have around £100 to last me for the remainder of the month (food and day to day costs), everything else has been covered.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    hopefully you can get it in under the £140 mark that you want to. Then you can use some of that for the spending money when you are there.

Good luck for the exams. Hope they go well for you.

Will the £100 be enough to last you? Hopefully it will as it's awful when you under budget and you end up worse off or having to use money from elsewhere. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Exams are in full swing and I barely have any time to do anything. My budgeting hasn't been the best over the last few days but I have absolutely no time to even look at my budgets at the moment. Another exam in the morning and then I am going to take the rest of tomorrow off to spend some time with DS. Next week will be absolutely awful, I will have even less time but then things should calm down. I will try and get some time tomorrow to have a look at how much damage has been done and work everything out so that I don't have to take anything from elsewhere.

Received an email to say that I have been unsuccessful in my current account application, I'm not entirely sure why. I had to call them a couple of days ago to clarify some information, I am guessing that they don't like that my income is not from a stable job and they also know that I wouldn't have used the account as my main account as I made it obvious on the application. It's just strange because I already have a credit card with them which I might now just cancel. I'm more annoyed that it will now show on my credit file as a rejection just as I was beginning to make my credit file look as strong as I possibly can. It shouldn't be a huge problem as I still have a few years to go before I look at applying for mortgages.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well, I should check in again soon although it could be another week before I get a chance to.
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Break leg with the exams! Concentrate on those and DS and sort out the finances when you have the time and mental space x
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Good luck with the exams and don't worry about anything else at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport