MBI and Northern Powerhouse Developments

Options

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dimitra wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't the UK government do something about these schemes? I live in Greece
    As Malthusian points out this scheme is "unregulated". As a normal retail investor you should always stick to regulated schemes which are much better policed.

You can find out whether a company is regulated by looking on the FCA register: https://register.fca.org.uk/

If you invest in an unregulated scheme you are on your own swimming in a pool full of sharks. I don't recommend it.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 December 2018 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Dimitra wrote: »
    Ps: opulent, the very helpful agents that did everything in order for me to buy the room, apart from disapearing when i withdrawed from the purchase, i wrote them about the deposit claiming that when i come to London i'll pass from their office to look for another more secure investment (i thought that maybe this way they would want to keep me as a client and so be more helpful) and you know what the did exactly the same day? They changed their address in a small town called Sandurburry or so. Incredible people!
    Actually Sandhurst. They appear to have moved the registered address to the home address of the two people who own and run the company, Mr Sanjit Singh Dhanjal and Mr Frank Talia.
    They live here: https://goo.gl/maps/oKoarLXVP7U2
    I expect they would like nothing more than for you to turn up on their door step demanding your money back :rotfl:

P.S. I had a look at Opulent Investments web site. I am no expert but I believe it breaks the law in several ways:
    * it does not show the correct Registered Address
    * it does not display their company number
    * It does not show its place of registration
    * Unregulated firms are not allowed to advertise investments directly to retail customers (unless a regulated firm approves the advert). That includes web sites which in their case advertises specific hotel room sales.

Though actually getting anyone to take much interest in an unregulated firm is another matter.
  • sp03323
    Options
    I had a payment due mid October, was then promised early Dec, then 20th Dec -- neither happened.. Did you get your payment
  • moneyfoolish
    moneyfoolish Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 December 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    Actually Sandhurst. They appear to have moved the registered address to the home address of the two people who own and run the company, Mr Sanjit Singh Dhanjal and Mr Frank Talia.
    They live here: https://goo.gl/maps/oKoarLXVP7U2
    I expect they would like nothing more than for you to turn up on their door step demanding your money back :rotfl:

P.S. I had a look at Opulent Investments web site. I am no expert but I believe it breaks the law in several ways:
    * it does not show the correct Registered Address
    * it does not display their company number
    * It does not show its place of registration
    * Unregulated firms are not allowed to advertise investments directly to retail customers (unless a regulated firm approves the advert). That includes web sites which in their case advertises specific hotel room sales.

Though actually getting anyone to take much interest in an unregulated firm is another matter.
    I'm a football fan and I thought I recognised the name Frank Talia. He was a goalkeeper from Australian with an Italian ancestory who played for a few clubs in England but mainly for Swindon Town and Wycombe Wanderers. He only stopped playing in 2007 and has already had directorships with 3 dissolved companies in addition to Opulent!
  • Paulus237
    Options
    Anyone else have updates on repayments from NPD?
    I invested 4 years ago with MBI - now NPD in Hawthorn Care Village. First repayment was due to start November 2018. When that didn't happen I was given excuses over admin issues and asked to recomplete some forms for data protection. Given a new date mid-January 2019. That has now passed and I am being given big excuses of business admin problems and the appointment of a new FD. All not looking good at all.
  • Chrism03
    Chrism03 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just looked at their web site, purely out of interest and tried to book one of their "operational" hotels ... nope, narda, no can do.

A quick google image such on the lakeside manor hotelhttps://www.northernpd.com/asset/lakeside-manor-hotel/

is actually the monk fryston hall hotel https://www.monkfrystonhallhotel.co.uk/gallery/the-hotel/
  • Damastor
    Options
    I have read with interest the various posts on this thread re MBI Consulting and Npd.

We purchased a room in the Llandudno Bay Hotel in 2016. We have stayed at the hotel on a couple of occasions, the purchase was completed with MBI, a few months later we were informed that the new company NPD was now in place.

Our return on investment was paid for 2017 and 2018,albeit the second one was 6 weeks late, allegedly down to some data protection issues which I have to say we thought was unlikely.

Our third payment is due shortly and we have just had documents through advising that NPD are now in a position to activate their optional buy back clause at 125% of our original investment. They are able to do this due to ‘ securing funding from organisations that they have been working with’. In the document there are three options on offer,full repayment of the investment as per the contract, reinvestment of the total amount in another NPD property or reinvestment of part of the amount.

The Llandudno Bay I think was the first hotel that was acquired and finished by MBI.

I would be interested to know of any other investors out there who also purchased at this location and if they have been offered the buy out.
  • Mcp
    Options
    I am an NPD investor and so far I have received payments but the discussion I read brought some serious doubts about future payments. Any new info on this will be appreciated. Thanks
  • ashpan
    ashpan Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sp03323 wrote: »
    I had a payment due mid October, was then promised early Dec, then 20th Dec -- neither happened.. Did you get your payment
    Have you had any repayments yet?
    Apart from one person who invested in the Llandudno hotel it seems as if no-one has had any returns, pretty bad publicity for NPD.
    My repayments were put back to Dec 2019 as i 'Divested' from care home to hotel - will i get any returns i wonder?
  • ashpan
    ashpan Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sp03323 wrote: »
    Damastor wrote: »
    I have read with interest the various posts on this thread re MBI Consulting and Npd.

We purchased a room in the Llandudno Bay Hotel in 2016. We have stayed at the hotel on a couple of occasions, the purchase was completed with MBI, a few months later we were informed that the new company NPD was now in place.

Our return on investment was paid for 2017 and 2018,albeit the second one was 6 weeks late, allegedly down to some data protection issues which I have to say we thought was unlikely.

Our third payment is due shortly and we have just had documents through advising that NPD are now in a position to activate their optional buy back clause at 125% of our original investment. They are able to do this due to ‘ securing funding from organisations that they have been working with’. In the document there are three options on offer,full repayment of the investment as per the contract, reinvestment of the total amount in another NPD property or reinvestment of part of the amount.

The Llandudno Bay I think was the first hotel that was acquired and finished by MBI.

I would be interested to know of any other investors out there who also purchased at this location and if they have been offered the buy out.
    Hi, can i ask if you received your repayments monthly or at a different rate? My repayments are due to start in December this year, Im also hoping for a buy-back offer fairly soon after repayments start, which option did you go for?
    NPD seem to be rapidly expanding and also moving into adventure-type holidays as they now have a centre-parcs type village in south wales.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure