Child run into side of my car causing damage + small claims court

Options

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Volvo drivers now?

Motorcycle magazines often use the term "Volvoed".

I have no idea how many expensive cars are bought on credit, but the national statistics these days suggest that around 75% of new cars are bought using PCP, so it's going to be a reasonable number albeit nowhere near 95%. Even if they are on credit, it's doubtful that the owners are all, or even in the majorit, on the brink of financial ruin.

Yea, it's guff.

I'm not saying that's a good way to run one's finances, but it is a reality for many, many people.

Well, of course it's not, but I'd call that uncomfortably close to the edge. I know I'd be sticking to the bike if things were that tight. You make your choice.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Qwert yuip, can you please learn how to quote correctly, if you're going to cut out excerpts of a quote then make sure you terminate the quoted text correctly with the [/QUOTE] tag. You've done this at least twice now and so when your post is subsequently quoted itself nobody can see who's posted what.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Qwert yuip, can you please learn how to quote correctly, if you're going to cut out excerpts of a quote then make sure you terminate the quoted text correctly with the
    tag. You've done this at least twice now and so when your post is subsequently quoted itself nobody can see who's posted what.[/QUOTE]

Yea, well, it's tricky on an iPhone when you're cycling in the dark and a bit long sighted. It'll improve when I get home. Sorry.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    apd100 wrote: »
    Why would you decline to do the right thing?

The right thing to do would have been thankful that the little boy had no more than a few bruises, and thank your lucky stars that his Mother isn't the one threatening you for being negligent. The right thing to do would have been instead of demanding £190 from his parents, is have gone around and asked them how their son was doing, and took him a tub of sweets as a way of an apology.

Grow up, and admit you're trying to save your own !!!.
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 4 October 2017 at 9:10PM
    Options
    The right thing to do would have been thankful that the little boy had no more than a few bruises, and thank your lucky stars that his Mother isn't the one threatening you for being negligent. The right thing to do would have been instead of demanding £190 from his parents, is have gone around and asked them how their son was doing, and took him a tub of sweets as a way of an apology.

Grow up, and admit you're trying to save your own !!!.

Precisely. A very close call that could have ended in disaster. The boy was very lucky and so was the driver.

Say no more and drive carefully.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    There was an incident near here many years ago where a driver fell asleep at the wheel (presumably, in the middle of the night) and drove through a hedge into an orchard, knocking down a couple of apple trees and killing himself. The wealthy farmer presented the bill for two new trees with the widow before the funeral had been held. (Funerals here are generally only two or three days after the death.)
    He didn't make himself very popular with that move. It's still talked about occasionally.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    There was an incident near here many years ago where a driver fell asleep at the wheel (presumably, in the middle of the night) and drove through a hedge into an orchard, knocking down a couple of apple trees and killing himself. The wealthy farmer presented the bill for two new trees with the widow before the funeral had been held. (Funerals here are generally only two or three days after the death.)
    He didn't make himself very popular with that move. It's still talked about occasionally.
    Ahh right I see...... Hate to sound like a horrible conservative here, but wasn't the farmer entitled to his orchard and private land not being trashed?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <shrug> Bill -> insurer.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Ahh right I see...... Hate to sound like a horrible conservative here, but wasn't the farmer entitled to his orchard and private land not being trashed?

Yes, of course. He could probably have left it a while though? Like a few more days, let her get him buried? He was barely cold.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is now being propagated on other threads as "BMW driver cant afford £190 to repair his car as hes financed so heavily he has no money to spare"?

Can anyone direct me to where the O/P said that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure