Brother problems

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,969 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 September 2017 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Did he take your mum as she was happy to be his guarantor but they wouldn't allow her to for some reason? So now he is getting you to do it instead. Saying that as someone has already pointed out surely you would be required to sign something first.

Surely he should have asked your permission first anyhow.

I would be very wary if I were you.

Look after yourself x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    IF it's a direct debit, you shoudl be able to go onto your online banking and review all the DDs that have been set up, and just delete any you don't recognise.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have learned the hard way and am going to cancel and request a new card.

Cancelling the card won't help as your account number/ sort code will be the same. Call the dealership ASAP to find out what he was up to.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure why you're cancelling your card if all you've given him is the sort Code and account number - anyone can get those off a cheque anyway. Or did you give him any other information such as the long card number and security code?
    Why don't you just phone him back and ask why he wanted them? He can't put you as guarantor without you agreeing to it, if he's set up a direct debit you can cancel it and if he's done anything in your name without consent it's fraud. Phone him or your mum and the dealership and ask.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My Brother's a liability too, the ink cartridges cost a fortune.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »

Neither a borrower nor a lender be. So true.

Nothing wrong with being either, provided you've consented with full knowledge of the situation.
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Aaron, if I recall correctly you have a disability and your mum may be continuing to claim benefits and controlling your affairs when you don't need her to. Please contact either social services or your local police (ask to speak to the vulnerable persons officer), what you describe is abuse and you need support in resolving this situation.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being either, provided you've consented with full knowledge of the situation.

Rarely works out really but I understand your sentiments.

I am, however with Polonious from Hamlet... (Wasn't Shakespeare such a prescient man, and it is the same now as it ever was.

Polonius:
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Aaron, if I recall correctly you have a disability and your mum may be continuing to claim benefits and controlling your affairs when you don't need her to. Please contact either social services or your local police (ask to speak to the vulnerable persons officer), what you describe is abuse and you need support in resolving this situation.

Hi Boris,

Thank for your kind words. She is not alright in the head, and hasn't got my disability down to a T when describing me during an assessment for PIP.

We received a form before going down to an assessment as I was previously on DLA asking if I wanted to move to PIP, I repeatedly told my nmother 'No, I can get around fine; cook meals; iron my own clothes; pay bills; bath myself etc' Yet insisted on filling and sending away the form because "it's more money in my pocket" according to her. Completely overshadowing what I said about not wanting to claim PIP because I feel fine.

Upon invitation to the assessment many weeks later she found the cheek to self-diagnose me with anxieties which I don't even suffer from. You either get assessed and diagnosed by your GP, otherwise you don't have it. Then began kicking me gently with her foot when I said the wrong thing than what she wanted me to say just she can pull the wool over the assessors eyes.

She would have said things like:
    "Aaron needs constant supervision when pouring a cup of coffee in case he burned his hand" or "He struggles to understand how to read cooking instructions". Fair enough I have autism but she takes things too far sometimes.

I have been destined to write this post for a long time, but wasn't too sure how to word it properly until now. She's a fraudulent liar.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Rarely works out really but I understand your sentiments.

I am, however with Polonious from Hamlet... (Wasn't Shakespeare such a prescient man, and it is the same now as it ever was.

Polonius:
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

I'm quite happy with my mortgage, as are millions of other people in this country. I'm not living in rented my whole life, paying some BTL landlord's mortgage for them.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure