Brother problems

Options

Comments

• borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    As I said before, if all Aaron has given is his sort code and account number, that in itself is not enough to set up a direct debit. Otherwise anyone I have ever given a cheque to could have cleared my account. I do think there's an element of scaremongering going on here which isn't particularly helpful.
    Having said that the fact that he lives with his mum means that she will have access to an awful lot more, unless of course he keeps all his financial info etc under lock and key which I doubt.

I, in these circumstances would be inclined to open a new/another account and not tell the family I'd done it. Money can be transferred from 1st account to 2nd as it is paid in. I'd also change all passwords pin numbers etc.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    As I said before, if all Aaron has given is his sort code and account number, that in itself is not enough to set up a direct debit. Otherwise anyone I have ever given a cheque to could have cleared my account. I do think there's an element of scaremongering going on here which isn't particularly helpful.

I've never had to give any details other than this to set up direct debits from my own bank account. The form will have needed a signature but the brother undoubtedly would sign in OP's name and the bank would not necessarily pick this up if they were approximately similar.

What extra safeguards do you think are in place when you set up a DD by filling out a third party's payment form?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a link to the only info needed to set up a DD all of which OPs brother now has

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/FAQs/pages/settingupadirectdebit.aspx
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    borkid wrote: »
    Having said that the fact that he lives with his mum means that she will have access to an awful lot more, unless of course he keeps all his financial info etc under lock and key which I doubt.
    The situation is complicated in that Aaron's Mum is his appointee for one of the benefits he receives (which I find odd as I thought an appointee was for if someone can't manage their own affairs so I'd expect someone to be an appointee for both benefits or none as you can either manage your own affairs or you can't).

https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits
    Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits

You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who can’t manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.
    Apparently, his JSA goes directly to him but PIP is paid into his Mum's Post Office account.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Surely, surely a credit check can't be run without written consent (if the person concerned is not present/on the phone)?

In which case, either the dealer has been naughty and need to be reported or your brother forged your signature.

I would ask the dealership for the paperwork relating to the attempt to make you the guarantor.

This situation has not been resolved.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As his brother he will also have all of the other details needed to do other things - like applying for loans and credit cards. He knows his address, date of birth, mothers maiden name. I bet he has access to old payslips so can get his NI number too. The brother has already shown himself to be devious and untrustworthy and obviously capable of fraud. I don't think it's scaremongering at all given the circumstances.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    As his brother he will also have all of the other details needed to do other things - like applying for loans and credit cards. He knows his address, date of birth, mothers maiden name. I bet he has access to old payslips so can get his NI number too. The brother has already shown himself to be devious and untrustworthy and obviously capable of fraud. I don't think it's scaremongering at all given the circumstances.

No he doesn't.
  • borkid
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The situation is complicated in that Aaron's Mum is his appointee for one of the benefits he receives (which I find odd as I thought an appointee was for if someone can't manage their own affairs so I'd expect someone to be an appointee for both benefits or none as you can either manage your own affairs or you can't).

https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits
    Apparently, his JSA goes directly to him but PIP is paid into his Mum's Post Office account.

True but if they wanted to defraud him from his own bank account ie the one where JSA is paid into at least opening another account would mitigate any potential loses. Re mother having PIP paid directly, as others have said he should seek a third party to help.
  • borkid
    Options
    No he doesn't.
    But does you mum have access to your NI number? After what has happened I would consider it the same.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For the record, I don't receive Job Seekers Allowance no longer as I'm working over 16 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure