Brother problems

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I said before, if all Aaron has given is his sort code and account number, that in itself is not enough to set up a direct debit. Otherwise anyone I have ever given a cheque to could have cleared my account. I do think there's an element of scaremongering going on here which isn't particularly helpful.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    As I said before, if all Aaron has given is his sort code and account number, that in itself is not enough to set up a direct debit. Otherwise anyone I have ever given a cheque to could have cleared my account. I do think there's an element of scaremongering going on here which isn't particularly helpful.
    I think it's the intent behind Aaron's brother asking for bank details that is most of concern rather than the fact that he has Aaron's bank account number and sort code.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I can see that. What I don't see is the logic behind telling him to close his account and never tell anyone the details again, as has been suggested.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have clearly outlined that my brother asked me for the following:

Sort code and account number
    Three years work history including monthly income

Where's the scaremongering?
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aaron - have you got a social worker? If so, you should talk this through with him/her.

From what you have written, I would suspect that your brother has put the whole financing of this car in your name, and may have fraudulently signed as you, as you have not been asked to sign anything. Your brother has now got your bank account number and sort code - getting a new card will not change the account number and sort code.

You do need to talk to your bank about this. It looks as if your brother wishes to take over your bank id.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes things are left best said than unsaid, therefore your sentiments on me being incredibly naive on giving my bank and work details, I do have a habit of doing things before thinking of the implications that would be involved and for that, I'm truly an idiot and will make myself more self-aware in the future.

You asked for opinions/advice and I thought it best to point out that it's not 'normal' for someone to ask for those sort of details and not explain why. As you've said you gave the information without thinking it strange.

If it was simply the a/c details then I'd still want to know why. As you said, it's becoming increasingly common to give details for BACS transfer and it can be read off any cheque. However, in this case it was more than that. Aaron's brother has also been given his work history and income information and it's already been used (thankfully unsuccessfully) for a credit check which was leading to being used as a guarantor. His family don't sound trustworthy and I could imagine them using this information again for financial gain. I don't believe it's scaremongering to alert OP to the pitfalls of not being careful with his financial details.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Yes, I can see that. What I don't see is the logic behind telling him to close his account and never tell anyone the details again, as has been suggested.
    I may be wrong but I've not read that any poster has told him to close his account.

This poster suggests setting up a new account but not to close his existing one:
    maman wrote: »
    I think in your position I'd go into the bank and tell them what's happened. You could set up a new account (with a new account number) or even switch to a different bank. Then keep this new one completely private.

I think not giving his brother (or anyone else who doesn't need to know) details of any new account he might set up is pretty good advice.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Aaron, do you realise what your brother was trying to do? What being a guarantor means? He could buy the car, not make a single payment, and you'd have to pay the whole lot. You'd have had to prove that you didn't agree to do it, and without you mum helping you that would have been very difficult. So either your family were trying to land you with a big bill, or they were committing fraud. That's not what a loving, supportive family do.

I've been in a similar position with my family taking advantage of me and I know how hard it is to get out of that situation. I've had a look at some of your past threads and I think you need to get someone on your side who's completely neutral and can see things as they are. Do you think you could see your GP and tell them what your family are doing? They'll know the best place to get help, and can refer you for a social worker or other support worker.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I agree, he can't. I can cancel the Direct Debits I don't recognise, but can see your point whereby I shouldn't have to do that.

But armed with that info I could apply for a credit card in your name, intercept the card/pin & rack up debts for you
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I have taken a look at OB, and see no transactions nor withdrawals being made. His paperwork is lying around in the kitchen while he takes a shower and it seems Bristol Street Motors have taken payment of £200 from his 16 digit card number, but doesn't say what for on the receipt.

It also doesn't say anything about me on the paper work.

Does anyone know when you first buy a car, do they just take an initial payment?
    When hubby and I bought a car I paid the intial deposit with my CC and then the DD came from his account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure